Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can my airport extreme base station be used in place of aiportcard to get internet?

Can my airport extreme base station be used in place of aiportcard to get internet?
ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2005, 12:21 PM

Is it possible to use my aiport extreme base station to pick up other 802.11 signals and share it through the internet. My friend has an old iMac (without airport card) and I was going to lend him my airport extreme base station? Could he make the base station connect to his neighbors wireless lan (yes he has permission) and then just connect the ethernet from the aiport extreme to his imac ethernet to get internet? AKA a fix for no aiport card...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 31, 2005, 12:32 PM

I don't know if the Airport base stations allow that mode (my hunch is no), but they make gadgets specifically for that purpose. They're sold mainly for gaming consoles which have ethernet only, but they work on computers, too. Most big computer stores will have them.

tooki

ashtoash  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2005, 12:44 PM

hmm okay.. anyone else know for certian? I heard that you can bridge but was curious on more details, or anyones experiences :-) Thanks tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 31, 2005, 05:51 PM

You really want a dedicated bridge for this; it's effectively a wireless adapter that you connect to the computer with an ethernet cable. There are a number of them around, for example the Linksys WET11 and WET54G (802.11b and g respectively), and Netgear's ME101 and WGE101 (also b and g respectively). Shop around for "ethernet bridge" and/or "wireless bridge" and you'll find all sorts of options.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ashtoash  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2005, 06:00 PM

Okay i know i might really "want" one for this, but do you know if it's possible with what I have? I'd rather use something that's gathering dust than spend more money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules