Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is my iMac G5's Hard Drive replaceable / Upgradeable?

Is my iMac G5's Hard Drive replaceable / Upgradeable?
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 03:42 PM

Is it possible to swap the hard drive in an iMac G5? I have outgrown the 80 GB one and would love to swap it out with my external 160 GB drive. Is this possible? Are there any tutorials specifically for an iMac G5 out there? I have done this before on a Dell... but Dell HDs are a lot easier to get too.

Here is my setup:
iMac G5
1st revision
17"
1.8GHz
SuperDrive
768 MB RAM

External Hard Drive:
LaCie 160 GB Porsche Designed Firewire drive

Are these swappable?

italiano
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 04:18 PM

you'll need a SATA drive to replace it - not an IDE as in most Firewire External Drives - SATA
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 05:02 PM

How can I tell which type my external one is? Or is it pretty much guaranteed to be IDE?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 06:49 PM

Almost guaranteed to be IDE. External SATA drives are rare.

Taking a look at LaCie's product page it seems they offer an external SATA drive and specifically note that in the product name.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10572

westrock
Sep 20, 2005, 05:22 PM

I have the 250gb Porsche drive and it is very much an IDE drive inside.

SATA drives aren't too much more nowadays. New Egg has 160-200gb SATA drives for about $80-$90. Another alternative would be to transfer the LaCie drive into a Firewire external enclosure and use it as the system disc. Although you would only save $50 or so, but then you would have to tote around a external drive to use the iMac....wheres as the $50 extra dollars would give you a internal drive, plus you would still have your 160 Prosche.

There are IDE to SATA convertors, but I highly doubt there is any extra room in an iMac

Rowen
Sep 22, 2005, 06:52 PM

Infact, I was about to post about this on the Mods section of another site. I too have outgrown my Hard drive in my iMac with the exact same specs as yours. With the exception mine was refurbished.

I am looking at newegg.com for a SATA 300GB Maxtor drive. The only problem I have thought of is the heating problem the first generation drives have. But I am hoping with 16Mb cache and it being the server model with a 5 year warrenty, it may not be as bad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144186

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 23, 2005, 02:56 PM

What heating problem? 7200RPM drives have been out for many, many years, and run completely cool. Cache size has no bearing on heat production, and if anything, server drives run hotter. But again, 7200RPM is now the standard technology. There haven't been any "first generation" drives in some time now, really -- the highest speed drives have been 15000RPM for many years now.

tooki

Rowen
Sep 25, 2005, 02:23 AM

The heating problem I was refering to was not that of the drive itself, but that of the iMac G5.
It is my mistake, I ment to say First Generation Macs. I had also read in many reviews of this drive it could run a little "hot" which is not a problem for many end users... with... of course... the "Not iMac G5.a" model. The comment was directed more towards if the drive ran hotter causing the system fan noise problem to increase.

As I said, the only problem I had really thought of.

Forum Links
Forum Rules