Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Looking for a good digital reflex camera...?

Looking for a good digital reflex camera...?
HamSandwich
Jul 14, 2005, 05:53 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a good but payable digital reflex camera. It shouldn't be more than 900 Euros, so I currently eye the Nikon D70s and the Canon EOS 350D, both of which are in the same price range (700-800 Euros, only the case) and seem to be up on par in many ways.

Does anyone of you have any experience with one or both of these cameras? If so, a report would be neat.

Or can anyone suggest a different camera? I wouldn't mind, those were the result of a somewhat quick web search...

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Headshot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2005, 07:36 PM

Forget it, get a Fuji S3.

Long live the Super CCD.

Headshot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2005, 07:38 PM

Sorry, I just saw the price constaint.
Go with the Canon. It handles hi-lites better.

dannyn
Jul 15, 2005, 01:23 AM

What you really need to do is try each camera yourself. When you're spending that kind of money on a camera, you need to test them to make sure the suit your needs/desires.

When I was shopping for a digital SLR, I was considering the Nikon D70 (the D70s is just a minor update) and the Canon 350D. I ended up going for the D70, because that was the right camera for me.

While the 350D looked good on paper, I absolutely did not like the feel of it. It was too small for me to handle, and the control scheme just didn't click with me. The hand grip was actually too cramped for me to hold the camera comfortably, and the whole camera felt too light-weight and fragile.

The D70, on the other hand, was much larger and sturdier. Looking at the D70 (and D70s) and the 350D side by side, the D70 looks absolutely massive -- or the 350D looks very tiny. The D70 fit my grip much better, and the heft felt more comfortable to me.

This is not to say that the 350D is a bad camera. In fact, it's a great camera. Both the D70s and the 350D can shoot amazing images, provided that you know what you're doing. Just like a car, you need to test drive it before plunking down the cash. What might look good on paper may not work well once you get your hands on it.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

th3ph17
Jul 19, 2005, 11:55 AM

i love the way the d70 feels. [have shot extensively using d70, fuji's, canon 1d, d60.]

The Canon 350D feels too small. I shoot a Canon d60--bigger--and it also has a batterey extension pack with dual controls for shooting vertical.

if you want to shoot Canon, but it feels too small, i highly recommend it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Type=accessory

it allows you to run 2 batteries, and it is much more comfortable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules