Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Screw the nano. What the hell does the nano do? Who listens to 1,000 songs?"

"Screw the nano. What the hell does the nano do? Who listens to 1,000 songs?"
paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 03:39 PM

(Courtesy of Ars Technica)

Teh Link: http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2005/9/23/1352

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2005, 04:18 PM

What a fool.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 05:07 PM

Zander and moto must in general hate Apple for putting their cROKR to shade with the release of nano in the same event! Lol!!!11
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 09:39 PM

When you can make CEOs swear and curse their competitors products it icing on the cake.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ratm
When you can make CEOs swear and curse their customer's products it icing on the cake.
Fixed.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2005, 01:53 PM

In case you missed it again.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2005, 01:55 PM

Only a couple of other threads on it already.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

paul w  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 02:15 PM

Honestly Randman, where would we be without you?

If only the mods were as diligent as you.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2005, 02:21 PM

If only ...

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2005, 02:33 PM

me (and most of my friends) agree with this man. none of us have 1000 songs on our ipods, we're more in the range of 5,000-10,000

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2005, 05:22 PM

now that is funny stuff

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

{PHOTON}Mazz1020
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by scaught
me (and most of my friends) agree with this man. none of us have 1000 songs on our ipods, we're more in the range of 5,000-10,000

yea agreed. You might as well be carrying this around

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by {PHOTON}Mazz1020
"kind of" funny

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 08:18 AM

What a moron.

Nano = brilliant engineering
ROKR = shitty-ass phone with bloody awful code running iTunes. idiots.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2005, 08:27 AM

it seems like it should have been an easy slam dunk. coming off the popularity of the RAZR, the instant recognition of itunes and something that would be freely associated as an "ipod phone".

how could you **** that up? he found the way to do it, i guess. haha

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
Nano = brilliant engineering
Yeah, I wanted one until I started hearing about the screen scratch issues. Hopefully, that will get taken care of and then I'll buy one.

scaught: Yeah, I have 10,000 songs or so, but I certainly don't want to listen to all of them.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2005, 10:30 AM

http://www.betanews.com/article/Moto...oke/1127763247

Motorola: 'Screw Nano' Comment a Joke
By Nate Mook, BetaNews
September 26, 2005, 3:34 PM
At a leadership seminar in California Friday, Motorola CEO Ed Zander talked about his role in rebuilding the phone maker's brand. But when answering a question from the audience about the iPod Nano, Zander apparently lost his cool saying, "Screw the Nano. What the hell does the Nano do? Who listens to 1,000 songs?"
Motorola, however, has fired back and claims IDG News Service, which first reported the outburst, is taking the comment completely out of context. Company officials say Zander was smiling and joking when he responded to the question, and he did praise Apple and its iPod.

"Motorola has a great partnership with Apple. Unfortunately Ed Zander's comments, made at a conference in California on Friday, were taken out of context," Motorola said in a statement.
The iTunes-capable ROKR has been met with a fairly cold reception since the start. Even on the day of its debut, Apple's Nano stole the show and Motorola was left on the sidelines as Steve Jobs wowed the crowds with a new iPod no thicker than a #2 pencil.
"During the Q&A session one questioner repeatedly and insistently asked what Zander thought of the Nano. Jokingly, Zander said he wasn't there to talk about the Nano - but to talk about the next big thing happening in the industry - the fusion of the phone and music. ROKR with iTunes was a good beginning, he said, and there's more to come," the statement continued.
Motorola says that the 1,000 song remark was simply a joke in response to part of the question that asked why the ROKR only held a maximum of 100 songs. It has been widely reported that Apple -- not Motorola -- imposed the restriction to keep the iTunes phone from affecting sales of the iPod.
Nonetheless, Motorola is working hard to clean up the public relations debacle, even though Zander himself has no problems with the new iPod. Sources tell BetaNews that Zander actually bought two Nanos following the product's launch.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Yeah, I have 10,000 songs or so, but I certainly don't want to listen to all of them.
oh. i have a couple thousand songs on my ipod that i havent even listened to. another few thousand that i maybe want to listen to again. but theyre there, just in case.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by scaught
oh. i have a couple thousand songs on my ipod that i havent even listened to. another few thousand that i maybe want to listen to again. but theyre there, just in case.
When I first got it, I made a smart playlist called 'Unrated' and listened to it exclusively. As each song was played, I gave it a rating, which would bump the song off of that playlist. Eventually, every song had a rating. Songs rated below 3 stars don't go on the iPod anymore. It took me a while to do it, but I'm happy that I did it. I need to do it again because I've added a few gigs and they're not rated.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2005, 06:12 PM

Maybe the Rokr stores music in an uncompressed form of AAC. Maybe it doesn't have the CPU to play compressed music.

Forum Links
Forum Rules