Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook New vs. 1 Gigger Impressions

PowerBook New vs. 1 Gigger Impressions
elfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 01:11 PM

Where I am coming from:
1Gig 17" PB, 1Gig RAM, 60 Gig HDD 5,400rpm, 1x DVD-R, Battery lasts about 90 minutes these days. Tiger.

SO, I held off for like 2 years, waiting for the elusive G5 PowerBook. We know that this ain't happening, so I ordered a new (and presumably last PPC) PowerBook.

It arrived yesterday from Shanghai.
Where I am at now:
1.67Gig 17" PB, 1 Gig (faster) RAM, 100 Gig HDD 7,200rpm, 8x DVD-RW, Tiger. Battery lasted 3 hours with normal use

So, comparing the specs of a admittetly tired PowerBook (fan was on CONSTANTLY), hard-disk thrashing like there is no tomorrow, I have done well. DESPITE everyone complaining about the new powerbook. I am THRILLED. It is a huge improvement in performance, resolution, quietness, and overall quality. The fan hasn't come on yet, even under heavly load.
I LOVE the new resolution, I always felt that the old res was showing the GUI a little too large for my taste. Now, I think they have found the perfect balance between size and readability.

I feel I made an excellent choice; This PowerBook will certainly last me deep into the MacTel's release cycle, and will give me performance that I can live with.

I am pleased that I am also now able to play some games, such as UT 2004 and Enemy Territory without having to crank down the display settings.

MAJOR disappointment: This is the year of HD, right? Well, viewing a HD (720p) clip from Apple's HD website is not enjoyable. The clip is choppy and not satisfying. THAT's definitely NOT good.

Overall, I am pleased. If you are in the market for a new PowerBook, then consider where you are coming from (e.g. how many revs back). I waited a long time, and it paid off well!

elfer

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 02:22 PM

Thanks. As I posted in another thread, any comparisons of 1GHz titanium or aluminum to 1.67 are welcome indeed.

A little tip on the movie thing -- it looks to me like a lot of the clips are simply upsized from 440 (?) to 720. So just download the small one and play it full screen -- it will look just as good as the bigger format, and it will actually play smoothly without dropping frames.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2005, 05:10 PM

i have a 1GHz machine too...and although i really wanna upgrade, there was nothing new added to the 12" model, so i'll stick with my book for just a lil longer.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2005, 06:25 PM

And the big question, which 7200rpm Hard Drive is in your beautiful new Powerbook, Hitachi or Seagate? Enjoy it!

elfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by striker100
And the big question, which 7200rpm Hard Drive is in your beautiful new Powerbook, Hitachi or Seagate? Enjoy it!

hm...good question! Its model number is ST910021A. Does that mean Seagate?

elfer

thephotodork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by elfer
hm...good question! Its model number is ST910021A. Does that mean Seagate?

elfer
yeah, thats the seagate momentus drive. same as in mine, although i have heard a bunch of people got the hitachi. i'm sure glad i got the seagate, from reading some reviews, it seems to be the better of the two options.
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.0GHz ComboDrive; Mac OS X (10.4.5); 100GB 5400-RPM
(Dreaming of a 2.0GHz Orp KoobCam)

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 08:43 PM

This is good to know. I have the same old PowerBook you have and I'm waiting for the same replacement you received (the order is snaking its way through the bureaucracy at the moment ). Hopefully, I'll be enjoying it soon.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

Forum Links
Forum Rules