Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple Forums Removing Scratching Topics!

Apple Forums Removing Scratching Topics!
PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 03:15 PM

Yesterday I posted a topic regarding returning my iPod Nano due to the excessive amount of scratching, and today I received an email warning, and told the thread was removed due to the non technical nature. Shame on Apple for once again trying to bury the complaints of issues with products they produce. I think as the iPod has gotten smaller, Apple's arrogance has grown larger. Shame on Apple.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2005, 07:01 PM

Did your ipod come scratched or did it just get scratched easily?

torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2005, 02:57 PM

Or maybe they don't want 1500 threads about the same thing? I've never been to a forum that allowed everyone to post a thread about their own particular problem, without regard for the existing, and identical threads. I was just over there and there are a few threads about scratching. They can't be deleting them all. Maybe yours was, umm, redundant??

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by torifile
Or maybe they don't want 1500 threads about the same thing? I've never been to a forum that allowed everyone to post a thread about their own particular problem, without regard for the existing, and identical threads. I was just over there and there are a few threads about scratching. They can't be deleting them all. Maybe yours was, umm, redundant??
Redundant... like all the other scratch threads here. Jebus H. on a popsicle stick!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 17, 2005, 11:40 PM

Maybe you can just take care of your iPod nano instead of whinning like a baby on teh Apple site?

You got a problem with it? Take it back and get a refund or have it replaced.. this time take care of it.

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 17, 2005, 11:44 PM

umm, maybe you have no clue? My post on Apple's sight was not redundant. I was the first to post that I returned mine and bought a mini instead. It was one of two threads that were growing, with others who also are not happy with the ease of scratching the Nano.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

budster101
Baninated
Sep 17, 2005, 11:54 PM

Maybe you could copy your post in this forum and let us be the judge...

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 18, 2005, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Maybe you could copy your post in this forum and let us be the judge...
Hi Budster,

I already did post the same topic from the Apple web site, on MacNN under "Nano-Easy to scratch???" http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=269549

But why do you or anyone else have to judge whether my topic on the Apple forums was redundant or not? Are you or anyone else on this board bestowed with that title? Wouldn't the number of times you have posted here include many redundant posts? Don't these forums or the Macworld, or Apple, or any others exist for the purpose of discussion?

zoroaster68
Baninated
Sep 18, 2005, 02:09 AM

I don't get people who are obsessed with 'scratches' on their Mp3 players. They're designed to play music, and be easy to use. They are not designed to look like a museum piece. My ipod is scratched to all hell. I don't give a rat's ass. Why? I actually use it. I don't understand the point of having a flawless ipod without any scratches whatsoever that you cannot use or throw in your pocket or have to worry about if some dirt is going to hurt it. You are nuts.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 18, 2005, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by PeterKG
Hi Budster,

I already did post the same topic from the Apple web site, on MacNN under "Nano-Easy to scratch???" http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=269549

But why do you or anyone else have to judge whether my topic on the Apple forums was redundant or not? Are you or anyone else on this board bestowed with that title? Wouldn't the number of times you have posted here include many redundant posts? Don't these forums or the Macworld, or Apple, or any others exist for the purpose of discussion?
Actually, I or anyone don't, but it's fun. Apple can take anything off their site they choose to. It's theirs, just like this forum administrators can do as they wish as it pertains to this site.

ADMINISTRATORS have the right to delete posts and threads, to answer your redundent question in your redundent thread.

zoroaster68
Baninated
Sep 18, 2005, 12:40 PM

PeterKG: Don't bother yourself about budster. He's the one who enjoys picking fights and generally being an asshole on these forums. Anyway, just ignore him and feel better about yourself knowing that you at least know how to spell redundant correctly.

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 18, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by zoroaster68
PeterKG: Don't bother yourself about budster. He's the one who enjoys picking fights and generally being an asshole on these forums. Anyway, just ignore him and feel better about yourself knowing that you at least know how to spell redundant correctly.
Hi Zoro,

Thanks so much. My whole purpose of posting this thread was to let people know that again there is an issue with an Apple product, and that as usual Apple is atempting to quiet the storm using censorship. This is unacceptable from a corporation that pretends to "think different". I have gone through this with my 12" Powerbook, 15" Powerbook, G5 iMac, and the Nano.

As far as budster, goes, I doubt he bothered to understand, that a possibly great product, that I'm, sure will sell very well despite it's flawed materials. should hold up under normal use, as do most electronic devices that take the same abuse, such as cell phones, PDA's, etc.

I also think that because a person has over 6000 posting's, that a certain amount of arrogance sets in, causing the poster to think his opinions are more valid than others. I won't waste my time going through his past postings. I don't have as much time on my hands to waste, as he obviously does.

torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 09:50 PM

Peter, my point was that you're accusation is false. There are, at this time, several threads about scratches on the Nano. 3 on the first page alone. One of those has 114 replies and one has 66. Since you're thread title is not a question (the answer to which would be "no"), you're being inflammatory. Sorry you're OCD about your iPods. The nano isn't one you'd be able to live with.

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 18, 2005, 10:44 PM

Peter, my point was that you're accusation is false. There are, at this time, several threads about scratches on the Nano. 3 on the first page alone. One of those has 114 replies and one has 66. Since you're thread title is not a question (the answer to which would be "no"), you're being inflammatory. Sorry you're OCD about your iPods. The nano isn't one you'd be able to live with.
Hi torifile,

My accusation is not false as they have been deleting new threads and individulal posts in threads all day long (Sunday). Your point is valid though that they want to keep all the scratch threads to a minimum. You could say the motive is to delete redundant posts, or I could say for more sinister reasons to remove complaints. I watched this also happen in regards to Rev A G5 iMac complaints of fan noise and other issues.

But you are absolutely correct that my post was inflammatory, because I was letting other unhapppy buyers know I returned my Nano. That is the last thing Apple wants posters to tell people to do. But thanks for the post. I respected your opinion the first time, and knew right where you were coming from.

By the way I couldn't be more pleased to have a Mini. Maybe Apple will someday update the Nano using Aluminum, then this issue will go away.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 18, 2005, 10:48 PM

If you want to complain, call Applecare. What is so hard about that?
Now you want an Aluminum nano... call IVES... give him your expert opinion.

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 18, 2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
If you want to complain, call Applecare. What is so hard about that?
Now you want an Aluminum nano... call IVES... give him your expert opinion.
Hi budster,

Good idea, but I returned my Nano and I don't think Ives would take my call.
( Last edited by PeterKG; Sep 18, 2005 at 11:10 PM. )

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2005, 11:46 PM

While I personally think this whole nano scratch issue is blown well out of proportion (I have nano and it's holding up as well as any other iPod i've had, including the shuffle), I do have to wonder why you're trying to raise an alarm. It sounds to me like you've received excellent service from Apple.

-You buy nano and are for whatever reason you choose are unhappy
-Apple allows you to return it and you do

I'm not casting stones at all so keep that in mind if you decide to respond. I'm just having trouble understanding why you're posting everywhere when you received excellent service and the nano didn't have a problem with what it actually is . . . a music player.

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by iKevin
While I personally think this whole nano scratch issue is blown well out of proportion (I have nano and it's holding up as well as any other iPod i've had, including the shuffle), I do have to wonder why you're trying to raise an alarm. It sounds to me like you've received excellent service from Apple.

-You buy nano and are for whatever reason you choose are unhappy
-Apple allows you to return it and you do

I'm not casting stones at all so keep that in mind if you decide to respond. I'm just having trouble understanding why you're posting everywhere when you received excellent service and the nano didn't have a problem with what it actually is . . . a music player.
Hi Kevin,

I actually don't know why I tried to raise alarm. I guess I don't like censorship and wanted to come someplace to tell others. For you to dismiss scratching as an issue simply because yours has not, or because you think that music players are supposed to scratch because music players are supposed to be made of inferior cheap plastics, does not lessen the problem for those who don't accept your reasoning. Whether it is due to defective batches of Nanos shippped from China, or Apple chose to use inferior cheap plastic to keep the profit per unit high, they should be held accountable.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 19, 2005, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by PeterKG
Hi torifile,

My accusation is not false as they have been deleting new threads and individulal posts in threads all day long (Sunday). Your point is valid though that they want to keep all the scratch threads to a minimum. You could say the motive is to delete redundant posts, or I could say for more sinister reasons to remove complaints. I watched this also happen in regards to Rev A G5 iMac complaints of fan noise and other issues.

But you are absolutely correct that my post was inflammatory, because I was letting other unhapppy buyers know I returned my Nano. That is the last thing Apple wants posters to tell people to do. But thanks for the post. I respected your opinion the first time, and knew right where you were coming from.

By the way I couldn't be more pleased to have a Mini. Maybe Apple will someday update the Nano using Aluminum, then this issue will go away.
I don't think you realize why they closed your thread. It wasn't closed in an act of censorship. It was closed as an act of making the message boards readable. Too many threads addressing scratches would drown out other threads of other types of iPod concerns. Simply address your concerns about iPod scratches in thread that already exist. The same thing is done here. It is a good moderating technique that keeps the message boards enjoyable.

volcano
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 03:08 AM

I don't see on the Apple website (or any iPod box for that matter), in any way, shape, or form, where they claim the iPod is "scratch-free","scratch-resistant" or "incapable of getting scratched". This is why they will never, ever be held "accountable" for this.

Everyone who buys an iPod expects it to easily stratch. It's pretty much a known fact. Sad, but true. Apple creates beautiful products - and as in the case of the iPod, I too wish the casing were a bit more durable and rugged so I wouldn't feel the "I MUST BUY A CASE NOW" voice ringing in my head after buying one.

But you know what? I'm sick of all of this complaining. If Apple were to increase the durability of the iPod, I'm positive the price increase would be substantial - which would probably cost Apple marketshare due to a slump in sales. Another sad but possibly true fact. I love my iPod to death - I have 2 pouches for it that I use daily, and a PDA screen protection film over the screen. I'm happy and content with it because it retains the beauty of the iPod in any situation - I loathe those bulky "cases" that eat up iPods and take away their beauty. Besides - think about it - even if the iPod was scratch-proof, you know you'd STILL buy a case or pouch for it when you throw it in your bag, pocket, purse.. etc, to protect the hardware components.

I used to be like you. My first iPod was a 6GB mini earlier this year. I rarely used the case I purchased for it and when it died last month (who knows why) it hardly had a scratch on it (but then again, under "stressful" conditions like my backpack I would put it in a case - which probably saved its short life). When it died, I opt'ed for an iPod with a color display - and I was SO PICKY about it that I would analyze every inch of it every night. You know what else? I ended up returning THREE of those iPods because some little inconsistancy on it would freak me out. The first time I noticed a white particle underneath the screen, and the last 2 returns I thought the chrome-backings were scratched more than they should've been. I knew it was my Monk/OCD side kicking in. So upon my last purchase I vowed not to return it - and I haven't. It's been working wonderfully and I'm 100% satisfied. You need to get over your irrational fear like I had to. Things in life scratch up. Think about those old clunky portable CD players we all used to carry around - imagine if we were able to fit those in our pockets! I'm sure we all would've bought a case.

My advice? Get over it. Get on with your life and listen to your music.

apollo11
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2005, 07:15 AM

Do Apple brainstorm potential short comings such as easy to scratch iPods or G3 iMac dead displays?

I would if I was head of a manufacturing Corp. I wonder if we can access Apple's meetings minutes? (In my dreams maybe)

For example when drug companies trial drugs they get to know about issues, incompatibilities , side effects that are inconvienient and fatal. They decide (gamble on)what to do in such a situation.

I wonder if Apple are fully aware of the scratch issue and predict that most of us will live with it or use a silver polish?

The best deal I ever had was with Sinclair in the 1970's - durability was an issue with their calculators so they put in a no quibble gaurantee for 12 months. Many replacements were provided without any arguments, they never repaired just sent a new one. This was at a time when a calculator cost about 1 weeks salary, about the same as a G5 iMac today.

Should Apple adopt such a policy?

pete
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 10:25 AM

You know, you're right, Apple never claimed that it wouldn't get scratches. However, you're wrong that it would cost so much more to use a scratch-resistant surface. The Ipod MINI proved that! Why couldn't they use something like that?

Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 19, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by zoroaster68
I don't get people who are obsessed with 'scratches' on their Mp3 players. They're designed to play music, and be easy to use. They are not designed to look like a museum piece. My ipod is scratched to all hell. I don't give a rat's ass. Why? I actually use it. I don't understand the point of having a flawless ipod without any scratches whatsoever that you cannot use or throw in your pocket or have to worry about if some dirt is going to hurt it. You are nuts.
The main thing that worries me is resale value. If my black Nano is scratched "to all hell" when I get ready to sale it eventually, it will be much harder to sale. So, I'm just gonna have to take care of it until cases are available.

inkhead
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 02:52 PM

screw resell value, obviously you shouldn't have boughten an ipod. Stop worrying about the stupid scratches and use the damn thing. YOU BOUGHT it to play music, not resell. This is why my pc friends hate mac users, for crap like this. It's not a ferrari, and even if it was it needs to be driven. stop bitching about the scratches, use the damn thing, and shove those earbuds back into your ears. seriously shutup already. nobody cares.

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak
The main thing that worries me is resale value. If my black Nano is scratched "to all hell" when I get ready to sale it eventually, it will be much harder to sale. So, I'm just gonna have to take care of it until cases are available.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2005, 05:03 PM

As others have said, iPods scratch unless they're housed in hard cases. Either buy a protective case and put it on from the first moment the unit comes out or accept the scratches. It's not a difficult concept.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zoroaster68
Baninated
Sep 19, 2005, 08:26 PM

I say scratch it as soon as you get it, that way you won't care and you'll actually use it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules