Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > New WoW Patch

New WoW Patch
CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 11:37 AM

So who else is a hunter? Someone told me Blizzard screwed up aimed shot so you don't get critical hits with it as much. I've only logged in once and haven't been able to test that yet.

And isn't the dressing room fun? You can go to the auction house and try on all those cool epic items.

By the way, wanna know how quickly the 58 MB patch downloaded for me? 60 seconds. It used to take hours and hours. I sure love having a fiber DSL line.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 05:14 PM

The Arathi Basin new Battleground is lots of fun ^_^

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
So who else is a hunter? Someone told me Blizzard screwed up aimed shot so you don't get critical hits with it as much. I've only logged in once and haven't been able to test that yet.

And isn't the dressing room fun? You can go to the auction house and try on all those cool epic items.

By the way, wanna know how quickly the 58 MB patch downloaded for me? 60 seconds. It used to take hours and hours. I sure love having a fiber DSL line.

Hunters are improved, I haven't played my hunter much, as I was running Zul'Gurub with my priest, but I did notice an improvement as well did my guildies, but you're right, aimed shot doesn't crit as much.

Arathi Basin is definately fun, but it seems horde is owning alliance (as always) on my server. I will be definately be going for the exalted rep items, but who knows how long thats going to take.
MBP 1.83

dajk
Sep 14, 2005, 06:52 PM

I want an Ironbark Staff.

Lots of AB on Bloodscalp-EU

Edit: Should check my english bettah ><
( Last edited by dajk; Sep 15, 2005 at 09:35 AM. )

jpg71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2005, 03:21 PM

I have a level 43 Beastmaster spec'd hunter with Brokentooth as a pet (1.0 atk speed). I trained the pet up with as much armor as I could go for his level, spent a few hours in Arathi Basin, and was absolutely destroying casters. Bestial Wrath is damned effective, and forces players to pay attention to the pet now instead of ignoring it. I also have a 60 Mortal Strike Arms/Fury warrior that I used to "cheese" dual wield + 2h switch overpower/ms macro. Now with the weapon switch global-cooldown change in 1.7, I just have him keep 2H at all times unless tanking, then I use a shield. In any event, the hunter is so much fun to play now that I don't really plan on bringing the warrior out too much.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2005, 04:04 PM

BW is a freaking "Kill Warlock" button, and a "Probably Kill Everyone Else" button as well.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 15, 2005, 04:27 PM

The game would be much more interesting if one class couldn't absolutely positively destroy another class. It's one reason why I haven't played since May.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2005, 05:30 PM

The hunter isn't a destroy every other class. Blizzard finally brought them up to speed with the other classes. Forgive us if it actually requires some thought to kill hunters now. The pet now stands where it should have been the entire time for a class that relies on it.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
The game would be much more interesting if one class couldn't absolutely positively destroy another class. It's one reason why I haven't played since May.
This only comes into play in duels, which are much less than 1% of the game. This game was never designed to balance 1v1 fights, thank god. All PvP is group based, and you use your class to help support your team because some classes do things better than others. Anyway, that's why I have a few different characters (Druid, Mage, Hunter, Priest) so that I can mix things up and play different aspects of the game.

Want to play a dueling monster? Roll a Priest and build him Shadow/Discipline spec, you'll manhandle everyone... you'll suck at group PvE, and not do very well in BGs, but thems the breaks.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Want to play a dueling monster? Roll a Priest and build him Shadow/Discipline spec, you'll manhandle everyone... you'll suck at group PvE, and not do very well in BGs, but thems the breaks.
Uh...what's wrong with shadow priests in PvE, again?
Chuck
___

jpg71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
That would be Blizzard's infamous "Paper-Rock-Scissors" balance. But as others have pointed out, the game isn't scaled for 1 on 1 balance. While my BM spec hunter was destroying cloth squishies, I'd be lying if I said I didn't do my fair share of dying while I was out patrolling on my own.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Uh...what's wrong with shadow priests in PvE, again?
They give up a lot of healing ability, and in group PvE, that's a Priest's main job. A Restoration Druid can outheal a Shadow specced priest, I see it almost daily.

Don't get me wrong, if group PvE isn't for you, then Shadow is the way to go. However, if you plan on raiding, Holy/Dis is really the only option.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2005, 03:44 PM

This only comes into play in duels, which are much less than 1% of the game. This game was never designed to balance 1v1 fights, thank god. All PvP is group based, and you use your class to help support your team because some classes do things better than others. Anyway, that's why I have a few different characters (Druid, Mage, Hunter, Priest) so that I can mix things up and play different aspects of the game.

Except that shadow priests get owned by hunters, holy/disc priests and warlocks.
MBP 1.83

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2005, 04:02 PM

They give up a lot of healing ability, and in group PvE, that's a Priest's main job. A Restoration Druid can outheal a Shadow specced priest, I see it almost daily.

Don't get me wrong, if group PvE isn't for you, then Shadow is the way to go. However, if you plan on raiding, Holy/Dis is really the only option.
I hate when people post this BS.

Healing isn't the only ability Priests have. They can outdps most classes, even mages). A holy priest is standing around 1/2 the time if you have a party smaller than five. Most PvE grinding is 2-3 people.

Who cares if a resto druid can outheal a shadow priest, it all comes down to which has more utility in an group. Rogues can outdps warriors, your point?

I've never sucked in group PvE as a shadow priest, holy priests suck PvE. They can't solo, can't really help dps and are pretty much healbots. They arent even necessary to run instances.

Example. I was farming 59-61 elite dragons in wetlands with a mage friend. They hit for 800+ dmg. I could stay in shadowform and both still be fully healed after battle. I could pull aggro from the mage when needed. I'd like to see a holy priest do that, I'd imagine they'd be spamming flash heal and would probably be out of mana by the end of the battle.
( Last edited by mhuie; Sep 16, 2005 at 04:11 PM. )
MBP 1.83

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mhuie
Except that shadow priests get owned by hunters, holy/disc priests and warlocks.
not that I've ever seen.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 04:22 PM

I hate when people post this BS.

Healing isn't the only ability Priests have. They can outdps most classes, even mages). A holy priest is standing around 1/2 the time if you have a party smaller than five. Most PvE grinding is 2-3 people.

Who cares if a resto druid can outheal a shadow priest, it all comes down to which has more utility in an group. Rogues can outdps warriors, your point?

I've never sucked in group PvE as a shadow priest, holy priests suck PvE. They can't solo, can't really help dps and are pretty much healbots. They arent even necessary to run instances.
You sucked, you just didn't know it. Holy/Dis is the best build for group PvE, period. Let the other classes do their jobs. If a Holy/Dis Priest is "standing around" in any instance, then the rest of the party is dying. I deal with Shadow Priest wankers all the time, none of them can heal for sh**, so you know what? They don't get invited back for MC, UBRS, and the new ZG. Do as much damage as a mage? Maybe, but where's your AOE or your CC? Makes you just a gimped "shadow mage" that no group would pick over the real thing. Holy priests not needed for instances? Tell that to ANY raiding guild. Have you run through MC yet?

AS I was saying. For solo play, shadow rocks. For group PvE, it blows.
- Thomas Paine

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2005, 05:40 PM

You sucked, you just didn't know it. Holy/Dis is the best build for group PvE, period. Let the other classes do their jobs. If a Holy/Dis Priest is "standing around" in any instance, then the rest of the party is dying. I deal with Shadow Priest wankers all the time, none of them can heal for sh**, so you know what? They don't get invited back for MC, UBRS, and the new ZG. Do as much damage as a mage? Maybe, but where's your AOE or your CC? Makes you just a gimped "shadow mage" that no group would pick over the real thing. Holy priests not needed for instances? Tell that to ANY raiding guild. Have you run through MC yet?

AS I was saying. For solo play, shadow rocks. For group PvE, it blows.
Yes, because all PvE is running instances, and all PvE needs AOE . Get a clue.

I've run MC, BWL (enough times to get most of my prophecy set) as shadow in guild runs and no one complains. We just ran ZG yesterday and got to the second boss before the server bellied up. I just 5 manned strat SM as the solo healer with no wipes. 99% of the wipes aren't because the priest can't heal enough, its the dumb players that you play with. Of course theres is an advantage to being holy/disc, but nothing a good player can't overcome, nor is it a requirement to spec that way.
MBP 1.83

CaptainHaddock  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2005, 08:55 AM

"99% of the wipes aren't because the priest can't heal enough, its the dumb players that you play with."

That's exactly true. Whenever I party in dungeons, I take the approach that I can't rely on being healed. That way, I make smarter decisions and fewer mistakes. I also pay as much attention as possible to the other players. I'm a hunter, and it's my job to take the heat off party-mates who are in trouble with my gun and my pet (who is a freaking tank now that I have bestial wrath).

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2005, 03:37 AM

I just started playing again after a 3 month break, and I tell you one thing, my hunter @ lvl 60 is a LOT more powerful than he was before. My pet (Rak'Shiri - Rare spawn in WS) can definately hold his own against at least 3 level 60 mobs. Before the patch he didn't fare so well.

P.S. What happened to the design of the DogCows site?

(Lindyan - Former DogCow that moved to Azjol-Nerub)

-cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2005, 03:49 AM

So true, now some hunter's pets are semi-gods of speed and power, outspeeding epic mounts and hitting like 5 times a second ....

signed: frustrated warlock

-Q-
Sep 19, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by cSurfr
P.S. What happened to the design of the DogCows site?

(Lindyan - Former DogCow that moved to Azjol-Nerub)

-cs
The server had a major blow-up so we took the opportunity to upgrade to the newest version of geeklog. We're working on putting the old 'skin' back but it's taking a bit longer than expected (as most tech projects seem to lately. ).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by eevyl
So true, now some hunter's pets are semi-gods of speed and power, outspeeding epic mounts and hitting like 5 times a second ....

signed: frustrated warlock
Yeah, you can pretty much just go get a soda if a hunter decides to attack you now. Can't even seduce the little brutes like you can with rogues. I'm seriously thinking about respeccing affliction to get more instant casts.
Chuck
___

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2005, 06:50 PM

Yes, because all PvE is running instances, and all PvE needs AOE . Get a clue.

I've run MC, BWL (enough times to get most of my prophecy set) as shadow in guild runs and no one complains. We just ran ZG yesterday and got to the second boss before the server bellied up. I just 5 manned strat SM as the solo healer with no wipes. 99% of the wipes aren't because the priest can't heal enough, its the dumb players that you play with. Of course theres is an advantage to being holy/disc, but nothing a good player can't overcome, nor is it a requirement to spec that way.
As I'm sure you're WELL aware, if you're running MC/BWL you'll know that you aren't the only healer...

I leveled a 60 Priest with Shadow, PvP'd for a bit, got bored, respec'd to Disc (31)/Holy (20) and grabbed as much +healing/spirit gear as I could. I now completely pwn as a healer. I have a 59+ Rogue and a 53+ Hunter for my PvP needs now. When I want to instance I roll out my Priest.

Run some numbers and you'll see, Shadow Priests can't heal very well. 5 man, solo healer, no problems usually. 20~40 man raids? A Shadow Priest is pretty much dead weight and mana inefficient. No offense to Shadow Priests, but the spec isn't for raid healing. It's for fun, which I agree is cool in PvP, but not very useful in raids.

Great thing is, there is always someone who picks Disc/Holy, Holy/Disc, or Shadow/Disc. Variety is the spice of life, to each their own.
MacBook Pro

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by gbafan
As I'm sure you're WELL aware, if you're running MC/BWL you'll know that you aren't the only healer...

I leveled a 60 Priest with Shadow, PvP'd for a bit, got bored, respec'd to Disc (31)/Holy (20) and grabbed as much +healing/spirit gear as I could. I now completely pwn as a healer. I have a 59+ Rogue and a 53+ Hunter for my PvP needs now. When I want to instance I roll out my Priest.

Run some numbers and you'll see, Shadow Priests can't heal very well. 5 man, solo healer, no problems usually. 20~40 man raids? A Shadow Priest is pretty much dead weight and mana inefficient. No offense to Shadow Priests, but the spec isn't for raid healing. It's for fun, which I agree is cool in PvP, but not very useful in raids.

Great thing is, there is always someone who picks Disc/Holy, Holy/Disc, or Shadow/Disc. Variety is the spice of life, to each their own.
Very well said. Glad to see someone is paying attention.
- Thomas Paine

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 22, 2005, 07:39 AM

Bump...to make this the longest strand of WoW threads ever on.

CaptainHaddock  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2005, 12:12 PM

Out of curiosity, do any hunters not do Beast Mastery? Since they changed the talent tree, I'm about 2/3 beast mastery (have to have bestial wrath) and 1/3 survival.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2005, 12:52 PM

Out of curiosity, do any hunters not do Beast Mastery? Since they changed the talent tree, I'm about 2/3 beast mastery (have to have bestial wrath) and 1/3 survival.
I'm currently doing 31 Survival with the rest in Marksmanship. I'm on a PvP server however and I'm pretty dependant on survival I'm more of a stamina built Hunter as it is so being able to actually melee and kite during PvP is extremely helpful to me.
MacBook Pro

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2005, 01:11 PM

Yeah, it looks like Beast Mastery is now the equivalent of Demonology for warlocks — whether or not you want everything else in the tree, you're a squishy target dummy without the 31-point talent.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules