Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Keyboard and Sleep Problems

Keyboard and Sleep Problems
dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2005, 11:47 PM

Hi:

I have a PB 15'' 1.67Ghz with 1.5Mo of RAM and I have the following problems

For a few weeks, I have noticed that my keyboard was not lighting up anymore in dark condition. Then early, this week, I have noticed that the light to indicate that the PB is sleepling is lighted in the same way to indicate that the computer sleeps but at a time I am using the computer. Very weird.

Then I was very bothered by the fact the keyboard would not light up. So I search through Mac Help and it says that I need to go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and mouse -> Keybard and then select the checkbox labeled "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions."

The problem is that the box is not here, I do not see anywhere the illuminate keyboard in low light conditions.

I think, the two problems are linked together. Is it because I have installed 10.4.2? is it a known bug? does the problem come from something else? I could swear it was working under 10.4.1 and earlier.

Thanks for your help.

Dopik
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

ibook_steve
Oct 22, 2005, 06:47 PM

Reset PRAM, reset PMU, the usual things to try for weird things like this. If those don't work, which they should, you could have deeper problems.

Steve

dopik  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2005, 02:26 AM

Steve:

Thanks for the suggestions but it did not solve my problems. After the PRAM and PMU reset, I run the Apple Hardware Test and it did pass it.

Do you have any idea of what I should try now.

Thanks

dopik

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 09:42 PM

Hi dopik. I'm having similar issues with my PB--same configuration as yours. I went to the Apple Store in Pittsburgh and the Mac Genius there suggested the PRAM and PMU reset after the 'book passed the Apple Hardware test. Things seemed to work well for a bit, but a week or so later, the PB is going to sleep for no reason. I'm going to have to send it in to Apple, I'm afraid.

The issue for me is that this is actually a replacement of a replacement of a replacement of a replacement (yes--four replacements). I started with a 1.5 ghz. machine that gave me so many problems within six months that they replaced it with the new (at the time) 1.67 ghz machine. I had that replaced twice for various issues--all relevant so I won't bore you with the details. Just trust me when I say that the replacements were ordered without me so much as raising a single issue, lol.

What I can say is this: I've been with Apple for so long and they have always been good to me. These problems with my PB over the past year and a half are unusual, obviously, but they do indeed take care of me. Take your machine to an Apple Store, or call AppleCare and explain the problem.

Good luck.

dopik  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2005, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the advice... The problem is that i cannot work without my PB. Do you know how much time the PB will be in Apple good hands???

Thanks.

Donald

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 05:11 AM

Hi Donald. In the past, the turn around from Apple has been pretty quick--just a few days in some cases. If your issue involves the powersource inside the PB, or the logic board needs to be replaced, let's say, two days would probably do it.

Again, I suggest either speaking to a Mac Genius or calling AppleCare, directly. Explain your circumstances and perhaps they can expidite your issue.

dopik  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2005, 10:15 AM

Thanks for everything. I will go there tomorrow and I will let you posted...

Donald

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 12:36 PM

It is a hardware problem - the usual resets will not help. I had exactly the same thing happen with my 15'' RevD 1.5Ghz PB. After the PB was back from repair, the repair slip said that "ALS ASSY" (which, I believe, stands for Ambient Light Sensor Assembly) was replaced. It has been a few months since the repair and the PB works well so far!
Hope that helps

Forum Links
Forum Rules