Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Web/Mail Server over DSL?

Web/Mail Server over DSL?
selowitch
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 11:19 AM

Is it all possible to do create a low-budget web/mail server in your own home connected over DSL? Is it practical? Do many folks actually do that? Or is it too impractical because of a lack of bandwidth?

I assume that for anything serious you'd need to get a T-1/DS3, right?

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 12:45 PM

Usually DSL upstream is capped pretty low, around 384K. At least here, all DSL accounts, the upstream is capped at 384K, even on the 1.5M and 3M downstream accounts.

It would probably be ok for like a small site or a personal site, but I personally would not use it for anything serious, unless you have a nice upstream.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 05:07 PM

I do it now. Works well enough for me, but I'm not hosting anything serious or handling large amounts of mail. About the only time I really notice the slow upstream is when I'm trying to download a particularly large attachment.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2005, 06:13 PM

http://teamstats.macnn.com is on a DSL line with 896kbps upload.

It's quite possible to host on DSL, I've done it before for a while, always with at least 768kbps upload though, and using higher quality DSL services with static IPs and the like.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2005, 07:54 PM

>>Is it all possible to do create a low-budget web/mail server in your own home connected over DSL? Is it practical? Do many folks actually do that? Or is it too impractical because of a lack of bandwidth?

I've been running web, ftp, mail, and other services off my home box for years. Given the "outbound" bandwidth caps most providers set it's only practical if your needs fit within the limits of your dsl service.

FWIW: If all you want to do is make a home page/blog for friends and family you'll be fine....

Forum Links
Forum Rules