Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [release] Tiger UltraBlue

[release] Tiger UltraBlue
the_plan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2005, 12:53 AM

Well, it's a minor mod. It just updates Tiger to be smoother, silkier, glossier, and bluer.

I managed to get the System Preference toolbar to look like it does in default Tiger, which I prefer over ShapeShifter's default fix.

Screenshot:
http://www.imacfreak.com/themes/ultrablue.jpg

Download:
http://www.imacfreak.com/themes/Tige...lue.guiKit.zip

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2005, 06:55 AM

Interesting.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2005, 03:29 PM

I'm really trying, but I see no difference at all...
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

sofamystic
Jun 19, 2005, 03:51 PM

the label colours are more pastel- like is one thing i noticed. nice but not really my cup of tea. thanks for sharing, though.
Some people wear their heart up on their sleeve.
I wear mine underneath my right pant leg,
strapped to my boot.

the_plan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MacDog
I'm really trying, but I see no difference at all...
See no difference in what? Between Tiger default and Tiger UltraBlue? Perhaps that screen shot wasn't the best example.

First and foremost, most of the aqua and graphite buttons are more vivid and have more contrast. Same with the window titlebar widgets. There's no pinstripes anywhere in my theme. I like the Smoothstripes theme, but I hate the way ShapeShifter doesn't keep the unified toolbar in Tiger, and replaces the bevel buttons (like those in System Preferences) with really ugly buttons, so I fixed that. Menu highlight blues have also been changed. I changed the labels to be flat, instead of the beveled look Aqua default has, which I can't stand. Scroll bars and progress bars have been updated also since Apple hasn't updated those since 10.0.

This theme is not a complete change from Aqua default at all. I'm of the opinion that Aqua default is near perfect, and so I just changed the things I didn't like about it. I'm not a big user of big flashy themes that completely change everything and usually render the UI unusable. As I said before, this is a subtle mod. It's basically my version of, and a little more modified than, Max's Aqua Extreme.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Jun 19, 2005, 08:05 PM

Good job! Thanks for sharing.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

janeiro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2005, 04:45 PM

"I like the Smoothstripes theme, but I hate the way ShapeShifter doesn't keep the unified toolbar in Tiger"

Me too! Thanks for this theme

the_plan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2005, 06:08 PM

Thanks for this theme
You're very welcome... and here is an update. http://www.imacfreak.com/themes/Tige...lue.guiKit.zip

There are a some minor changes many of you might not even notice. I put in a little more contrast in the push buttons, and changed the toolbar buttons a little bit in Mail.app.

janeiro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 06:58 PM

I'll stick with the old one, cause the only thing I don't like is the flat label, and this new version put mail button that way.

Anyway thanks

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 07:11 PM

You wanna explain a little more about his for me...how does it work? How do I install it? Do you have more screenshots?

the_plan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 08:30 PM

You install it as a GUIkit. You need Tiger and ShapeShifter to run this theme.

I'm surprised people don't like the flattened labels. OS X default labels are hideous (they look too Windows-ish to me), and was one of the first things I was sure to change for this theme. Same goes for the Mail.app toolbar icons.

Anyway, I've been using this theme personally for months, and just wanted to share.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 08:46 PM

i'm on a brand new machine and have yet to haxify it with shapeshifter. can you give us a fuller preview showing off some of the elements you're talking about? just the syspref panel hardly constitutes a 'preview'

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

the_plan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2005, 04:07 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules