Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Petition for Apple to include Firewire support in next iPod video revision

Petition for Apple to include Firewire support in next iPod video revision (Page 2)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2005, 03:42 PM

You're a really pleasant person, Inkhead.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Anyone who has USB 1 shouldn't be dropping $400 on a new ipod PERIOD.
A Nano costs only $200.

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 29, 2005, 05:54 PM

Inkhead appears to love trolling the iPod forums looking to blast loyal veteran Mac users with OUTDATED PIECES OF CRAP.

He's posted the same message a dozen times already Why even bother reading posts about the lack of FW when it gets under the skin?

This reminds me of folks who got so riled up about Howard Stern. Some people were so offended, they were glued to the radio station listening to what Howard Stern had to say next. They had the option of changing the radio station, but like a moth to the flame, they still listened.

nobodoy cares, get a life. so the test you did on your computers, came out 20 seconds longer. Oh that's horrible my god, if only you'd have those 20 seconds of your life back. Maybe if you had the 5 minutes of your life back you took to post you could use it for something productive...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2005, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hairllama
I agree that Firewire is faster, but I have a consipiracy theory about no Firewire. I recently read (rumor) that Apple was not going to include Firewire booting on the Intel Macs. Could it be that part of the Intel deal is to drop Firewire from future Macs? That would explain the ipod's non support of Firewire.
Dropping FW booting and adding USB booting wouldn't suprise me. Many Intel-based PCs already support USB booting, but not FW. But Apple will keep FW ports for video.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2005, 01:36 AM

nobodoy cares, get a life. so the test you did on your computers, came out 20 seconds longer. Oh that's horrible my god, if only you'd have those 20 seconds of your life back. Maybe if you had the 5 minutes of your life back you took to post you could use it for something productive...
He was replying to a guy who was claiming FireWire is way slower on the iPods than USB 2.0. He posted information to contract that.

Reading comprehension: 1. Inkhead: 0.

Anyone who has USB 1 shouldn't be dropping $400 on a new ipod PERIOD. If you have only usb 1 your computer is an OUTDATED PIECE OF CRAP (not directly to this poster but to everyone) REGARDLESS OF WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT, "but it's only 2 years old!" stop your whining. Use your damn old ipod, and either buy a new computer or shut the f*ck up. I'm tired of progress and innovation being HALTED by legacy support for everything. YOU THINK apple didn't think about dropping firewire for MONTHS before they did it? EVER LITTLE DETAIL WAS THOUGHT THROUGH AND TESTED.
A 2-year old PowerBook is an outdated piece of crap? Have you looked at the PowerBook line lately? It's stagnated so badly that the latest models are barely better than those 2-year old USB 1.1 ones. The processor is marginally faster, the hard disk is marginally larger. Woo hoo.

Just because you can afford to buy a new computer every year doesn't mean everyone can, especially when the new computers are such a minor improvement.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
By the way, I know that the writing is on the wall with regard to firewire on the iPods. But I think Apple jumped the gun by going to USB2 only when their own computers sold as little as 2 years ago have no USB 2 and no way to add it.

Anway, there are reasons to choose USB2 over firewire, but speed really isn't one of them, as I hope I have shown.
I agree - that's my main complaint about all this. I supported Apple 2 years ago by buying a Mac (instead of a Windows machine) (and yes - my motive was self-serving in that I got a Mac instead of Windows) - even though they had dragged behind the competition in not offering USB 2.0. The argument at the time was 'Well, FireWire is standard, and it's not on PCs'. This may be sound business now, but it's (for lack of a better word) 'inconsiderate' to a substantial group of customers, and sets a disturbing precedent.

Now I'm stuck until it's time for a replacement machine - and that ain't happening for at least 2 more years. No new Macs for me until a Rev. B Intel machine. If they're doing this now with Firewire - think they won't stop supporting PowerPC too quickly once the Intel transition is complete? Into 2007, I think we'll see Intel-only features in new Apple software faster than you can say 'Universal Binary'.

Back to the iPod - ignoring the limitations in my current iMac, I really don't care what transfer protocol they use as long as it syncs well and is reliable and usable. IMHO, FireWire and USB 2.0 fall into that category. USB1.1 doesn't.

As for the petition - the only thing that would prompt Apple to reinstate FireWire is if people weren't buying iPods because it's missing. I won't buy one - but certainly plenty of people will, so in my mind a petition is pointless.

Don't cry for me though - I'm perfectly happy with my 4G color 40GB.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2005, 06:39 PM

Eh, I'm totally with you guys, I wish the new iPods had Firewire capability. I have a shuffle and it seemed to take forever to fill it, that was until I realized that it was automatically downconverting high bitrate songs to 128 AAC on the fly. It's now much quicker to fill up (not fast mind you but tolerable) over USB 1.1 on my "last o' the non USB 2.0 iMacs" 17" 1ghz lampshade. I was so annoyed by the lack of firewire and freaked out that when/if the time for me to buy a full size ipod came I'd not be able to find any 3g or 4g ones, I bought a refurb 3g ipod over the weekend from the Apple store online but ultimately decided that I couldn't justify spending the money right now. In the end, now I realize that it's really only the initial fillup that will take really really long, and in reality it would probably take a while over firewire (charging may take a while too I suppose). It's one of those things that sure I'm mad about but I'll grudgingly accept.
Regards,
Dave

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
And USB devices can cause a kernel panic just by being plugged in.
You keep saying that.

What devices are you having problems with?

because the only USB-related kernel panics I've EVER had were a driver/Core Audio issue with my USB audio interface back in OS X 10.1 (four years ago), and then again when Tascam hadn't yet updated their driver for Panther (over two years ago).

What are you talking about, and if it's a badly written/outdated driver for a specialty device, how is this Apple's fault or problem?

Crap third-party drivers can panic your system. Oh my god.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2005, 09:12 PM

And Firewire devices can cause your Mac to freeze just by being plugged in.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2005, 11:06 PM

In my experience USB sucks so much it is sad. I have USB 2. Plugging in USB devices can cause kernel panic, something that never happens with FW. USB doesn't have the electrical power of FW. All in all it is the inferior option. The more USB devices you hook up the slower the whole enchilada becomes etc.

Originally posted by mduell
Yea, beacuase Apple has never had a problem with 3 of their own Firewire devices not working together.

Originally posted by Weyland-Yutani

Originally posted by mduell
And Firewire devices can cause your Mac to freeze just by being plugged in.
Quoting the identical knowledge base article twice in a row really served to prove your point there. Well done.

Seriously though, you're both just arguing in circles.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2005, 01:47 AM

Quoting the identical knowledge base article twice in a row really served to prove your point there. Well done.

Seriously though, you're both just arguing in circles.
Mea maxima culpa! I've posted that link in a number of threads here and I forgot I had already mentioned it in this one.
( Last edited by mduell; Oct 31, 2005 at 11:56 AM. )

badnewsblair
Senior User
Oct 31, 2005, 12:00 PM

I have a 17-inch Powerbook 1.0 GHz and unfortunately it only has USB 1.1, but that didn't stop me from going out and picking up a new iPod 5th Gen. Sure, the first update or around 2,500 songs took a long time. I won't lie. But now that I have synched my music, adding the additional album or two plus a video here and there is no big deal. I would have loved Firewire, but I can just use my old Firewire cord and wall adapter that I got with my 10GB iPod 3rd Gen. at work to charge my new iPod (only, my new iPod stays charged for a few days now... even listening to music at work for 6+ hours).
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2005, 01:11 PM

If you have a 17" powerbook, why not buy a USB 2 PC card?

badnewsblair
Senior User
Oct 31, 2005, 01:14 PM

It's an option, but like I said now that I have all my music on there it isn't that bad at all to ad an album or two and a video. I don't think it would be worth the $30+ for a pc card. Also, If I wanted it that badly, I could just target disk and run my system through a mini in the family that has USB 2.0 and that would solve my problem and spare me some cash for a nice case or whatever.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

badnewsblair
Senior User
Oct 31, 2005, 01:15 PM

It's an option, but like I said now that I have all my music on there it isn't that bad at all to ad an album or two and a video. I don't think it would be worth the $30+ for a pc card. Also, If I wanted it that badly, I could just target disk and run my system through a mini in the family that has USB 2.0 and that would solve my problem and spare me some cash for a nice case or whatever.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by badnewsblair
$14 Mac compatible USB2 PCMCIA card

Forum Links
Forum Rules