Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Longest Final Cut Pro/Express Project?

Longest Final Cut Pro/Express Project?
Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 03:08 PM

OK I finished my longest so far today. And I thought, hmmm you know, discussing battle stories with digital video might be a good forum topic . So, premier stories aren't allowed . But anyway I'll go first.

The project was divided into 7 sequences. The first was a promotional video that I'd spent 25 hours on that ended up at I think about two and a half minutes. That said, I was learning a lot about FCE at that point. I'd used Premier in high school but that was nothing compared to this. As well I was doing silly things like making my cuts on footage that had like three filters on it, so it was taking a lot of time to render every time I wanted to see what it looked like.

The second half was the other 6 sequences. We had a script and voice over I was supposed to work with, so that was a bit confining for me but not a huge problem. We shot a lot of footage every day of the week that was supposed to go into the closing program on Sunday. Actually I'm typing this as I mix down an mpeg4 file of the whole thing to have saved as well.
Anyway in total I think I spent about 35 hours this week working on the footage.
Monday from 10pm-2am
Tuseday from 10pm-4am
Wednesday from 10pm to 6:30am
Thursday from 10pm-6:30 (With a morning meeting so I had to go to sleep at 9am)
And then Saturday I started at noon and went till 3pm.

That said everyone really enjoyed the video, and the audio tracks I picked for it and stuff.

I gota say more than anything though... I'm now convinced I need to get a G5

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 21, 2005, 03:16 PM

Better get some good noise cancelling headphones too.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2005, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
I gota say more than anything though... I'm now convinced I need to get a G5
What's the RPM of your HD and how much memory do you have? A faster HD and more memory might do the trick and be more cost effective as a short term solution.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 06:36 AM

I don't know exactly how long I worked on my first FCP project, but I made 2 previews of about 2 minutes, and one movie of about 25 minutes, that I burned to a DVD. It was a lot of fun, and was a good FCP-learning opportunity. I think all in all I spent about 1 week on it, with an average of 5-6 hours a day.

I had 60 minutes of raw footage, and made a 25 minute movie out of it. And I'm glad I have a Dual G5 to do things like these

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

OreoCookie
Aug 22, 2005, 06:46 AM

I put in about 80 hours in my last project. To be completely fair, I had to get reacquainted with FCPro (I was using version 3). Also my machine was not top of the line (iBook G3 800 ). I had about 3 hours of footage and I think it turned out pretty well.

iDVD worked great (with the exception of chapters in the long movie which didn't work).

I think I could get it done now in half of the time, tops.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
I put in about 80 hours in my last project. To be completely fair, I had to get reacquainted with FCPro (I was using version 3). Also my machine was not top of the line (iBook G3 800 ). I had about 3 hours of footage and I think it turned out pretty well.

iDVD worked great (with the exception of chapters in the long movie which didn't work).

I think I could get it done now in half of the time, tops.
Holy frick... that'd be painful hahaha...

And my HD is a 4200rpm drive and I have 768 megs of RAM. I don't think RAM was a problem, HD was probably a slight problem but whatever. Either way I've been planning on getting a G5 and Cinema this year when I have the cash from inheritance from my Gpa. It'll be my super sexy aluminum treat to myself

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2005, 12:08 PM

My longest project plays for 100 minutes. I can't remember how long it took to create.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Better get some good noise cancelling headphones too.
Those only work in noisy environments, hence the whole point of them.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2005, 12:20 PM

I have over 15 hours of festival footage that I can't wait to sink my teeth into. Oh, and external audio without timecodes that needs to be synced too. Yum.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OreoCookie
Aug 22, 2005, 03:11 PM

And my HD is a 4200rpm drive and I have 768 megs of RAM. I don't think RAM was a problem, HD was probably a slight problem but whatever. Either way I've been planning on getting a G5 and Cinema this year when I have the cash from inheritance from my Gpa. It'll be my super sexy aluminum treat to myself
I used an external hd, and I had 640 MB RAM. So I think I can place the whole blame on the cpu
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2005, 07:08 AM

I bought my first mac with inheritance cash from my grandma.
Just make sure you make the money back! a G5 is an expensive toy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules