Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > are you a mac purist?

View Poll Results: are you a mac purist?
Poll Options:
yes 19 votes (31.15%)
no 37 votes (60.66%)
I used to be 5 votes (8.20%)
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll
are you a mac purist? (Page 2)
Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2005, 02:33 PM

I hate to be rude but around 2004/early 2005, when the iPod and Mac hype was really picking up steam, a whole wave of newbies came into MacNN and all they do is argue about everything. I'm not naming names, but there are loads of new people who bicker about everything, and usually the argument is on the very lowest intellectual plane.

Rob is the original stroppy bastard, and when you try to argue with him you will lose.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 21, 2005, 02:34 PM

They've made some alterations and it seems to have impressed Steve to this point where he has made what seems to be the best decision for the Company.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 21, 2005, 02:46 PM

Budster is just some meek individual who wishes he was more like me in real life.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 21, 2005, 03:07 PM

I was you in real life. I was 17 at the time and I cut some guy off in a tow truck. I flipped him the bird and he chased me down in his truck, cut me off and then came at my window... I was terrified. I rolled down my window and this big burly guy said in a soft-spoken voice. Someday, you are going to kill someone with a family, make a widow of his wife, and leave his children fatherless. He went on to say, I should drag you out of the car and beat you, but I'm not going to. He turned and walked back to his truck and left.

I honestly think he was more concerned about me, than himself.

I would never want to be like you.
You should be so lucky to have learned your lesson at a young age... too bad for you and all around you.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 03:38 PM

I'm a recent mac switcher. I used to be a PC/Linux-geek. Came across a cheap Beige G3 on eBay, thought I'd run PPC Linux on it/screw around with it (and it had a RISC CPU, w00t).

Didn't use OS8-9 on it, and I still had my PC (ran Windows for games).

Bought a copy of OS X when 10.1 was released. Installed on the Beige. And then I truly switched.

I now own a B&W G3 (in the full tower ATX case that my last PC used to reside in), an iBook G3, a MDD G4 2x867Mhz and a PM G5 2x2Ghz. Don't have a single PC anymore

So, no, I'm not a Mac purist, I like mutli-button mice. I run X11 software that doesn't conform in the least to the Apple HIG.

However, I don't like x86.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 01:11 AM

1. I bought a USB mouse and don't care. If it makes better apps, I'm for it.
2. The PPC/x86 architectures are different enough so that the MHz doesn't exactly correlate.
3. I will be first in line when the Mactels are released.
4. Barely used 7.5, used 9 on my PBG4 for a month until 10.0 was released. Never looked back.
5. Of course!
6. Yes so I don't have to fix their damn PC problems anymore
7. No but have thought about it
8. I usually don't change my mind about new Mac products.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2006, 12:24 PM

Every time I completely convert to Mac Purity, Apple turns and embraces their enemy. (First IBM, then Intel.) I'm getting whiplash.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2006, 01:57 PM

Are you a Mac purist? A Mac purist is someone who does at least 4 of the following:
~defends the one-button-mouse in the face of fierce opposition - yes, to a limited extent

~still believes in the Megahertz myth - yes, to a limited extent

~doesn't want to buy a Mac with an intel - definitely yes

~reminesces about the 7/8/9 days - no, but if I relied on the OS 9 environment in the way one of my friends does I would; OS 9 is not dead for many pros

~watches keynotes - not much since WWDC 05

~tries to convert people to Mac - yes, but less so than before

~has an Apple sticker on their car - no, but I have a bunch of car stickers I could place there

~complains fiercely about every new Apple product released, only to fall in love with it a week later - no

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules