Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Awaiting Revised PowerBook With Baited Breath

Awaiting Revised PowerBook With Baited Breath
alimunnik
Sep 4, 2005, 10:32 AM

The end of September won't come soon enough for me. On the very day the revised PB's come out, I'll be laying out the big dinero for one of those 17 inch puppies. Although the processor will be only marginally faster, the other anticipated enhancements will make this, the last of the G4's, a classic worth treasuring.
To help finance this little indulgence, I plan to unload my Revision B iMac G5 20''. Don't know what sucker will take it off my hands, but personally I think it deserves to be auctioned off in a fruit market.
I keep getting annoying telephone calls from Canada Post inquiring when I will deign to come down to to the local depot to pick up my G5 unit, freshly shipped from a month's worth of repairs. I keep telling them; ''I've Got My Power Book (1.5GHz-15'') To Keep Me Warm''.
I am amused to read the ruminations by idealistic Forum members pining for the new Mac Intels. Five years from now this Forum will be overflowing with tearful reminiscenses about the ''Golden Age'' when G4 PB's stalked the planet. I think the current line of Power Books the greatest thing to come along since sliced bread. It may not be the fastest thing out there, but we all know that the Hare doesn't always win the Race.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2005, 12:57 PM

With baited breath?? Are you going fishing?

I believe the word you are looking for is "bated".

My apologies - I just couldn't resist this "low hanging fruit". Wow! Call me butter, 'cause I am on a roll!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

alimunnik  (op)
Sep 4, 2005, 06:33 PM

It is reassuring, during these times of grammatical lassitude, to come across such stalwart defenders of the English language as spiff72. Many thanks, spiff, for drawing attention to my snafu. But there is something "fishy" about the imminent profiferation of Macs using processors supplied by three manufacturers. I will continue to sing the praises of the G4 for it's rock solid reliability.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by alimunnik
It is reassuring, during these times of grammatical lassitude, to come across such stalwart defenders of the English language as spiff72. Many thanks, spiff, for drawing attention to my snafu. But there is something "fishy" about the imminent profiferation of Macs using processors supplied by three manufacturers. I will continue to sing the praises of the G4 for it's rock solid reliability.
I am glad I could spread my vast vocabulary to the masses.

Don't get me wrong on the glory of the Powerbook G4. I've got two of them here.

P.S. I think you meant "proliferation".

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2005, 08:38 PM

On a more serious note - what is/was wrong with your iMac? How are you planning to sell it? And what do you think you are going to ask?

Thanks

alimunnik  (op)
Sep 4, 2005, 09:31 PM

Well, spiff72, looks like nothing is going to slip by you today. Total lack of typing skills are my downfall.
The hard drive on my new iMac crashed without rhyme or reason, with all the attendant unpleasantries. Not being possessed of great business acumen, I will probably unload it at a Fire Sale price. Maybe I will donate it to some underprivileged scholar, although such a species is as rare as hen's teeth here in oil prosperous Alberta.
Never was all that much taken by the iMac. I purchased it in a moment of madness. My impulse was to get the 17'' PB (like yourself), but was shanghaied by some bad advice.
The iMac is lacking in ''soul''. It is the mechanical equivelant of those people who turn out for sporting events festooned in the colours of the Home Team, however hideous such a scheme may be, and are forever showing up at social functions bedecked in an ''Official Jersey'' emblazoned with the surname of some heroin addled role model.
I congratulate you on your good taste in putting all your eggs in the PB market. I myself shall be consigning my recalcitrant iMac to the storage shed (unheated) until I manage to unload it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules