Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Adding super drive/bigger hard drive/bluetooth to an 12" iBook

Adding super drive/bigger hard drive/bluetooth to an 12" iBook
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 04:01 PM

I got a new iBook and I'm going to put a new HDD and SuperDrive in it, and possibly add bluetooth.

A few questions:

-How big is the speed increase from a 4200RPM drive to a 5400RPM drive? How does this affect battery life?

-What's the current best choice for notebook superdrive? Not looking to break the bank, but getting dual layer would be really nice.

ImpulseResponse

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 09:43 PM

I hope you have some idea how hard it is to do all this. I replaced an iBook G4's hard drive the other week and it was a bitch.

And you will be voiding your warranty.

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 04:23 AM

No worries. I've disassembled more iBooks than I care to think about. I'm a Apple Certified Portable technician, but I haven't been keeping up with the latest and greatest in HDD and SD technology.

ImpulseResponse

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 07:55 PM

How are you going to find the internal Bluetooth module? And do you know how to install it?

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 08:05 PM

I know how to install it, but I haven't found one to put in yet. I've been keeping an eye on ebay and I have some buddies who also work with macs, who might have one laying around. I'm not married to having BT, but I figure if I can get my hands on the part it'll be worth installing it while I'm in there.

ImpulseResponse

galarneau
Senior User
Aug 30, 2005, 08:09 PM

The new iBooks all come with Bluetooth standard.

As for superdrive, I'd get a Pioneer K05. Check the XLR8yourmac.com drive database to see what drives others are using.

For hard drives, I'd go with a Seagate Momentus, if only for the (1) 5 year warranty (2) Quieter head parking (if you can believe their marketing blurbs)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2005, 09:42 PM

Actually I'd really like to add an internal BT moule to my iBook. If anyone knows a reliable place to get them I'd love to hear.

As for hard drives, I'm waiting for Hitachi Travelstar 7K100s to become more widely available.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2005, 03:43 AM

They can be found here. I looked into it at an Apple tech, and he was able to supply all the parts seperately as well.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2005, 03:57 PM

Ouch. That's way more than a dongle. I think I'll keep my warranty rather than bother with that.

serranot
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2005, 10:48 AM

I replaced the stock HDD with a 5400 rpm drive. The battery life is reduced a bit, but for my purposes it was negligible. I rarely need to use it for longer than a couple of hours. I still get about 4 hours of life on a 9 month old battery.
T-bob

Forum Links
Forum Rules