Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Tempted : iMac G5 -> PMac G5 DP

Tempted : iMac G5 -> PMac G5 DP
snaggs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2005, 08:25 AM

I have an opportunity to flog my 1.8 G5 iMac for a good price, and are thinking of upgrading to the base model powermac. Is it true that new ones are being announced October 12th?

Anyways, if there wern't any new ones.. Would it be a significant upgrade. Being able to have more than 2 gig of ram would be handy, as I often hit this (scans of chromes), and when you have photoshop, noise ninja and your raw converter software all open, with safari with 20 tabs, and a print job going, Im seeing lots of spinning balls.

Also, the Radeon 9600 would be nice for WoW So..

Buy a 2ghz DP Pmac w/Radeon 9650
or...
Buy the rumored 2.5 Ghz iMac G5 with whatever radeon it comes with

Once again, its a close comparison, and I do like the form factor of the iMac, I dont really want a big box on my desk if I dont have to...

Is it so much better to give that up? I do enjoy asthetics.

Daniel.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 11:45 AM

Wait til the 12th and see what shows up, the buzz for what is being shown is all over the place, theres various Mac upgrades including dual core G5's, iTunes Movie Store, Airport Video, iPod Video, Steve having a crap on stage.

OK I made the last one up, but still, you don't seem in that much of a hurry to upgrade, so you may as well hang around til next Wednesday and see what gets released.

BTW, where did you get the 2.5GHz iMac rumour from? I hadn't heard that one.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

RayK
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 12:09 PM

I have to say that I'm very happy with the Dual 2.0 I bought used here on MacNN. If you don't need the Power of the top of the line PowerMac or you can find a model as good as or better for less used, I'd almost say go with that. Use the extra money to get an X800 or 6800 or if something better (if it appears). I think Any dual system is gonna be a great system for you.

I'm also wondering where the new iMac rumor came from. They just updated those in March I think, so I would guess that those would stay the same. Who knows though...

Oh yeah, disclaimer: IMHO, YMMV
( Last edited by RayK; Oct 7, 2005 at 12:24 PM. )
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D Stock
3G iPod 40GB
3.4 Ghz P IV, 2GB RAM, X800 XT AIW, XP Pro, Dell 2405FPW

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 03:31 PM

The only thing I've heard of as far as an iMac upgrade goes is a memory card reader and iSight built-in.... and no one knows if that's coming out, let alone when.

Also, the last upgrade in march was about 7 months ago, so the timetables are perfect for an upgrade to the iMac.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 04:50 PM

I heard it was the 13th. But yes, wait unless you get a ridiculously good deal.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 11:33 PM

The rumor mill says we'll have new PowerMacs in a week, and I think it will be a big upgrade (DDR2, PCIe, dual core).

Buy the low-end PowerMac as soon as the new ones are released, or buy one of the previous generation for even less money (more money for RAM!).

snaggs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2005, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the replies, but will I notice a big oomph on upgrading?

Daniel.

Al G
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2005, 12:12 PM

For the kinds of uses you mentioned, I think you will indeed notice a significant performance advantage in going to dual processors.
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

Forum Links
Forum Rules