Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Owners of the new iMac: Sum up the total iMac experience.

Owners of the new iMac: Sum up the total iMac experience.
Macintosh
Banned
Apr 22, 2002, 09:18 PM

Just because I like to hear about it...In a few words sum up the total imac experience.

Thanks...one question though>>>What are "ghost trails" on the LCD and have you experienced them?

cheerios
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2002, 09:20 PM

My guess would be when you move the mouse fast, and you can see multiple pointer images trailing behind, and yes. I think it's a result of hte fixed refresh rate of hte LCD's, being at 60 Hz... (I THINK it's Mhz..., but I have Questions tells me I'm wrong, which is to be expected! ). My iMac experience so far, WONDERFUL, while i had the damn thing! Over a week now, and no word when it's coming back.

edit: fixed the units on the refresh rate!

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: cheerios ]
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Macintosh  (op)
Banned
Apr 22, 2002, 09:23 PM

Cool, would you call the iMac the best computer you have ever used?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2002, 02:25 AM

The imac, though a compact computer, has practically defeated all of the problems of a compact computer, for once the computer adjusts to you, and not the other way around, it's quite an eyecatcher, and for most usage is a extremely powerful computer despite the fact it only has a 10 inch diameter.

My sentence?

It may be small, but it's very powerful, the luxo lamp will make you WANT to use it, not just because it looks cool, but it feels speedy as well.

Just as a thought: The LCD isn't the same caliber as my cinema display, but that's expected, it's vertical viewing angle, and pixel refresh could be fixed.

The imac, though not the best computer I've ever used, (I have to be honest), it is the best computer I've ever used under $2k however.

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: Mac Zealot ]
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2002, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>fixed refresh rate of hte LCD's, being at 60 Mhz... (I THINK it's Mhz...). [ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: cheerios ]</STRONG>
Hz actually, not MHz... but who's counting?

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
<STRONG>
The imac, though not the best computer I've ever used...</STRONG>
Just wondering, what IS the best coputer you have ever used?

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Apr 23, 2002, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE:
<STRONG>

Just wondering, what IS the best coputer you have ever used? </STRONG>
Amiga 500. Too cool. My home built Athlon was also very good and handled anything I threw at it (which was a lot!). Awesome. Then my Ti-Book is great. Then the iMac is the fourth best system I used.

as2
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 04:31 AM

My new iMac experience has been 'fun' as it is my parents and I spent most of the time playing with iMovie and iDVD.

It has also been 'annoying' as the modem quits out randomly, usually about 2 minutes after you connect so checking my email while back at home took hours.

Overall though, it's fast, looks good, and causes most people who see it to go "Wow" taking the modem into mind it gets 4.5 out of 5.

Adam (Saving to get his own iMac Superdrive!)
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

WebOliver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2002, 04:58 AM

I just have my new iMac 700 for 3 weeks now. It's amazing, no problems. I put it 1Gb Ram, so I'm ok for a while! About the design: after some days of utilisation, you just see the screen and forget the computer that's behind, you don't see it!

dazzla
Senior User
Apr 23, 2002, 06:51 AM

The iMac is the first mac I've ever owned so my opinions will differ a little. I think that the problems/dissapointments I'm experiencing are inherent with OS X rather then the iMac.

Such as web browsing under OS X, scrolling and window resizing. I believe these are common problems and should be solved with the release of 10.2.

Another problem I've experienced is inconsistent font smoothing. I came to the Mac platform from a VAIO laptop running XP so the font smoothing experience I had with that was good. Flawless even. But on OS X, the smoothing is very inconsistent. Some areas of the OS have it down to a T, but others it makes the text barely readable. Omniweb is an example, surfing the net with font smoothing on is impossible, text seems so blurry. Again, this isn't a problem with the iMac itself rather an OS X problem.

Speed on the iMac is acceptable, I don't feel that it's amazingly quick at anything in particular, again, 10.2 might surpise me and make everything quicker. I just seem to get that damn spinning beachball/CD way to often for my liking.

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2002, 05:59 PM

I love my iMac (800mhz Superdrive). It does everything i need it to do, itunes for my music, imovie and idvd to make dvds, omniweb for the internet, iphoto for digital photography, photoshop now and i love os x so much i dont even use os 9 anymore. as far as os x being slow or internet browsering being slow i haven't seen it.
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2002, 06:03 PM

doh...posted twice

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: macthelastredman ]
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 06:10 PM

In a word: Perfect.

Not to mention, every week I find some new freeware that satisfies the geek in me.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2002, 08:44 PM

In terms of form factor, as close to perfection as anyone's gotten. The floating screen was my main reason for buying it and remains my favorite feature. I'm generally not even aware of the presence of a computer - all I usually see in front of me is a screen floating in the air. It's not just ergonomically correct - it's a magical way to experience technology.

mbryda
Senior User
Apr 25, 2002, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
<STRONG>Cool, would you call the iMac the best computer you have ever used?</STRONG>

YES! And this is from someone who used PC's for like 10+ years, is a network admin by day and builds PC's by night. Hands down the best $1800 I've ever spent!

-Matt

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2002, 08:45 AM

My words:

cool and classy.

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2002, 07:19 PM

I've been using macs since the SE/30 days and have always more or less aligned myself with the "pro" line of the PowerMacs and PowerBooks. I remember when the original iMacs came out I told myself that I would never buy an iMac. Too much gumdroppiness, too much cuteness, too much like "my parents' computer"...and in fact both my own parents and my in-laws bought iMacs...the original bondi blue, while I stayed with my beige PowerMac G3.

Well, the times are changing, I suppose, and I am finding it very satisfying that "less is often more." My new iMac 800 certainly embodies that idea. The whole experience from ordering (and waiting) to receiving, to unpacking and setting the iMac up was a most cathartic experience. Apple really has it down when it comes to elegance and simplicity or form and function...right down to the little silver twist-ties around the neck of the iMac. Wow.

nana2
Senior User
Apr 28, 2002, 04:50 AM

mid range combo drive g4 imac with 256MB ram.

OS 9.2 - good performace, reponsive
OS X - a slug, slow, pathetic, vomitous.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2002, 12:07 PM

Yeah, OS 10.2 better be a REALLY nice upgrade. OS X still needs to be sped up about 2x to come up to par with OS 9. Limewire is still a ***** under X, but it's amazing with 9. Just wish i could use everything seemlessly on X. I pray that Steve will wow us with 10.2!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2002, 06:56 PM

It's one of the nicest computers I've ever used for the price.

I think a custom-built, multiprocessor Athlon MP system with two Athlon MP 1900+'s, 3 gigabytes of OCZ registered PC-3200 DDR memory, a SCSI RAID, a GeForce4 Ti 4600, a 22-inch LaCie CRT, a SoundBlaster Audigy, and a Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 sound system is the best computer I have used. To say the least, it was fast.

The 1-gigahertz, dual-processor Power Mac with an Apple Cinema Display (22-inch TFT) is a close second.

Macintosh  (op)
Banned
Apr 28, 2002, 07:35 PM

Well, now that I have and am using the new IMac I must say in one word: PERFECT.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2002, 10:49 PM

Ok, so I have to admit, the dp800 is not the fastest feeling machine I've ever used, the award would go to:

Athlon mp dual 2200's with a geforce 4 ti 4600, 4gb pc3200 DDR ram, and a 22" cinema display that was DVIated

The best machine I ever owned is still the dp800, but I do remember the sweet 2 days I had the athlon 2200xp machine before I sold it off.

I've h4x0r3d OS X to feel faster, so far I'm getting there and it's begining to feel sooo much better!

Now if only I could find a super fast browser instead of the old fashioned crappy bloatware that is around for the mac platform.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Joost
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2002, 12:42 AM

In a word, sweet. I'm running an iMac 800 with 768megs. Among the best machines I've ever used, and enough to convince two confirmed PC users at my workplace to jump ship.

Sweet, despite the hard-drive failure I had after two months -- Apple put in a new drive after a couple of days, so no big problem.

Sweet, despite occasional laginess in the UI -- OS X 10.2 speed-up needed. That's one of the few things stopping the new iMac from being sublime.

Another (at least for those outside the US) is having to go through OS and app installation, via the Software Restore disks, straight out of the box -- 35 minutes I would have spent swooning over the thing had it all been pre-installed.

Those bits aside, I'm well pleased. Well pleased.

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Joost ]
He that will eat the kernel must crack the nut.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2002, 01:43 AM

originally posted by Macintosh:
Thanks...one question though - What are "ghost trails" on the LCD and have you experienced them?
Mouse trails are a software feature that one can enable/disable. They only are seen permanently when you have a really poor monitor, one with a low refresh rate. In contrast, some people have reported seeing blurring on the iMac LCD when high frame rate video is played. I haven't seen that on any iMac I've used, however.

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Big Mac ]

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lenkman
Apr 29, 2002, 04:17 PM

Well, I don't actually own one, but use one on a damn near daily basis.

I use the midrange, running in 9 (we use it for a yearbook, so X isn't really an option until there is a native pagemaker or inexpensive substitute. X sucks on it anyway. Need more ram).

I absolutely love the form factor - the floating screen kicks some serious a$$. But using it in public is a bit of a risk. We set it up to distribute the 2002 yearbook, and the screen got as much attention as the book did. (which is a bad thing). So I don't plan to take it out of its room for at least another year. Oh well. Most pieces of art stay in a museum for most of their "lives."

For some reason, though, 9 is horribly unstable. I would have gotten around to reinstalling everything, but simply have not had the time yet. (damn finals) It crashes at least twice a day under normal operation, often more. I hope to fix that soon, though.

It isn't the best computer I've ever used, but it is definitely up there. Give it a faster processor and a bigger screen and I'd buy one in a second (assuming no price change)

xenu
Senior User
Apr 29, 2002, 06:25 PM

Got my iMac yesterday - 700 MHz CD-RW with 768 MB Ram. The OS is 10.1.2.

This is my second mac - my first was an LC520. I have been using Unix(& Linux) for the past 7 years. Tried Windows 98 and ME for about a month. POC.

I spent the afternoon setting it up, together with the epson c70 printer and the pro speakers.

Lovely screen. OS X is first class. I saw no dead pixels. I was afraid the monitor would be small, being used to 17" at home, and 21" at work (screen size, people!!). I was surprised with how much screen there is. I have no complaints, unless they come out with a 17" flat screen iMac in the next month or so!

I had problems getting the printer to run, but started OS 9, (which is ugly) figured out how to select the chooser, and now works fine. The computer spoke to me at one stage.
An amusing experience!! I hope epson have OS X drivers for the c70.

Two operating systems is a little confusing. Looking forward to the day it is just OS X.

I am having problems with netscape in OS 9. Keeps telling me the connection has failed, but I know it hasn't.

I logged on this morning to try and get my email working. It booted OS 9. Odd. Went into the control panel, selected OS X as my start up disk, and rebooted.

Tried to set up iDisk. No idea what happened. The little blue ball icon sits on my hard drive. The plugin dialog box came up,
it went to the iDisk login page, and that was it. Step 3 says fill out a form. What form??? Where???

Using the modem couldn't be easier. One click from the main menu. How easy is that?

Tested the OS by pluging in my partners digital camera. Knew it straight off, no install cd needed. Down loaded pictures and movies in no time at all.

Put in Santana's "Supernatural". I now have this CD on my hard drive as MP3's. A breeze.

I have managed to freeze the system twice. The mouse moves, but nothing else does. No idea what I did. Hopefully upgrading to 10.1.4 will help.

I tried upgrading Appleworks from a disk image, but it wants the admin. I thought I was the admin? Do I need to log out, and log back in as admin?

I haven't looked for the terminal yet. I hope it is there.

The start up sound is a triffle loud. I assume I can change that.

A most pleasant experience. I am going to have a lot of fun with this computer.

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: xenu ]
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Macintosh  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2002, 07:47 PM

To change something that says it needs an admin to do you just click the LOCK button and enter your password then install or whatever it is you are trying to do.

You will see the little lock on one of the corners of the window.

xenu
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
<STRONG>To change something that says it needs an admin to do you just click the LOCK button and enter your password then install or whatever it is you are trying to do.

You will see the little lock on one of the corners of the window.</STRONG>
Thank you, works nicely.

I managed to find the OS X drivers for the epson c70.
Hopefully I will never see OS 9 again.

I also found the terminal. Feels good to have a command line.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Forum Links
Forum Rules