Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Processor Upgrade questions

Processor Upgrade questions
skilled2k1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2005, 07:53 PM

I have a Quicksilver 2001 867mhz Single, and its been a honeymoon the entire time ive owned it. Ive done a few upgrades to it over the time Ive had it. Ram bumped to 896mb, video upgraded to a Radeon 8500 then to a Geforce 5200Ultra 128mb, two new 80gb Hard Drives and a Samsung 16x DVD Burner (Dual Layer Support) so needless to say Im not willing to part with it and move on to a G5 just yet, even if it means a better value. Even now it provides me with great day to day performance in basic tasks, which is exactly why I orginally bought it.
But Im looking into doing a processor upgrade and have some questions. Now I want to get Dual even though I may not utilize the second processor enough to warrant me getting it, its just a buffer for the future.

Now Im not looking to spend over 500 dollars, which is why the gigadesigns dual 1.8ghz is tempting, but I have to ask does the added clock speed of the 7447a and 256kb additional L2 Cache make up for the loss of the L3 on the 1.42 models?

Also a question about the future, am I better off waiting a month or so to see what comes out of the pipeline concerning G4 upgrades

Thanks

astepanuks
Sep 27, 2005, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by skilled2k1
Now Im not looking to spend over 500 dollars, which is why the gigadesigns dual 1.8ghz is tempting, but I have to ask does the added clock speed of the 7447a and 256kb additional L2 Cache make up for the loss of the L3 on the 1.42 models?

Also a question about the future, am I better off waiting a month or so to see what comes out of the pipeline concerning G4 upgrades

Thanks
The best place for info on this topic is http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/.
They have in depth reviews and user feedback database with tons of upgrades.
Good luck.
BTW, short answer to your question, it depends on what you do.
MBP 2.16 Ghz, intel iMac 1.83 Ghz, PB 1.67 Ghz, Sawtooth 400 Mhz, iPod mini 4GB

DrBoar
Senior User
Sep 27, 2005, 07:22 AM

I have a GigaDesign 1.2 SP G4 and I am very happy with its performance. However, the heatsink is very small as is the fan so the latter is fast and loud. I have a dual 1.25 at work and I can not tell the difference between that then the singel G4 in the applications I run. But the price differnece between a dual 1.8 and a singel 2.0 is only 100 dollars so go for the dual and participate in any DC project for Team MacNN

Forum Links
Forum Rules