Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hurricane Katrina - pics and video

Hurricane Katrina - pics and video
AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2005, 11:18 PM

A quick and dirty site I whipped up during the storm that flooded me and my family out of our home in miami.

Blogging by candle light

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2005, 11:25 PM

Wow! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 07:26 AM

That is sad...

Take care man!
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 08:59 AM

wow that sucks man, sorry. wasn't katrina a category 1 when it hit you and now its a category 5? Louisiana is going get pounded

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 09:49 AM

Anobody here in New Orleans? I think Pooka is in Baton Rouge-- I but the interstate there is f'ed.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 10:36 AM

Katrina is one huge beeyotch, look at the satellite pics plastered on every news site.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 11:22 AM

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 01:53 PM

wow, maybe this hurricane will finish the job of sinking New Orleans?
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 04:09 PM

Scary stuff. I wish all those in the path of Katrina all the best. My prayers are with you. Try to make yourself safe.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2005, 04:31 PM

Dang, you had it pretty bad. Compared to us—there's no water near us. We're still without power, though.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 04:34 PM

Uh oh, New Orleans is fuct.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 04:36 PM

4th strongest hurricane EVER RECORDED. If you are in southern LA or Mississippi, GET OUT.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 04:52 PM

Please, oh Lord, spare New Orleans.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
4th strongest hurricane EVER RECORDED. If you are in southern LA or Mississippi, GET OUT.
God damn, I didnt realize it was that powerful. I've missed out on this info over the past few days. Good luck to our New Orleans friends.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2005, 05:20 PM

Sh*t. From abcnews.com:

Estimates have been made of tens of thousands of deaths from flooding that could overrun the levees and turn New Orleans into a 30-foot-deep toxic lake filled with chemicals and petroleum from refineries, and waste from ruined septic systems.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 05:32 PM

30 foot deep pool of toxic waste with 10s of thousands of dead people floating around?

I doubt it'll be THAT bad

That's the kind of stuff news networks report when they aren't getting enough ratings

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
Sh*t.
Wow, literally.

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
30 foot deep pool of toxic waste with 10s of thousands of dead people floating around?

I doubt it'll be THAT bad

That's the kind of stuff news networks report when they aren't getting enough ratings
A joke about starting crappy threads when you don't have enough attention is in the works somehwere, I bet.

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 07:02 PM

I'm in BR right now. If you're here, you're here. We could attempt to evacuate but not sure we'd get too far. BR is a huge bottleneck of EVERYONE evacuating the area. I-10 & I-12 merge into each other at the Mississippi and have created chaos. All the N.O. evacuees are stuck on the interstate and running out of gas and there's not too many places around to refuel. Nutty stuff.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 07:04 PM

i will pray for all those in the path of the hurricane and hopefully there won't be too much damage.

just a side note...i think god is finally had it with mardi gras

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 07:13 PM

What is BR? Belgian Rhineland?

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
What is BR? Belgian Rhineland?
What are you? Stupid or English? BR as in <br> tag. As in "break". Man, it's cool cause we're online and ****. You get a pass. But watch out on the street.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 07:25 PM

Baton Rouge

Ghoser777
Professional Poster

I think the impending doom is getting to pooka.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN

my bad my bad dawg

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2005, 07:38 PM

Best of luck to you guys This is awful
Aloha

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2005, 08:02 PM

Holy cow, I just saw this on Weatherstreet.com best of luck to all those in the path of Katrina:

Weather Message National Weather Service New Orleans La
1011 Am Cdt Sun Aug 28 2005

Devastating Damage Expected

Hurricane Katrinaa Most Powerful Hurricane With Unprecedented Strength...rivaling The Intensity Of Hurricane Camille Of 1969. Most Of The Area Will Be Uninhabitable For Weeks...perhaps Longer. Atleast One Half Of Well Constructed Homes Will Have Roof And Wall Failure. All Gabled Roofs Will Fail...leaving Those Homes Severely Damaged Or Destroyed.the Majority Of Industrial Buildings Will Become Non Functional. Partial To Complete Wall And Roof Failure Is Expected. All Wood Framed Low Rising Apartment Buildings Will Be Destroyed. Concrete Block Low Rise Apartments Will Sustain Major Damage...including Some Wall And Roof Failure. High Rise Office And Apartment Buildings Will Sway Dangerously...a Few To The Point Of Total Collapse. All Windows Will Blow Out. Airborne Debris Will Be Widespread...and May Include Heavy Items Such As Household Appliances And Even Light Vehicles. Sport Utility Vehicles And Light Trucks Will Be Moved. The Blown Debris Will Create Additional Destruction. Persons...pets... And Livestock Exposed To The Winds Will Face Certain Death If Struck. Power Outages Will Last For Weeks...as Most Power Poles Will Be Down And Transformers Destroyed. Water Shortages Will Make Human Suffering Incredible By Modern Standards. The Vast Majority Of Native Trees Will Be Snapped Or Uprooted. Only The Heartiest Will Remain Standing... But Be Totally Defoliated. Few Crops Will Remain. Livestock Left Exposed To The Winds Will Be Killed. An Inland Hurricane Wind Warning Is Issued When Sustained Winds Near Hurricane Force...or Frequent Gusts At Or Above Hurricane Force.. .are Certain Within The Next 12 To 24 Hours. Once Tropical Storm And Hurricane Force Winds Onset...do Not Venture Outside!
Laz038-040-050-056>070-282100- Assumption- Livingston- Lower Jefferson- Lower Lafourche- Lower Plaquemines- Lower St. Bernard- Lower Terrebonne- Orleans- St. Charles- St. James- St. John The Baptist- St. Tammany- Tangipahoa- Upper Jefferson- Upper Lafourche- Upper Plaquemines- Upper St. Bernard- Upper Terrebonne-
1011 Am Cdt Sun Aug 28 2005

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
I think the impending doom is getting to pooka.
Ah, nah. I wasn't being mean. Just a smarmy ass.

AlfaMunky  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2005, 08:31 PM

Wow, I just got back from work and checking out the mildew stank that my house is now infested with. My family went through Hurricane Andrew. That was bad, this caused damage too but all from rain damage. Not the wind that a Cat. 5 like Andrew had.

Now that this sucker has ramped up to a Cat. 5 I am amazed by it's size. If it packs the rain it did in my area but made worse by the wind speed and size that it now has; I hope only for the best for those in New Orleans.

I saw a Discovery Channel special about a year ago about the worst case senario of a Cat. 4 or greater hitting New Orleans. It didn't seem to good.

I maybe an atheist... but start praying to something if you or some one you care about is in New Orleans.

Help us, Jebus?

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Aug 28, 2005, 08:35 PM

Up here in NC they are already projecting flooding and have been releaseing most of the dams in the area to prepare. I don't like to see anyone get hurt and lose their house and belongings cause it totally blows.

In the mean time, how bout them gas price, wheeee the price will go up and up now since they have shut down the refiners in the gulf, more profit for the gas companies to look forward to.
- Eric

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 08:45 PM

Good maybe with all those prayers, the whole south will receive God's love
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Aug 28, 2005 at 08:51 PM. )

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2005, 08:47 PM

If New Orleans gets anything like that, it is big trouble. Let's hope not.

Oh and eff off Kerrigan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules