Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Has anybody else's Tiger X11 gone mad?

Has anybody else's Tiger X11 gone mad?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2005, 04:28 AM

Since I upgraded to Tiger I'm having the weirdest problems with X11 and I'm sure these are problems that weren't around with before the update.

• X11 doesn't always hide its windows with cmd-h. Sometimes it does, but not always. When it doesn't you need to select hide from a menu.

• When unhiding, X11 Windows do not appear front most. Instead they're buried beneath other windows and you need to use Expose to go and find them.

• Some apps I run remotely on Linux servers (Scientific Linux) crash on startup (no X11 window, just a terminal message that says the launch is being aborted) with the weirdest error messages, like:
Code:
[bash BASE=/prod]$ X Error of failed request: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) Major opcode of failed request: 18 (X_ChangeProperty) Atom id in failed request: 0x1bd Serial number of failed request: 12 Current serial number in output stream: 15 [1]+ Exit 1 pep.tcl
• Other apps launch fine, but then doing the wrong thing in their X11 windows will get them to crash. For example when I use Emacs on one of my Linux PCs (Redhat Enterprise) remotely, and I have two buffers loaded, I can't move the divider or Emacs will crash immediately:
Code:
[bash BASE=/prod]$ X protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) on protocol request 38 [1]+ Exit 70 emacs
Now since the linux PCs and servers, the network or any of the apps haven't been changed lately and I know that all these X11 apps work fine if you run them from remote Linux PCs (various distributions), I figure it must have something to do with Tiger's X11.

Is anybody experiencing similar problems? Are there any work-arounds?

beno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2005, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
• When unhiding, X11 Windows do not appear front most. Instead they're buried beneath other windows and you need to use Expose to go and find them.
This is the only one I've seen but I only use X11 for Matlab. It's annoying but easy to get by. The other ones you listed seem worse. I actually can't remember if I had this problem under panther or not but If you say its new, then I should probably post to apple feedback.

Ben

bledri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 06:25 PM

I had the same problem with Tiger SSHing to RedHat FC3. Using the -Y option (trusted X11) resolved the problem. Of course in some environments this may be a bit perilous. E.g.:

my-mac: ~user$ ssh -XY user@linux-system

Good luck

Originally Posted by Simon
Since I upgraded to Tiger I'm having the weirdest problems with X11 and I'm sure these are problems that weren't around with before the update.

• X11 doesn't always hide its windows with cmd-h. Sometimes it does, but not always. When it doesn't you need to select hide from a menu.

• Some apps I run remotely on Linux servers (Scientific Linux) crash on startup (no X11 window, just a terminal message that says the launch is being aborted) with the weirdest error messages, like:
Code:
[bash BASE=/prod]$ X Error of failed request: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) Major opcode of failed request: 18 (X_ChangeProperty) Atom id in failed request: 0x1bd Serial number of failed request: 12 Current serial number in output stream: 15 [1]+ Exit 1 pep.tcl
• Other apps launch fine, but then doing the wrong thing in their X11 windows will get them to crash. For example when I use Emacs on one of my Linux PCs (Redhat Enterprise) remotely, and I have two buffers loaded, I can't move the divider or Emacs will crash immediately:
Code:
[bash BASE=/prod]$ X protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) on protocol request 38 [1]+ Exit 70 emacs
Now since the linux PCs and servers, the network or any of the apps haven't been changed lately and I know that all these X11 apps work fine if you run them from remote Linux PCs (various distributions), I figure it must have something to do with Tiger's X11.

Is anybody experiencing similar problems? Are there any work-arounds?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 08:35 AM

bledri, thanks a million!

That solved all the remote X11 problems I was experiencing ever since I updated to Tiger. What a first post! You made my day. Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules