Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network: PowerBook --> Mac mini --> External FireWire drive = Possible?

Network: PowerBook --> Mac mini --> External FireWire drive = Possible?
Nubben
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 05:21 AM

Hi,

I am thinking about setting up a wireless network (only accessible by me) of my PB G4, a Mac mini and an external hard drive. I have looked at so called networked storage but from reviews etc I have found it is not very Mac friendly? Here's what I would like to achieve:

My main computer is my PB G4 1.25Ghz running Tiger with Airport built-in. Since I am running out of storage I would like to move my iTunes lib over to an external source, and also keep that drive as a media source of sorts. It seems like the best (from a Mac perspective) solution is to buy a Mac mini and link my FW drive by FW cable to the Mac mini. From what I understand, I can connect to the Mac mini through a Computer-to-Computer network (Ad Hoc)? If so, I have a couple of important Qs:

1. How would the Mac mini mount on my PB? WOuld it show up as a separate drive in the Finder?

2. Could I link my FW to the Mac mini to show up as a 2nd drive besides the mini in the Finder? Could I drag and drop files to the drive?

3. Lastly, but most importantly, what transfer speeds would I achieve? If I would keep my iTunes library on the Mac mini/FW drive and wirelessly access it through my PB - how would that affect the transfer of songs to my iPod? Would it be like an USB 1.0 connection or even slower? I mean, I wouldn't want to wait 45 min to sync my iPod with a couple of hundred new songs. How about transfer gigs of files?

I would really appreciate some input on this. I know this is quite an expensive solution but am willing to fork out.

Kind regards,

Nubben

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 05:42 AM

If you are considering a mini, keep the iTunes library on it (and also backed up elsewhere or on disc, of course). Sync the iPod from the mini.

For your PB, you can keep a streamlined iTunes library on it. Get a Firewire cable and you can connect the two Macs when you need to copy stuff over from one to the other.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules