Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 3 days in L.A., what should I see?

3 days in L.A., what should I see? (Page 2)
SimeyTheLimey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
Thanks a million for grabbing that bicycle lock for me, and double-thanks for overnighting it to me in NJ. I can now ride my bicycle away from my house AND secure it if need be.

I'm curious about your interactions with the "aging hippies" of Twentynine Palms. Did you get any pictures of them?
No I didn't get any pictures of them. There is an unwritten rule in documentary photography that you never photograph the homeless and hopeless unless you are going to do it properly by getting to know them, etc. Otherwise, it's akin to exploitation. An aquaintance of mine, Kyle Cassidy is quite eloquent on it. And since he is one of the photographers I know with the guts and people skills to do it properly, and since I don't, I try to follow the rule.

Besides, I was too nausiated by the guy picking his nose while we were eating to want to run outside to get my camera.

On a completely unrelated note, I am just now catching up with the news, both on the web and from my family. My Aunt's house is apparently under water and they have been evacuated. I'm a little disgusted by the threads here on the board. Why the hell are people arguing about religion and global warning? Can't people put their agendas aside for 24 hours?

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
Sunday, we drove down Sunset Strip through Beverly Hills to the coast, took a left and went to Venice Beach to admire the weirdos. Then we drove up the PCH past Malibu. We stopped off at El Matador Beach and briefly stopped at Leo Carillo. We ate at Neptune's Net, which was very atmospheric. Especially the portajohns out back.

I did say it was a biker seafood restaurant, but I guess I could have been a bit more descriptive.
Hope you liked it though, I've eaten at many great places across the us and a few countries, and i'd take neptunes net over any of them any day. It was also featured in the Fast and the Furious, which isn't saying much of course.
I think the portajohns are there to keep wet surfers and the drunk bikers from making a mess inside.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 12:02 AM

No I didn't get any pictures of them. There is an unwritten rule in documentary photography that you never photograph the homeless and hopeless unless you are going to do it properly by getting to know them, etc. Otherwise, it's akin to exploitation.
If you see something or someone who is interesting, I don't see any reason not to record it. I'm seeing tons of homeless and hopeless people on TV roaming New Orleans as we speak.

Personally, I like photos of old hippies. Though, if you had instead said "homeless" folks, I wouldn't have asked. No biggie.

On a completely unrelated note, I am just now catching up with the news, both on the web and from my family. My Aunt's house is apparently under water and they have been evacuated. I'm a little disgusted by the threads here on the board. Why the hell are people arguing about religion and global warning? Can't people put their agendas aside for 24 hours?
I hope your aunt is OK, and that the recovery time (mental/emotional/physical/fiscal) is as short as is possible.

As for the threads on warming and religion, I have read more than enough of your writings over the years to know that you know what's up.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 01:53 AM

Overall, sounds like a great trip Simey!

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2005, 02:02 AM

After driving Mulholland, I visited the Getty Center. I was very impressed, and kicked myself for leaving the camera in the car. I didn't expect the gardens to be so spectacular.

I've got plenty of pictures of those gardens and fountains. If you want them, let me know.
Nemo me impune lacesset

SimeyTheLimey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2005, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer

I did say it was a biker seafood restaurant, but I guess I could have been a bit more descriptive.
Hope you liked it though, I've eaten at many great places across the us and a few countries, and i'd take neptunes net over any of them any day. It was also featured in the Fast and the Furious, which isn't saying much of course.
I think the portajohns are there to keep wet surfers and the drunk bikers from making a mess inside.
Don't get me wrong, it was a great place. The food was great and people obviously go out of their way to go there. I was just struck by the contrast. There was a Ferrari parked right next to the portajohns, and those bikes weren't exactly cheap either. But the johns -- they were whiffy.

SimeyTheLimey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2005, 01:06 PM

I promised to post pictures from the trip. I put them in a web gallery, here is the link. Enjoy!

The file names describe where the pictures are taken. They aren't in any particular order, but the locations are grouped together.

Bear in mind that these are scans from 35mm slides, and I don't have a dedicated slide scanner. These are a reasonable approximation of the original slides, but not perfect. It's kind of tricky to adjust the color with the scanner I have.

A couple of samples:

( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; Sep 3, 2005 at 01:37 PM. )

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2005, 12:08 PM

Great pictures! Thanks for posting. Is there anyway that you could add descriptions as to where you took them? I'll be back in mid-october. (This time I'm going to book an extra day or so for much needed R&R time.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

SimeyTheLimey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by driven
Great pictures! Thanks for posting. Is there anyway that you could add descriptions as to where you took them? I'll be back in mid-october. (This time I'm going to book an extra day or so for much needed R&R time.)
Thanks!

Each of the pictures' file names includes the location. Basically, they were all taken either in Joshua Tree National Park, Runyon Canyon (off of Mulholland Drive in LA), Venice Beach, El Matador Beach (close to Malibu, on the PCH), and one was shot in West Hollywood.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2005, 11:55 PM

Thanks!

Each of the pictures' file names includes the location. Basically, they were all taken either in Joshua Tree National Park, Runyon Canyon (off of Mulholland Drive in LA), Venice Beach, El Matador Beach (close to Malibu, on the PCH), and one was shot in West Hollywood.
For the record, I prefer the in-town shots!
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Forum Links
Forum Rules