Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How many out there are waiting?

How many out there are waiting?
habibman
Sep 14, 2005, 08:44 PM

Hi, this is just a thread I am starting out of my anxiousness to get a powerbook. I feel like I have been waiting forever and I want to know how many people out there are waiting. I was so close to getting a new one toward the end of august, but they I came across this forum: a blessing and a curse. Now I have been miserable ever since I decided to wait till Macworld and it feels like I will never get my powerbook. I have been in school 3 weeks now without a computer, more imporatntly without a powerbook, and want to cry. Am I the only one???

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 09:31 PM

I'm waiting for an upgraded PB also. But I'm writing this on a Mac mini, so it's not quite as important to me, I imagine.

cmsmith225
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 10:23 PM

I am in your exact situation. I have been waiting for weeks to make my purchase and make a "look at what I bought congratulate me on my great decision" post. Either way it goes update or not, I am getting a new Powerbook on Tuesday.

robisconfusedd
Sep 14, 2005, 11:12 PM

i remember that feeling.. i fell in love with my friends and then i realized how foolish i was doing video editing on a pc and it looked like crap, then when i got my powerbook i totally ditched my pc i dont think ive touched it in years!!

Kev052683
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 11:56 PM

Dude - I drove 2 hours to an Apple Store, convinced I was going to make my purchase yesterday. Then I just sat there, debating whether I should buy now or just wait until the 20th and see what happens. I mean, I'll probably end up buying one between the 20th and the 24th either way, unless they decide to bump prices up.

Either way, a better battery life or a better processor is worth the wait... hopefully

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2005, 12:12 AM

If the PB is going to be updated before January it will be "silent " event. you know - store goes down in the AM and comes up with updated PB's. IMO, apple got to be careful, essentially only one update prior to the mactel PB so timing got to good. Release the new updated PB's too early and some delay occurs with the mactels that would be bad. That said, I think that updated pb wont be around till December. I hope that I'm wrong though.

But my scenerio is different - I have a 1.5 PB which should last me for another year or two!
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

cavepainter
Sep 15, 2005, 12:23 AM

Get a Pismo. It'll run Tiger passably for the next 12 mos. at little investment; and be a great second unit when PB's meet Intel.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2005, 02:09 AM

Waiting on the PowerBook is pointless IMO. Next gen PowerBooks won't be out until mid to late next year and any speed bump until then will be insignificant.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

lars-man
Sep 15, 2005, 03:32 AM

Hi *,

I'm in the same boat. I'm considering a purchase for long time now but could still not decide whether I should get a 15" PowerBook or a Dual G5 (2 GHz) - both do cost nearly the same here in Europe. I'm just afraid that I won't see a big performance gain when switching from a G4/400 to a G4/1,5 GHz (or 1,67 GHz). Otherwise, I'd like to have a little bit more mobility...

Regards, Lars

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2005, 03:05 PM

While it might not seem like night and day, you will still see a big difference between a G4/400 and a G4/1.5GHz. Although not quite comparable, but I made the jump from a G3/400MHz to the PB in my sig and it was a huge difference to me. However, the difference between a G4/400 and a 2xG5/2GHz would be pretty massive

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 03:36 PM

I'm waiting for the update. I refuse to buy another Powerbook until they are updated.

spencers
Sep 15, 2005, 04:53 PM

I'm waiting

I'd like to see: 12" Widescreen, 2 button mouse, and a card reader
pfft, like any of that will happen..

But a non-12" widescreen powerbook is really holding me back from purchasing.

Otherwise, I wouldnt mind to see a bump in speed, ram, hard drive, and graphics..

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 05:11 PM

I'm waiting for the next PowerBook generation as well!
Its not that my current PowerBook (15" rev. b, 1.5GHz) is not powerfull enough. The main reason is that it dont support the 30" ACD.

So as soon as Apple push out the new PowerBook generation I will buy a 15" and a 30" ACD!

habibman  (op)
Sep 15, 2005, 11:27 PM

hey, thanks for all the replies! Feeling better bout the whole situation!

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 11:32 PM

- The 12'' widescreen may never come (the screen is to little for widescreen).

- A new design is required for a new 12'', which propably won't be here before the mactels. (if ever)

- An update may come, but don't let this be a reason to stay at school without a computer. (The update before the PentiumBook will not be significant, as allready mentioned)

And BTW, because of the ppc/x86 switch I think it is an advantage to have a PPC while the OS X platform is getting more ready. :-)
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2005, 02:29 AM

I'm waiting too. I'm not getting one till at least the 3rd of October, and if they are updated around that time, or close to it, then I will wait. If the new rumour from think secret is accurate, and the PB's won't be updated till January 2006, then I'll just get one in early October.

However, an update on or around the 20th of this month would be ideal! hehehe...
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules