Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Microsoft Messenger 5.0

Microsoft Messenger 5.0
Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2005, 10:14 PM

In case nobody had noticed, Microsoft Messenger for Mac 5.0 is now released and on Mactopia.com for download.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2005, 10:18 PM

yongfook
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2005, 11:03 PM

Installed it, binned it.

I don't know why but a small part of me had a faint glimmer of hope for this. I know Adium rocks and all, but there is something more "secure" about using 1st-party applications whose writers are in charge of the actual protocol. I mean Adium is great but I remember one time (or was it a couple of times) I've had to update because yahoo changed a bit of their protocol and it stopped playing nicely with Adium. In an ideal world I would not like to have to faff with that.

But seeing as MS has put out a hideously underfeatured "update" like this, it has only increased my will to go steady with Adium. I just checked out the site for the first time in a long time and there are lots of very pretty skins etc, and functionality is pretty admirable. Sure we don't get video chat on Adium's msn, but we don't get that on the official client either! If Adium only supported video or audio chat for AIM it would be a complete iChat killer, but unfortunately it looks as though I'm still going to have to be using 2 separate clients, one for video functionality (iChat) and one to talk to all the people I know who only know msn (uh...msn). Which is a shame.

Not the end of the world, but still it would be nice to have things all together.
http://www.yongfook.com

Geo669
Aug 9, 2005, 11:25 PM

The reason why we look forward to MS updating the MSN is for security/stable app reasons.
"microsoft messenger" is always the one that works the best, with file trasfers and everything. Its just really under functioned, and it pisses me off.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2005, 01:40 AM

<sarcasm>yay, I can have Display pictures </sarcasm>

what a pathetic update....
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 02:52 AM

Its not bad, just needs webcam support which will be out in 6.0?

Tony Arnold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2005, 03:13 AM

I've set-up the apple chat server (iChat) on my machine with the MSN and Yahoo! transports, so I no longer need to use anything but iChat. I don't exchange files with MSN users, nor Yahoo at this point, so it works perfectly well for me. Something worth thinking about I guess.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2005, 03:42 AM

I don't know anyone that uses something else than MSN for IM. MS Messenger 5 isn't all that bad, but I doesn't add anything new either. I will still use Adium, just because of it's customizability..

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2005, 10:35 AM

i just installed adium to give it a shot since I'm so utterly disappointed with the lack of any new features in msn 5....

since I installed it my ibook has slowed to a crawl. my ibook's specs are in my sig. is this normal?
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

jay3ld
Senior User
Aug 10, 2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha
i just installed adium to give it a shot since I'm so utterly disappointed with the lack of any new features in msn 5....

since I installed it my ibook has slowed to a crawl. my ibook's specs are in my sig. is this normal?
shouldnt be. im running a g4 powerpc with less processor and ram than that and it dont slow me down. i just get errors allot though

some times msn 5 wont let me open a new chat window no matter what i try and sometimes i cant change my status.... very buggy.

dru
Senior User
Aug 11, 2005, 12:02 AM

Well, they took away the one *useful* function. It's no longer 'dock aware' or whatever you want to call it. So if you're Away, Busy, or whatever, you don't get a different Dock icon as a result like you do with the previous version.

Microsoft are CRAP! Unfortunately, I don't chat with anyone via IM that isn't on Messenger. GRRR.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 12:13 AM

They will never put video support in Messenger for the Mac until they can figure out how to do the multiple hookup like iChat and as easily as iChat. PC or Mac, Messenger is a$$.

Forum Links
Forum Rules