Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So, what was your last stock trade?

So, what was your last stock trade?
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 5, 2005, 10:14 AM

What was your most recent stock trade?

To start this thread off... Mine was Nortel (TSX, NYSE).

Railroader
Banned
Jul 5, 2005, 10:22 AM

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2005, 01:53 PM

Yeah, I should have said: "What was your most recent stock or bond or mutual fund, etc. purchase?"

I'm sticking with stocks for the moment for a discount brokerage experiment. I have a separate managed account, and this discount brokerage account is really just for testing the waters.

Too bad I didn't do this when Apple was still under $25 (before the split). I had wanted to buy, but didn't really think it'd go to more than $35 (or $17.50 by today's numbers after the split), and my finances weren't really set up for it at the time.

doucy2
Senior User
Jul 5, 2005, 01:56 PM

RAD (rite aid) 400 shares
looking to get some apple soon

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 02:01 PM

i just sold AH, and doubled my position on ATYT since it is so low right now.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 02:40 PM

My last major purchase was many years ago when I purchased a small cap, value fund (Fidelity Low Price Stocks) and I have watched it increase. For those into long term investing and not trading, I offer a comment from Mark Hulbert in last Sunday's NY Times, Financial section.

"By definition, an overvalued stock has a larger market capitalization than would otherwise be the case. Its price-to-book ratio is also higher, and thus it is closer to the growth end of the growth-value spectrum. Portfolios of large growth stocks will contain a disproportionate number of overvalued issues, and should, on average, lag behind the market.

The opposite is the case for undervalued stocks. So small-cap value portfolios will have more than their share of them and should beat the market in the long term.

Notice that this argument does not depend on anyone being able to identify the particular undervalued or overvalued companies. Nor does it depend on a specific definition of fair value. All that is required is that some stocks are overvalued and some undervalued. Only the most diehard believer in market efficiency would deny this precondition."
sam

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 02:48 PM

I can't say what my last two were, but the one before that was T, AT&T. I bought some last August and recently doubled my stake in it.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Garage81
i just sold AH, and doubled my position on ATYT since it is so low right now.
I was looking at ATI myself, but don't have the extra cash right now. I could see it going a bit lower, but not too much lower. ie. It does seem like a pretty good deal at the moment.

BTW, I told a friend to buy when it was under CAD$5 many years ago. He was happy.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 03:05 PM

Other than regular investment in my IRA and re-evaluating & shuffling mutuals every year, my last trade was a while back: a nice chunk of SIRI.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I was looking at ATI myself, but don't have the extra cash right now. I could see it going a bit lower, but not too much lower. ie. It does seem like a pretty good deal at the moment.
Arggh. I just transferred some cash into the acct to buy ATY, but it takes a couple of days for the money to show up. It jumped 8% today before I could buy. I have no understanding as to why either. AFAIK, there was no ATY news today. Maybe it's just the general buying binge today by everyone.

RonnieoftheRose
Jul 8, 2005, 01:55 PM

Arggh. I just transferred some cash into the acct to buy ATY, but it takes a couple of days for the money to show up. It jumped 8% today before I could buy. I have no understanding as to why either. AFAIK, there was no ATY news today. Maybe it's just the general buying binge today by everyone.
Careful what you buy. It's ATYT now. It's still cheap though for what it is.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2005, 01:56 PM

I live in Canada. It's ATY on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

nickw311
Senior User
Jul 8, 2005, 03:53 PM

I bought shares in RPM - a chemical company out of Ohio and it pays a very high dividend compared to its cost. They have also raised their dividends annually for the last 40 years. This is something I would like to retire on if it continues to grow.
27" iMac C2D

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=Eug Wanker]What was your most recent stock trade?

Picked up some IIJI for it's couple of days run up, then went into CRDN.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 12:02 PM

I haven't made my first stock trade yet.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Sealobo
Jul 9, 2005, 03:47 PM

Sold 400 shares of HSBC @ HKD124

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 9, 2005, 04:00 PM

My last stock trade was at the supermarket when i bought two cans of chicken stock to make soup with...

(I haven't invested yet, alas.)

tooki

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
My last stock trade was at the supermarket when i bought two cans of chicken stock to make soup with...

(I haven't invested yet, alas.)

tooki
But indeed you have. You've invested the value of your dollars for the equity of the soup.

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 04:34 PM

I like to wait for the 3rd consecutive up day with corresponding volume and a crossover MACD indicator.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2005, 04:50 PM

I bought some PLAY (PortalPlayer, who makes some of the decoding chips in the iPod) a few months ago at around $17. I sold at around $22, before it dove back to $18. I was thinking of buying some more back then but didn't. Now it's back up to $22!

I'm currently trying to establish when to sell some of my AAPL. I still think it's a good long-term investment, but not a good short-term one and I'm looking to take some of my profits....

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2005, 04:56 PM

I've done well lately. Bought PTC at 23 and sold around 31, 33% gain in 6 weeks. Bought LUFK at 30, it's now around 42 after 3 months.

I do like ATYT, but bottom fishing scares me.

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by dreilly1
I bought some PLAY (PortalPlayer, who makes some of the decoding chips in the iPod) a few months ago at around $17. I sold at around $22, before it dove back to $18. I was thinking of buying some more back then but didn't. Now it's back up to $22!

I'm currently trying to establish when to sell some of my AAPL. I still think it's a good long-term investment, but not a good short-term one and I'm looking to take some of my profits....
This is not a time to do anything with AAPL. It's been moving sideways since the split.
Do you use the charts? They are more than a little helpful in making trading decisions. Here is a good site: http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui
If you don't understand them, they have a great tutorial 'Chart School'. Seems the market is waiting to see if Apple is a music company or a hardware/OS company.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 05:03 PM

I purchased 50 shares of Apple stock at $36. I also purchased 20 shares of VAXGEN.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
I've done well lately. Bought PTC at 23 and sold around 31, 33% gain in 6 weeks. Bought LUFK at 30, it's now around 42 after 3 months.

I do like ATYT, but bottom fishing scares me.
I don't know what cause the jump in LUFK. Probably Hurricaine Dennis. Oil stocks are doing ok right now. I picked up WTI while it was idling around $20.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by medicineman
I don't know what cause the jump in LUFK. Probably Hurricaine Dennis. Oil stocks are doing ok right now. I picked up WTI while it was idling around $20.
Well, they are on track to make $.68-.72 a share compared to original estimate of $.45-.55. Reports of accelerated quarterly earnings usually causes a gap upwards like that. It certainly doesn't hurt that they're in the business of making oil field equipment either.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 07:35 PM

IgotagooddealonEnronstock!

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by doucy2
RAD (rite aid) 400 shares
looking to get some apple soon
Why did you buy RAD? I'm not questioning your decision... just wondering what research others do before buying stock. I jumped in to stock trading fall of last year after doing a ton of studying on the subject. This is a hobby that I hope will allow me to retire in my 40's if I play it right. Most people I talk to about stock investing have no interest in it and regard it as no different than gambling. It's only gambling if you don't know what you're doing and you don't do any research.

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
Well, they are on track to make $.68-.72 a share compared to original estimate of $.45-.55. Reports of accelerated quarterly earnings usually causes a gap upwards like that. It certainly doesn't hurt that they're in the business of making oil field equipment either.
That's a nice dividend. But I'm in a different position than you are, being somewhat older. I'd like to pick up a few hundred shares then ride it up $2 or $3, then sell. Consequently, I chart watch very carefullly. MSN Money has a nice feature: http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...asp?Symbol=ibm tells you where the big money is going. They drive the market these days. And I use SharpCharts for everyday charting.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2005, 08:38 PM

So that's why. There is speculation ATY/ATYT is a takeover target. Dammit I hope it doesn't jump again on Monday, because I still haven't got the money into that account.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by medicineman
This is not a time to do anything with AAPL. It's been moving sideways since the split.
Do you use the charts? They are more than a little helpful in making trading decisions. Here is a good site: http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui
If you don't understand them, they have a great tutorial 'Chart School'. Seems the market is waiting to see if Apple is a music company or a hardware/OS company.
I've read up a little bit about charting, and I agree that the stockcharts.com site is a great site. I learned a lot from some of the public charts on the site. I even subscribed to it for a while. (and at that time, the site didn't like Safari very much, so I had to use firefox. )I haven't really had the time lately to keep up with it, though. Technical analysis is definitely something that you need to study just about daily to get any benefit our of it.

As far as the Apple stock goes, rest assured I'm not selling all of it. Since I bought that block of stock at a post-split average of about 14, I want to lock in some of those gains while my tax situation is favorable this year and do something with the money! My main concern right now is what the earnings report is going to do to the stock, and whether I should sell just before the earnings report. I've seen in the past that when the stock inches up before the report on favorable rumors, it inevitably goes down after the report is released, no matter how good the report is, and takes a while to recover that loss. "Buy on rumor and sell on news", I guess....

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules