Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > So no wired remote for iPods anymore :-(

So no wired remote for iPods anymore :-(
timmerk
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 05:03 AM

A shame for sure.. but you could always have headphones with a remote that could connect via dock connector.

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 05:05 AM

I noticed people talked about this no remote issue within other topics. Sorry.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2005, 07:04 PM

The original iPod remote should still work.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2005, 07:32 PM

No it won't. The original iPod had a "ring" around the headphone jack that conveyed the signals from the remote. Unless I'm very much mistaken, the new iPod has no such thing. And of course the later remotes require a remote jack, so they won't work either.

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 07:42 PM

I never used mine anyway - did you guys really use it? I thought it made the cord too long.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2005, 07:48 PM

It did make the cord too long, because of Apple's decision to only make full-length cords for the iPod. MiniDisc players and other devices that come with in-line remotes usually use earphones with short cords, so the remote will hang at chest level. That said, you can buy special short earphones made for use with in-line remotes (I have some) and they make the remote very useful indeed.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 08:02 PM

I use the remote on my 3G iPod. I usually put the iPod in my pocket, coil up the remote cord and stuff it into the pocket, and clip the remote to the top of the pocket. that way there's not any excess cord hanging in front of me. Not the most elegant solution, but it works pretty well.

"I start fires!"

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 09:18 PM

Thank god, it sucked and the cable was to damn long.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2005, 09:35 PM

Why are some people incapable of understanding that others may have different needs than their own? "Thank god?" The remote's very existence offended you somehow?

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Why are some people incapable of understanding that others may have different needs than their own? "Thank god?" The remote's very existence offended you somehow?
Ya considering it was included in my iPod package when I bought it. It was a piss poor remote in every way, either fix it or lose it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2005, 11:49 PM

It wasn't the greatest remote in the world, and Apple's handling of it visa-vie the cord length was pretty half-assed. But there are all sorts of situations where it is convenient to be able to pause, skip tracks, and adjust the volume without taking the iPod out of your pocket or bag. In other words, it's a damn sight better than nothing.

Zim
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 08:41 AM

alas, this is the hallmark of the stereotypical iPod owner, and frankly of the design team's philosophy.

"Think different" is long gone and dead... and as a 20(?) year Apple owner, I for one dearly miss it.

Mike

PS. to stay on topic, I find the remote for my 3G very useful when I'm riding on my bike... iPod goes in camelpack (well protected), and remote clips to the front of my jersey.

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 12:51 PM

To slightly divert the topic, it now looks like any in-line remotes for any iPod generation are going the way of the dodo. If I want to pick one up for my iPod photo, should I get the Apple one, or are there any better 3rd party ones?

Thanks,

David

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 03:12 PM

I only know of one third party remote, but there are probably more. I bought one of these a while ago. It's very cheap feeling (very light and the buttons are kind of crappy) but it works. And the lightness of it may actually be an advantage, since it the weight of the remote doesn't pull on the cord as much. It has a plastic clip on the back instead of the Apple "squeeze" kind, which I actually prefer, since it's easier to attach to your clothes. Anyway, you can get 2.5 of these for the cost of one Apple remote, so I guess you can't expect it to feel quite as nice. As long as your hopes aren't too high, it's a decent alternative.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 04:21 PM

I actually liked the remote. I had the SP style inner ear headphones from sony so the cord was really short. The apple remote plus those were a great length.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 10:17 PM

The iFM might be a possible remote alternative for the new iPods. It is an FM radio tuner, but also acts as a remote control that plugs into the dock connector. Apparently you have two wires coming out of the bottom of the remote. One is the headphone jack and one connects to the iPod. I'm not sure why they couldn't have integrated the headphone jack into the remote itself.

( Last edited by icruise; Oct 20, 2005 at 10:24 PM. )

mathew_m
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 10:52 PM

Remember you're talking about the Star Wars dude. His relevance resides solely in the MacNN forums.

Regarding the remote, they probably cut it out of the package for the same reasons that they left out the charger because it costs money. Apple wants to keep the price points the same and remain profitable.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Remember you're talking about the Star Wars dude. His relevance resides solely in the MacNN forums.

Regarding the remote, they probably cut it out of the package for the same reasons that they left out the charger because it costs money. Apple wants to keep the price points the same and remain profitable.
I don't care if it's in the package or not. But they removed the remote control functionality completely. That's the issue here.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 11:17 PM

Although I never really used the remote that much, I think they should have kept it. At least they should have kept the connector and made the remote an option.
Apparently, Apple thought they weren't selling very well (since its been a while, IIRC, since Apple included one with any iPod).

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Cuz it cuts costs? Wow you figured that one out all on your own?

That really doesn't explain why the took the port out or why they stopped selling it separately.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

songoku912
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 01:57 AM

Icruise, thank you for posting that alternative and wish I had saw that a few months ago. Although I now have the logitech wi-fi headphones, I will definitely recommend this remote to my friends who have 3 and 4g iPods but don't want to pay $40 for apples solution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules