Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 rev B question

iMac G5 rev B question
zign
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2005, 05:23 PM

Before I bought my iMac I read quite a lot of reviews and complaints about burning iMacs and so on. Some people had theirs burnt during night time. When I used my PC, I left it on at all the times, but I am a little paranoid to do the same with the iMac. So my question is, how often should I let my iMac rest? It runs pretty cool, when I leave it on during the day to download stuff, but I am still concerned.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2005, 06:43 PM

No need to let it rest if you don't want to.

alimunnik
Aug 1, 2005, 02:38 PM

I can relate with your concerns. Last night i left my iMac G5 20 rev B on in order to download some large files, which takes forever with slow speed dial-up. When I awoke this morning the download had been completed and the screen had gone into Screensaver mode. I suspected that things had turned rotten in the State of Denmark when I heard small but strange static sounds coming from within. When I started issueing commands a lot of spinning beach balls appeared, although the commands were eventually executed. In an attempt to set things right, I shut the unit off and then rebooted it. And that was the end of my iMac, as all I've been able to get is a blank blue screen.
I have this Mac for less than 3 months. I always put it to sleep at night for concerns similar to yours. Only once was it on all night, about a month ago, and that's when the static noise first appeared, although the results were not as catastrophic as today.
At best, I suspect a failure in the power supply; at worst a shot logic board. I opened it up and the capacitators looked fine. Still, things like this shouldn't happen, but BE ADVISED!

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2005, 04:00 PM

under normal conditions your machine should have no problem in running apps for extended periods of time. otherwise it's a hardware problem and time to call Apple...

items such as IDE Hard Drives typically have a shorter lifespan if continiously hammered...
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2005, 04:33 PM

It's just a little annoying having to switch it on just to check my e-mail I know that if anything does happen apple will fix it, but I don't want to wait for weeks for them to fix it. If they had anp option where they would just replace the unit in the store, I wouldn't be that concerned

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by alimunnik
I can relate with your concerns. Last night i left my iMac G5 20 rev B on in order to download some large files, which takes forever with slow speed dial-up. When I awoke this morning the download had been completed and the screen had gone into Screensaver mode. I suspected that things had turned rotten in the State of Denmark when I heard small but strange static sounds coming from within. When I started issueing commands a lot of spinning beach balls appeared, although the commands were eventually executed. In an attempt to set things right, I shut the unit off and then rebooted it. And that was the end of my iMac, as all I've been able to get is a blank blue screen.
I have this Mac for less than 3 months. I always put it to sleep at night for concerns similar to yours. Only once was it on all night, about a month ago, and that's when the static noise first appeared, although the results were not as catastrophic as today.
At best, I suspect a failure in the power supply; at worst a shot logic board. I opened it up and the capacitators looked fine. Still, things like this shouldn't happen, but BE ADVISED!

That is exactly what I don't want to experience. Good luck though!

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 01:03 AM

it could be a faulty powersupply, i've heard of other "strangeness" related to that.
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

yongfook
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 07:27 AM

Almost the same thing happened to me. I left my iMac on all day downloading, got back, the screen had died. Not a blue screen, but a backlit, black screen with no graphics. Nothing could bring it back to life. It's currently in repair.

http://www.yongfook.com

alimunnik
Aug 2, 2005, 01:16 PM

Sent my iMac out for repairs this morning. Over the telephone, the technician sounded bored and incommunicative, as though he were stressed out by a surfeit of faulty iMacs flooding his workhop. I hope all it is is a faulty power supply, even though the unit starts well enough; it just freezes to an icy blue when it reaches the "Reading OSX" stage.
A failed HD sounds bad, very bad. If that is the case, it is certainly not due to a regimen of over work, as I barely use the damn thing, and I have been subjecting it to TLC. Like my mom says, "Why, he wouldn't even hurt a fly!"

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 01:32 PM

Sent my iMac out for repairs this morning. Over the telephone, the technician sounded bored and incommunicative, as though he were stressed out by a surfeit of faulty iMacs flooding his workhop. I hope all it is is a faulty power supply, even though the unit starts well enough; it just freezes to an icy blue when it reaches the "Reading OSX" stage.
A failed HD sounds bad, very bad. If that is the case, it is certainly not due to a regimen of over work, as I barely use the damn thing, and I have been subjecting it to TLC. Like my mom says, "Why, he wouldn't even hurt a fly!"
You should get yourself an external HD for back up. I duplicate all imortant files on my iBook and iMac.

alimunnik
Aug 2, 2005, 04:46 PM

Yes, of course, in a perfect world we would all be backing up our files on external HD's, etc. But I am quite sure that the great majority of people don't go through the rigamarole of backing up new data every time they use their computers. I am quite fastiduous about backing up completed projects, but to make a copy of everything would require the patience of a Job. A much better state of affairs would be to have a RELIABLE computer whose HD is not prone to fail without rhyme or reason when practically brand new. After all, I wouldn't pressgang my brother into driving 100 meters behind me every time I fired up my vehicle, just in case that my engine would fail.

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2005, 05:32 AM

I actually back up at the end of each day (if it's been productive ofcourse ). If I work on a project, I just back it up on a 512Mb usb thingy. Hard Drives do fail. You can shake or bump your computer at the wrong time and that's it. I lost 150GB of data just a couple of months ago. I was transfering files from System hd to the second one and accidently hit the computer under the table. The process froze so I restarted the pc and my hd was gone. I took the hd itself to some pc workshop and was told that I destroyed the blocks that contain the data about hd or something like that. I won't miss mp3's or software, just the work and this does not take up that much space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules