Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes music store fraud

iTunes music store fraud
asmujica
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 11:17 AM

I've bought about 120dlls worth of songs through the music store and because of an error in their system I can't listen to them in my new ibook. I've reinstalled the OS numerous times, readding the music, even authorizing a few other machines so that I could click on the deauthorize all to no avail.

Emails from apple have been stupid and nonhelpful. They do not have the slightest idea what is wrong and they are farther away from knowing how to fix it. My itunes account currently has NO computer authorized.

I keep gettin an error 5002 which reads

"We could not complete your music store request. An unknown error ocurred (5002).

There was an error in the Music store, please try again later."

This error message has been appearing for at least a month now, I have a brand new ibook (with all of its quality controll issues), with all the latest and "greatest" software running on it, I would appreciate any help on this manner since Apple has been unable to come up with an answer.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2005, 11:18 AM

So how is this fraud again?

jasong
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 11:54 AM

fraud |frôd| noun wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain : he was convicted of fraud | prosecutions for social security frauds. • a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities : mediums exposed as tricksters and frauds.

I see no fraud here. Also, while I suspect that the solution is going to have to come from Apple, have you trued authorizing another computer - Mac or PC - to see if they can connect? Maybe that will jar your iBook's memory. Also you said there are quality control issues with your iBook, what are they? Maybe they are the source of the problem?
-- Jason

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 12:05 PM

The quality control problems are mostly squeeks and a raised trackpad. It doesnt appear as solidly built as my ibook 700mhz,

As to the fraud part, any seller selling a misleading unusable product can be construed as fraud.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2005, 04:06 PM

Try to re-enter the card card data on the account again. It could also be that you're in Mexico and you need to update info in the account (I'm assuming you upgraded to iTunes 6 when the problem occurred). As far as fraud goes, you need to learn what the word means.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 05:27 PM

There is no credit card, I am purchasing the songs with prepaind cards.

The problem was not started with itunes 6, I had the same problem with itunes 5.

The problem started when transfering my songs to my brand new ibook.

And as for the definition of fraud

fraud

Intentionally deceiving another person and causing her to suffer a loss. Fraud includes lies and half-truths, such as selling a lemon and claiming "she runs like a dream." .
Apple is misrepresenting the ability to play music purchased through their itunes store on your personal computer, and ignoring all requests of a solution placed through its itunes costumer service, benefiting fully from already purchased songs and damaging my interests as a consumer with bogus purchases.

jasong
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 10:32 PM

Do you want to keep arguing about words you obviously don't understand, or fix the problem? Have you tried authorizing a different computer and seeing if it work?

Arg, I can't resist. I can play my music bought through the iTunes store, as can a couple of hundred thousand others. Apple is not guilty of fraud, what you are experiencing is a bug, not fraud.
-- Jason

mchladek
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 11:29 PM

I had a similar situation when I transferred my songs from my iMac to my iBook. It was something to do with the authorization/deauthorization, but it was over a year ago so I don't remember exactly. Sorry

It sounds like you've just been emailing Apple, right? I would say tinker with it a bit more. If you still can't get it, call Apple and raise hell if they don't help you out. I've heard of other people who had problems with their downloaded songs, and Apple let them re-download them.

Good luck!

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by jasong
Do you want to keep arguing about words you obviously don't understand, or fix the problem? Have you tried authorizing a different computer and seeing if it work?

Arg, I can't resist. I can play my music bought through the iTunes store, as can a couple of hundred thousand others. Apple is not guilty of fraud, what you are experiencing is a bug, not fraud.
constructive fraud
n. when the circumstances show that someone's actions give him/her an unfair advantage over another by unfair means (lying or not telling a buyer about defects in a product, for example), the court may decide from the methods used and the result that it should treat the situation as if there was actual fraud even if all the technical elements of fraud have not been proven.

constructive fraud
: conduct that is considered fraud under the law despite the absence of an intent to deceive because it has the same consequences as an actual fraud would have and it is against public interests (as because of the violation of a public or private trust or confidence, the breach of a fiduciary duty, or the use of undue influence)
I really do not have time to try to help you understand the misrepresentations apple has incurred by having what I would clasify as an undeliverable product, so I hope what I posted is of some use to you....

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by mchladek
I had a similar situation when I transferred my songs from my iMac to my iBook. It was something to do with the authorization/deauthorization, but it was over a year ago so I don't remember exactly. Sorry

It sounds like you've just been emailing Apple, right? I would say tinker with it a bit more. If you still can't get it, call Apple and raise hell if they don't help you out. I've heard of other people who had problems with their downloaded songs, and Apple let them re-download them.

Good luck!

Thanks, I´ve been in somewhat constant contact with apple support, I say somewhat because 72 hours between each reply is a bit complicated for solving a problem.

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 11:50 PM

Here is the latest reply from apple.... Even though I´ve gotten multiple replies from apple on this subjet asking diverse questions now they want to charge me to fix a problem inherent to their system.

Dear ____________,

Thank you for contacting the iTunes Music Store.

The iTunes Music Store team answers non-technical questions about billing, customer accounts, downloading music, and iTunes Music Store content.

Many questions about your iTunes software can be answered by choosing “iTunes and Music Store Help” from the Help menu.

For online information, visit iTunes Support at
<http://www.apple.com/support/itunes>.

To access the discussion boards for iTunes and other Apple services, please visit
<http://discussions.info.apple.com>.

For support for your iPod, please visit:
<http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/>

If you require assistance beyond the complimentary support available online, please call AppleCare technical support at 800-APL-CARE (800-275-2273). Help is available seven days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. central time. There may be a fee associated with the call.

Sincerely,

iTunes Music Store Support

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2005, 12:09 AM

If the problem was inherent to the system, others would be having problems. But it sounds more like you want to complain than seek help in solving YOUR problem.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2005, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by asmujica
Here is the latest reply from apple.... Even though I´ve gotten multiple replies from apple on this subjet asking diverse questions now they want to charge me to fix a problem inherent to their system.
dude they are asking you to call them i dont know why you are so opposed to it. but that seems to be the problem. you need to talk to a live person and you dont want to.

and you are being a baby, it says there MAY be. and i this case there simply will not be a charge. but i bet you havent called to find out if they WILL or WILL NOT charge you, have you?

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 12:35 AM

I´ve been trying everything in my power to try to solve this.

And you are right, I do not want to call them since even though its an 800 number I would get charged for a long distance phone call since the call is going to be originating from Mexico.

Recent apple experiences have trully disapointed me, like the crappy quality control of my just purchased ibook that I bought in the Apple store in San Diego and now to add insult to injury my beloved songs are not playable on the darn thing.

I´ve reinstalled the whole os 2 times now, adding the songs before and after installing updates and no dice.

From what I´ve gotten replies to it appears as though 5002 error is a server error.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 12:53 AM

Well, here are the Apple Support telephone numbers for Mexico:

(Outside Mexico City) 01-800-277-5322
(Mexico City) (52) 55 5209-1280

I'm not familiar with Mexican phone numbers so I don't know if they're toll free, but maybe they'd be cheaper than calling a US toll free number.

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 12:56 AM

Thanks for the phone numbers in Mexico, but the problem is that the iTunes music store is not yet available here, so support people won't have the slightest idea what I am talking about.

I purchase my music using prepaid cards that I purchase either at apple or target stores. I think I will need to contact apple US to see what the fus is all about with my itunes account.

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2005, 01:23 AM

At what point, exactly, did Apple give you the impression that the iTunes music store would work in an officially UNSUPPORTED COUNTRY?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 01:39 AM

If you buy music with playback/copy prevention, this is what happens. Eventually. Consider it a rental that has expired.

Also consider trying out Hymn (http://www.hymn-project.org/) to remove the encryption on your music. You might be able to salvage it without relying on Apple's tech support.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2005, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by anti-sleep
At what point, exactly, did Apple give you the impression that the iTunes music store would work in an officially UNSUPPORTED COUNTRY?
I d/l music from the US iTMS from lots of countries. As long as your account is valid, it doesn't matter where you are physically to use the store.

Again, I'd suggest updating your particulars even if you're not using a credit/debit card.

jasong
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by anti-sleep
Sounds like someone is committing fraud
-- Jason

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jasong
Sounds like someone is committing fraud
Chupame un cojon

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 10:09 AM

"suck on my one testicle"?

my word.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the phone numbers in Mexico, but the problem is that the iTunes music store is not yet available here, so support people won't have the slightest idea what I am talking about.

I purchase my music using prepaid cards that I purchase either at apple or target stores. I think I will need to contact apple US to see what the fus is all about with my itunes account.
asmujica, you're making too many assumptions here. Just call Apple Support in Mexico. If they can't help you, I'm almost certain they could transfer you to the US Apple Support, which wouldn't cost you anything.

Or use CaptainHaddock suggestion. This is why whenever I buy music from iTMS, I always make an audio CD of the songs. If the protected files get screwed up, all I have to do is rip the CD.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2005, 10:44 AM

Perhaps the OP gave us more info on the account, we could be more help. But then again, he seems a little intent on insulting and bitching.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 11:23 AM

I'd be interested to hear if he gets the same error when simply clicking on the Music Store source in the iTunes source list...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2005, 11:29 AM

If your IP is outside the US, you get a message saying that the iTMS can only be used to buy from that country blah, blah, blah.

I'm assuming that even with a pre-paid card, you have to enter in details on the account.

A couple of times, I've bought something from the Apple Store when in Singapore. I have to change the zip code (6 digits vs 5 in the US) to buy something online. Then I have to change it back to the correct zip code when using the iTMS.

I was thinking the OP might be in a similar situation but without more details ...

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 11:45 AM

I can log in to the music store just fine, I can even purchase new music, but I can not listen to it.

I tried changing my account preferences and info and it didn't work.

I just downloaded a free song off of itunes and I can't even play that.

If I intentionally mistype my password it tells me the password is wrong, but later typing the password correctly still gives me error 5002.

And being outside the US has not been a problem, as stated above, I've got 120dlls worth of music already without a hitch. In fact, my father and sister each have their own accounts set up like this and can still listen and purchase new music.

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 11:47 AM

The account has a real US address that is mine, using purely prepaid music cards.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2005, 11:52 AM

Trash your iTunes plist? May not do anything. Also, have you tried authorizing a different computer and seeing what happens on it?

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 12:28 PM

I've trashed the plist, deleted a hidden folder in the shared directory and nothing happens.

Added my music on another computer and it worked flawlesly.

This ibook is a brand new computer, the only thing added is the ram, which if that is causing the problem it is ridiculous.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 02:56 PM

erase and install.

100% guaranteed to work.

<edit helpful now>

Try it from a new user, see if the problem persists.

Else, erase and install.

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 03:04 PM

I reinstalled the OS 2 times, but have not tried just uninstalling itunes.

I want to try to see if 6.0.1 fixes the problem.....

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2005, 04:19 PM

How many computers have you used your Apple account on?

You said this was a new computer. Did you de-authorize the old computer?

Keep in mind, if you put a song on another system, it will authorize that as one of your 5 computers that you can play music on. Any system you don't intend to listen to music on should be de-authorize.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 06:02 PM

I deauthorized all the computers, in fact, the account has 0 computers authorized at the moment.

Installed latest update, things remain the same.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 06:32 PM

Might have to do with your network/connection settings.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 20, 2005, 06:49 PM

If you have zero authorized computers, I think you won't be able to do anything. Try authorizing one and see what happens.

And do call support-they should be able to help you. And one of the things that runs Apple's prices up is their support, so we're all paying for it anyway...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

poocat
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 07:10 PM

Seriously man, this is an awful problem to have, just call them. I agree with you though (being in China) that the Apple people there may not be able to help you. But call them up and see, because they will help you contact the right people in America if that becomes necessary, saving you some headaches.

Keep posting, let us know.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 07:14 PM

~/Music/Downloads/

Move to trash and relaunch iTunes and see if it helps.

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 08:15 PM

king bob on the cob I could see no such folder.... even with invisible items turned on.

I called the support number, they said there is nothing they can do over the phone with itunes music store purchases, that I must continue emailing them.....

30 minutes wasted on their phone service.

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 09:16 PM

Reinstalled itunes, ran hardware diagnostics, removed ram chip, ran hardware diagnostics, added ram chip, repaired keychain, repaired permisions, deleted itunes preference files, etc.

What is wrong with this thing?

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2005, 11:42 PM

Reinstalled itunes, ran hardware diagnostics, removed ram chip, ran hardware diagnostics, added ram chip, repaired keychain, repaired permisions, deleted itunes preference files, etc.

What is wrong with this thing?

Try this:

Put all the tunes into the Users/shared folder. Go to System Prefs and open Accounts. Make a new account. Log out and log into the new account.

Launch iTunes and then open Users/Shared folder and drag the tunes into iTunes. See if they will play in the new users account.

Let us know what happens.

Deal

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Deal
Try this:

Put all the tunes into the Users/shared folder. Go to System Prefs and open Accounts. Make a new account. Log out and log into the new account.

Launch iTunes and then open Users/Shared folder and drag the tunes into iTunes. See if they will play in the new users account.

Let us know what happens.

Deal

Nope, didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though...

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2005, 01:21 AM

How about: enter this (blue) command in Terminal,
and then post back the response (it's just a listing).

ls -halo /Users/Shared/SC\ Info

?
-HI-

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 09:41 AM

hared/SC\ Info
total 8
drwxrwxrwx 3 asanchez wheel - 102B Oct 20 10:58 .
drwxrwxrwt 7 root wheel - 238B Oct 21 00:01 ..
-rw-rw-rw- 1 asanchez wheel - 52B Oct 20 10:58 SC Info.sidb

bemayo
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 12:32 PM

Based on the info above, I would assume that the problem is that the computer is trying to authorize against your account and is failing for some reason. Hence, installing and reinstalling isn't likely to help. I had a similar problem a while back trying to authorize my iBook. Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly what I did to correct it, but I think it had something to do with my account, and that the ultimate solution involved re-entering logon information. I am thinking that I may have changed my account password, even. I would imagine that it is also possible that you are having the problem authorizing because it can't make connection over some necessary port. Do you have hardware or software firewalling that might block certain ports? I guess it could also be that Apple is identifying your source address as out of the US and declining based on that, but other info you supplied would lead me to think this isn't the case.

I would suggest that you try removing any entries from the Keychain associated with your account and/or iTunes, change/reset the password, and re-enter that information from scratch. Hope this is of some help.

Bill
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87
IIgs | IIsi | Performa 630/6300 | G3/266 | G4/533x2 | G5/2Gx2 | MacBook 1.83

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 01:55 PM

I reset the password, changed it, changed my account info, tried connecting in the US and it didn't help. What bugs me is that I can authorize another computer to play them but I can't use them on my computer.

jasong
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 02:00 PM

Sorry to hear about the one testicle dude, that sucks.

Anyway, this other computer that can authorize, is it doing so on the same internet connection as your iBook? If not, could there be some kind of firewall or proxy on your end that is causing authentication errors? I'm not clear on how iTunes manages authentication, but maybe deauthorize the working computer and run Little Snitch while you authorize it, and then run Little Snitch on your iBook while you try to authorize. Maybe you can see something not go through.
-- Jason

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2005, 05:32 PM

drwxrwxrwx 3 asanchez wheel - 102B Oct 20 10:58 .
drwxrwxrwt 7 root wheel - 238B Oct 21 00:01 ..
-rw-rw-rw- 1 asanchez wheel - 52B Oct 20 10:58 SC Info.sidb
I'm far from being any expert in this, but my SC Info.sidb file is 240 bytes (yours there is only 52).
Maybe look at the same file on your other Macs that work, and see if they're significantly different.

I dunno. I was expecting to see those permissions screwed-up somehow, but they look okay to me
(assuming "asanchez" is your correct shortname).
-HI-

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 05:46 PM

Hal Itosis I would imagine it has to do something with the fact that this machine has very little applications installed, but I am no expert on it either.

I've tried connecting to itunes with the firewall on and off.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2005, 06:02 PM

Here's another long shot.

Go into your applications/utilities/ and open Directory Access. Turn off all checked items and hit apply. Then turn the ones you want back on and hit apply.

Also go into System Preferences and open Sharing. Then click on FireWall and select advanced. Deselect these items.

Another possible issue is Symantic AntiVirus ver 9. That has caused some bad problems with the networking on Tiger. Get version 10 or uninstall.

I'm just trying to think of anything that would be stopping this from happening.

Duane

Forum Links
Forum Rules