Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > How to convert a client from using Frontpage to update site

How to convert a client from using Frontpage to update site
xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 07:22 AM

I searched for this kind of topic but didn't find any similar threads. I'm redesigning a site for a hotel, and will use CSS for styling and layout. Unfortunately, my client would like to use Frontpage to maintain the content. To be fair, I've never touched Frontpage, but I've heard enough to scare me that this software will screw up the new site when she updates the content.

Is there anything equally user-friendly (her words, not mine) on the PC side that she could use that wouldn't trash the code?

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 11:06 AM

Contribute gives you (as the designer) more control over what can be edited and what can't. Although it's far from perfect, I'd recommend it over FrontPage any day.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Macola
Contribute gives you (as the designer) more control over what can be edited and what can't. Although it's far from perfect, I'd recommend it over FrontPage any day.
I'll check it out -thanks. Does it play well with rendering CSS properly? I've got DW MX, and in preview mode, css layouts look messed up.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon
I'll check it out -thanks. Does it play well with rendering CSS properly? I've got DW MX, and in preview mode, css layouts look messed up.
It renders basic CSS formatting reasonably well, but I've noticed problems with CSS positioning. However, I'm still using Contribute 2, so maybe it's improved in 3.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 06:31 PM

what sort of updating do they want to do?

if it is just news and stuff, could you use php includes and then include a .txt file for the news, and let them just edit this text file with their news.

Stelex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 10:53 AM

They might try NVU (www.nvu.com) it's free and similar to Contribute. She can edit the page that is on the web, basically download page into editor, do the changes and save directly to server.

Otherwise, if the updates are rather textual stuff you might use either txt file or basic hmtl as includes and you can control the formatting by CSS.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stelex
They might try NVU (www.nvu.com) it's free and similar to Contribute.
Looks promising, especially for my cash-strapped nonprofit clients. I didn't see a way for a webmaster to set up permission-based groups, though. That's a critical feature in Contribute.

Forum Links
Forum Rules