Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Tiger is noisy - writing to disk

OS X Tiger is noisy - writing to disk
runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2005, 11:02 AM

After upgrading (clean install) to Tiger the HD is accessed more frequently than before. I have 1 GB RAM and a 1.25 MHz PB Al, in other words, Virtual memory is propably not the main reason for this phenomenon. (?) Anyone had this problem and a fix? Is is very annoing to listen to all the time! (I installed it for 2-3 weeks ago, so i hope Spotlight is not still indexing)
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2005, 11:09 AM

Rechecked your energy saver settings?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

runejoha  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Rechecked your energy saver settings?
I don't understand. What can energy settings do in order to make the OS access the HD more frequently?
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by runejoha
I don't understand. What can energy settings do in order to make the OS access the HD more frequently?
To make sure 'Put the hard disk to sleep when possible' option isn't checked?

leperkuhn
Senior User
Sep 2, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by runejoha
After upgrading (clean install) to Tiger the HD is accessed more frequently than before. I have 1 GB RAM and a 1.25 MHz PB Al, in other words, Virtual memory is propably not the main reason for this phenomenon. (?) Anyone had this problem and a fix? Is is very annoing to listen to all the time! (I installed it for 2-3 weeks ago, so i hope Spotlight is not still indexing)

I've had the same issues. Half the DVDs I try to burn now come out as coasters. Menu Meters is reporting insane amounts of disk activity.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 03:31 PM

Check Activity Monitor and see what exactly is consuming the CPU.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Check Activity Monitor and see what exactly is consuming the CPU.
Or if you feel comfy in terminal, run sudo fs_usage

great utility for viewing fs = file system activity. It is very verbose too, but you can tailor to a specific PID by running sudo fs_usage 252 , where 252 is the process ID.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2005, 03:20 AM

One thing: If you're using file-sharing applications like BitTorrent or Poisoned, LimeWire, Acquisition, et al., make sure to EXCLUDE their download folders from Spotlight indexing using the Privacy pane in the Spotlight system preference.

Otherwise, the constantly changing download temp files will continually be re-indexed, causing extreme hard-disk usage and CPU hit.

I hear there is also a similar issue with Adobe's Creative Suite apps involving their temp file directories, which is similarly simply solved.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
make sure to EXCLUDE their download folders from Spotlight indexing using the Privacy pane in the Spotlight system preference.
Woah, great idea. I totally never thought of that.

Maybe someone could make a little list of common temp file directories that could be excluded from Spotlight? For instance, I've no idea what the Adobe CS programs do for temp stuff (aside from the temp files for open documents that are places in the same directory as the document).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2005, 10:45 AM

I don't know if this is related; but I've noticed that any time I type in Textedit within a file (anywhere but at the very end), my hard disk chirps loudly as I type. It's very annoying.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
I don't know if this is related; but I've noticed that any time I type in Textedit within a file (anywhere but at the very end), my hard disk chirps loudly as I type. It's very annoying.

Use fs_usage as I noted above and possibly you will see the file that it is writing too when doing that. Maybe it is the location of a temp file, somewhere on your drive and possibly if deleted, it will relocate itself to a less chirpy place!

mactropolis
Senior User
Sep 3, 2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
Your HD chirps loud as you start to type possibly as the AppleSpell background service churns away trying to compare your words with the dictionary to determinte if you have any spelling mistakes.
Death To Extremists!

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by mactropolis
Your HD chirps loud as you start to type possibly as the AppleSpell background service churns away trying to compare your words with the dictionary to determinte if you have any spelling mistakes.
No, it's not that, because I don't get the chirping if I'm typing text at the end of a document. It only happens when I decide to insert text in the middle of a document. It always happens with Textedit, occasionally with Pages, and very occasionally in a Safari text window (like this one).

Forum Links
Forum Rules