Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Video Editing on ibook: how fast does it run?

Video Editing on ibook: how fast does it run?
evildede
Aug 3, 2005, 08:32 PM

So let me first explain the situation:

I was first thinking about getting a powerbook fully loaded (17' model) and a powermac, but because of recent money issues I might only be able to get an ibook for the time being

I really wanted to do some basic video editing on my powerbook (480p stuff) and then get a powerbook to do the heavy editing. Of course, I'll also use my ibook to watch some DVD movies, surf the web, burn DVDs and maybe play games if it is at all possible. I'd be upgrading the RAM to 1.5 gig and I'd be getting the 14' ibook.

I'll still be getting an intel powermac when they come out next year or the year after but in the meantime the ibook would have to suffice. SO, has anyone done some video editing on the ibook and how well did it run? I am talking about FInal Cut Pro here and maybe using photoshop and some 3D software like Bryce and the like. Is the ibook powerful enough to at least watch 480p quicktime movies at full speed?

It kind of sucks I won't be able to get the powerbook but the ibook still looks like it could be enough to do what I want even though at lower speeds than the powerbook I wanted. So if anyone could answer these questions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

edit: is it also possible to connect the ibook to a 1920 * 1200 lcd monitor? I was thinking about getting the Dell 24 incher later on and wanted to know if I could connect my ibook to it. Thanks!
( Last edited by evildede; Aug 3, 2005 at 08:39 PM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 09:37 PM

I wouldn't call Final Cut Pro "basic video editing," but you are going to run into some issues. The first being screen real-estate. You can only mirror the screen (but apparently you can hack it to spawn the screen, but you would be cutting the 32MB card in 1/2)

The iBook can probably do most of what you want, but running FCP, Photoshop and Bryce aren't "entry level" apps. If you said one of those apps, I would say you would probably be fine, but the combination would probably cause problems.

IMHO, I would consider something non-portable like a previous version PowerMac.

Just my 2¢... and I have a new 12" iBook.

evildede  (op)
Aug 3, 2005, 09:52 PM

I would only use 1 at a time of course as I know that using more than 1 at once is going to be too much. Also, you say the screen might be too small right? is it still manageable though? It'll only be for 1 year or so before I get my powermac and after that I'll only use it for the basic stuff or when I need a computer when traveling.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by evildede
I would only use 1 at a time of course as I know that using more than 1 at once is going to be too much. Also, you say the screen might be too small right? is it still manageable though? It'll only be for 1 year or so before I get my powermac and after that I'll only use it for the basic stuff or when I need a computer when traveling.
I don't think you can get the screen beyond 1024 x 768. This would be a problem IMHO. FCP LOVES space.

alimunnik
Aug 4, 2005, 12:54 PM

Poor evildede! - reduced by pecuniary circumstances to rummaging around in iBookland. What would Rene Levesque have said if he were alive?
For your intermediate video editing needs, the iBook is far from ideal, starting with the modest screen resolution and a very humble video card. If you really can't afford the 17" PB right now, why not consider an iMac G5 for the same price as the iBook? That will greatly enhance your editing experience. Before the end of the year there will probably be an upgraded PB with capabilities right up your alley, should your financial situation improve.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by alimunnik
Poor evildede! - reduced by pecuniary circumstances to rummaging around in iBookland. What would Rene Levesque have said if he were alive?
For your intermediate video editing needs, the iBook is far from ideal, starting with the modest screen resolution and a very humble video card. If you really can't afford the 17" PB right now, why not consider an iMac G5 for the same price as the iBook? That will greatly enhance your editing experience. Before the end of the year there will probably be an upgraded PB with capabilities right up your alley, should your financial situation improve.
Bingo... I'm sure the iBook would work for a mom/pop trying to do a little basic video editing via iMovie, but anything more and you are pushing the hardware.

I 2nd the iMac.

evildede  (op)
Aug 4, 2005, 02:01 PM

ok guys, sounds like a good idea! I will definitely think about it!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2005, 01:35 AM

Another vote for either the imac or a previous gen. PB with a faster HD.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2005, 03:35 PM

Yet another iMac vote. *bangs the gong*

Spidey79
Aug 5, 2005, 06:20 PM

*is annoyed by the gong* and smacks the ibook against the gong.. AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, I agree with them, go with the ibook. You are threading into murky waters believing that the ibook will edit in fcp... It can with 1.5 gigs of ram, but it still won't be the same. Either a pb red will do because u need more video ram. I say go with the Imac, and later go for a power mac. Ibooks are good for picture projects...

evildede  (op)
Aug 5, 2005, 06:22 PM

thanks for the advice guys! I'm definitely considering it.

alimunnik
Aug 5, 2005, 08:15 PM

Pinch your nose and take the plunge, evilded! For $50 less than the !4" iBook, the iMac G5 1.8GHz is yours with a 17" screen with far better revolution, a faster HD with almost thrice the storage capacity, and a video card with 4 times as much RAM. It's a real no brainer. And later you can supplement it with a revised edition PB so you will have something portable to take with you on your rounds of the bistros. Who knows?; maybe next year you will win the Quebec Lotto and be able to go "Big League" with the top of the line PowerMac and the 30" monitor.

evildede  (op)
Aug 5, 2005, 10:22 PM

<drool> 30" monitor </drool>

Spidey79
Aug 6, 2005, 04:26 AM

*bulge in pants* someone say 30 incher... hmmm... hahaha... What do u guys htink? i agree with the imac part man, if you don't deem it necessary to have a laptop, well then go for the imac. It is grat and it is perfect for video editing. If it is what you want, get the imac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules