Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G4 has memory loss in PRAM??

iMac G4 has memory loss in PRAM??
Wardy
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2002, 08:09 PM

I had a weird experience this morning.

I shut down (not sleep) my iMac G4 800MHz last night and this morning I turned it on again. It booted into MacOS 9 and asked me to register and all the "Welcome" wizard stuff.

So, I cancelled out of it and found my background picture had gone back to the wavy blue lines. The clock was wrong too.

I rebooted into Mac OS X via the startup disk panel and my data all seemed to be intact but still the wrong bg pic and clock time

Anyone else seen this?

TIA
iMac G4 800Mhz, 1Gb; Mac OS 10.3; Canon S200SP; Zip 250 USB; Canon MV30i; iPod 40Gb; Canon PowerShot G3; UMAX 1220U
iMac Rev A, 96Mb, MacOS 9.2.2

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2002, 08:27 PM

i have had my imac start up with a different background picture, but not since i have gotten rid of classic. also when i used to use classic the time would be off by a couple hours. maybe its a bug i'm not sure.
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2002, 08:32 PM

Sometimes when I start up my new iMac (700 Combo Drive Model) it has the wrong time...and have to keep re-setting it

Wardy  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by macthelastredman:
<STRONG>i have had my imac start up with a different background picture, but not since i have gotten rid of classic. also when i used to use classic the time would be off by a couple hours. maybe its a bug i'm not sure.</STRONG>
Well, I was running Classic when I shut down. I think I've previously either just put it to sleep or shut down Classic first.

I wonder if the clock thing is the different operating systems fighting with each other on occasion
iMac G4 800Mhz, 1Gb; Mac OS 10.3; Canon S200SP; Zip 250 USB; Canon MV30i; iPod 40Gb; Canon PowerShot G3; UMAX 1220U

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2002, 08:59 PM

Every now and then switching OSes can invoke a PR-zap, but I only thought this happened when you booted with command-X

I'm not exactly sure why, but I've had times where my clock goes out like that (just a LOT more on my bro's imac, every time I turn it on it's wrong.)

I'm lucky I dont use the imac because that little clock is the place I always look (unless I'm playing quake 3) lol
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Wardy  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
<STRONG>I'm not exactly sure why, but I've had times where my clock goes out like that (just a LOT more on my bro's imac, every time I turn it on it's wrong.)</STRONG>
My clock has been playing up since we went out of daylight savings.

FWIW, my guess is the NTP server and the local time zone are the culprits ...

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: Wardy ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules