Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Up for a Challenge --- A BIG CHALLENGE?

Up for a Challenge --- A BIG CHALLENGE?
midevilone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2005, 10:17 PM

Ok, so I am a die hard mac user since version Os Version 6 (WAY BACK IN THE DAY).
I also think very differently.

I am an inventor.

I have invented a voice control / touch screen system for use in cars. it does DVD, MP3, GPS, and CONTROLS YOUR CAR AMENITIES WITH VOICE COMMANDS.

That being said, I need a Flash GUI for it.

As I am on a shoestring, I have no budget, but I am loyal and I would give you ample credit and a link to your commercial design site in the credits of the application if you would an GUI in flash for my program.

Oh, yeah did I mention this thing will be in several Car Mags befor the year's out.

e-mail me: [email protected]
( Last edited by midevilone; Jun 14, 2005 at 11:16 PM. Reason: More relevant title...)

macamac
Baninated
Jun 15, 2005, 05:30 PM

Have you had any takers/

midevilone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2005, 12:44 AM

Not yet. Are you interested?

loki74
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 01:14 AM

what? I emailed you yesterday... guess it didnt work.

basically I said that...
I have experience in 2D Illustration (pencil+paper and Photoshop), 3D Imaging/Animation, Flash/Vector graphics, etc. I also have done some application development in the past, as well as web development currently, both of which have brought me some good UI design skills.

I have recieved payment for my work in logo and web design, as well as some 3D Animation/Film work. I am currently serving two clients.

Your invention sounds very intruiging, and its upcoming apperance in some car mags isn't a turn-off either.

I demand from myself a high level of professionalism, and I think my work is professional-grade. (not to gloat or anything...) But dont take my word for it--if you would like to see some of my work, please PM me, or email to [email protected]. PM might be better, seeing as how my email didnt manage to get through.

Regards,
-Sig Wong

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

midevilone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
what? I emailed you yesterday... guess it didnt work.

basically I said that...
I have experience in 2D Illustration (pencil+paper and Photoshop), 3D Imaging/Animation, Flash/Vector graphics, etc. I also have done some application development in the past, as well as web development currently, both of which have brought me some good UI design skills.

I have recieved payment for my work in logo and web design, as well as some 3D Animation/Film work. I am currently serving two clients.

Your invention sounds very intruiging, and its upcoming apperance in some car mags isn't a turn-off either.

I demand from myself a high level of professionalism, and I think my work is professional-grade. (not to gloat or anything...) But dont take my word for it--if you would like to see some of my work, please PM me, or email to [email protected]. PM might be better, seeing as how my email didnt manage to get through.

Regards,
-Sig Wong
I am interested in your work, not sure why I didn't get your e-mail, can you send me links to your samples...

doucy2
Senior User
Jun 16, 2005, 09:45 AM

when ou get this thing to work holler at me i would def put one in my car

midevilone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2005, 10:17 AM

Willdo. It works like a champ now, but just ned to pretty up the UI.

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 01:35 AM

Ok I went ahead and sent an email. If you didnt get it, tell me and I'll PM you a link to the zip file...

-Sig Wong

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2005, 07:57 AM

If you're going to put the user interface above into cars, I would strongly urge you to reconsider.

You demand your clients to press »rotate« repeatedly to bring their desired option into view, for no other reason than to provide an appealing interface. Allowing the user to press and hold the rotate button is an even worse option, since that would claim their constant focus as to know when to stop pressing.

If you MUST use a dial, which I think is a bad idea, the dial has no origin to which it snaps back upon every menu selection (at least from what I understand). This means that there is no way for your users to learn the interface: The action required to select for instance »MP3« is depending on the current state of the dial. Hence your dial is mode-driven, which should be avoided if possible (and in this case, it is possible). Especially in cars.

Instead, you have choosen restart, shut down and exit as the three most accessible menu items at all times. The application won't be able to start up from a press on the screen (since it isn't operating), which means that you need a conventional button outside of the user interface. If you let that button also shut down the application, the shut down option can be removed from the interface. Furthermore a restart is in fact a shut down and a start up, meaning this option can be removed as well. By making the button a »pushable« spring button, you can allow the user to feel if it's pressed or depressed.

About the dial again: Consider in what environment your gadget will be operated. Narrow country roads, tunnels at 55 mph, streets in the suburbs with 7-yearolds playing soccer. Unfortunately, people are stupid enough to watch DVD movies while driving, given the option. The least you can do is create an interface that requires a minimum of visual attention.

There was a car accident in Norway a couple of years ago, in which a young girl was killed by a man driving while composing an sms message on his cellular. Apparently, the user interface for composing sms' was bad enough to require him to take his eyes off the road.

The consensus: you have selected a large enough screen to host all of the 14+ menu options in a neat manner without any clutter. I think you should use this. Display all of the 14 menu options at all times, directly accessible, reducing the time needed to take the eyes of the road from five seconds to one.

If you're up for a real challenge, a better option would be to invent a fully tactile interface, that once learned can be operated without looking. Just like the rest of the car's user interface: the steering wheel, pedals, turn signals etcetera.

I hope you didn't take this post as an insult of any kind - that was never my intention. I'm an interaction designer myself, and as I read your post I simply wanted to point out a few thoughts that might improve your invention.

Yose
Senior User
Jun 20, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by cla
I hope you didn't take this post as an insult of any kind - that was never my intention. I'm an interaction designer myself, and as I read your post I simply wanted to point out a few thoughts that might improve your invention.
What steps did you make before becoming an "interaction designer"? This is an area that interests me greatly.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

midevilone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 09:47 PM

Hi, thanks for your input on the UI.

I will take what you said and run with it. My primary reason for this UI setup was to place the most frequently accessed menu items on the screen in a large size and visually appealing way. After testing the device in the car for almost 2 years now, the larger the icons the better.

I appreciate your input. If you're interested in collaborating for credits in the device, please let me know.

thank you.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2005, 09:06 AM

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by midevilone
I appreciate your input. If you're interested in collaborating for credits in the device, please let me know.
I can't promise anything, but I could give it a try. I would then need to know more about the gadget. Do you have a prototype of the user interface, i e tasks, buttons, menus and submenus, and how they relate to each other? Or, if you have a thorough specification of the gadget, I could try creating a lo-fi prototype for you.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by cla
There was a car accident in Norway a couple of years ago, in which a young girl was killed by a man driving while composing an sms message on his cellular. Apparently, the user interface for composing sms' was bad enough to require him to take his eyes off the road.

The user interface was not the problem. The fact that he was composing an SMS while driving was the problem.

In my mind sending SMS, reading e-mail, watching DVDs, talking on the phone, eating Big Macs and applying makeup should all be illegal while driving. But then that would make sense.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2005, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by art_director
The user interface was not the problem. The fact that he was composing an SMS while driving was the problem.

In my mind sending SMS, reading e-mail, watching DVDs, talking on the phone, eating Big Macs and applying makeup should all be illegal while driving. But then that would make sense.
AD- You forgot reading a newspaper, putting on make-up, even shaving- with a razor & cream- not even an electric... go figger!

W2

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 09:00 AM

Westbo -- You're right, thanks for catching my laziness.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2005, 04:13 PM

I don't mean to be an ass**** but you "invented" a voice navigated system? What did you use? The 2 trillion other voice recognition systems in existance? What's unique about yours? All I see is a very very POORLY done idea. I guess if your creating something for in-car "sucking" is a requirement. No good interface exists for incar. They all in my humble opinion blow chunks.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by art_director
Right you are. The problem is that it's legal to SMS, read e-mail, watch DVD's and bake a cake while driving, and people are unfortunately dumb enough to do so. I'm powerless, and the only thing I can do as an interaction designer is to provide the best possible user interface.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by ashtoash
I don't mean to be an ass**** but you "invented" a voice navigated system? What did you use? The 2 trillion other voice recognition systems in existance? What's unique about yours? All I see is a very very POORLY done idea. I guess if your creating something for in-car "sucking" is a requirement. No good interface exists for incar. They all in my humble opinion blow chunks.
well thanks for the help. The guy didn't ask for a commentary, he asked if there was someone willing to work with. I'm sure he spent a great deal of time getting this thing to work, and even if your *opinion* happens to be accurate (unlikely) I'm sure nobody would appreciate that kind of rippage on a project this far in development. I think its a good idea for one, and I wouldnt mind having one in my car. I'm damned if there is no market for a product like this.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 09:10 AM

I have no interest in entering the typical MacNN pissing match but I will point out that the original poster did not ask for someone to work with them. They asked for free design help.

It's been said before and I'll say it again:

DON'T DO FREE WORK.

If this product gets off the ground there could be money made. However, you'll note the original poster did not offer to share anything other than credit for the GUI design. He / she may be planning to throw in some sort of financial compesation but that has not been stated.

For some reason people and businesses in the US do not place any value on design but it does have value. For reference I point you to the work Apple has been doing. There is value but people in this country are too ignorant to see it.

I will not pass judgement on the person who started this thread but I will say his / her offer, as it stands, is not fair to anyone who does the GUI work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules