Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm going used car shopping. Help!!111

I'm going used car shopping. Help!!111 (Page 2)
rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
There's no justifiable excuse to use credit, and there's no compelling reason to be concerned with your 'credit score'. You can make it through life just fine without borrowing money. Most people have been brainwashed into believing it's OK to borrow money for homes, cars, and even education. It isn't.
Well, what about the simple idea of using borrowed money to make money? ie: Real Estate. You need a good credit score to get good rates on loans, so you can buy those $1mil lots and sell them after they appreciate.
They're selling debt, folks. And, oddly enough, there are people willing to buy it. I'm not one of them.
OK, but not all debt is bad. (If you know how to manage it properly.)

Sure you don't NEED a credit score. You can be content by living debt-free and living off your hourly/salaried wage. You need credit/loans to expand, to make big financial buys that you can't come up with on your own.

The 'magic number' on credit is 800. Once you pass that mark, banks will let you buy anything with a good rate. Think of it as your eBay score - it lets banks know that you're reliable enough to pay them back.

Lateralus - go get a credit card and pay it off every month. Don't buy anything you can't afford, but put your gas/groceries on there. Banks need to see that you can make all your payments on time so you can grow your score.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
Useless here, our Merchant machines dont accept Check Cards, and treat Visa Debit as a Visa Credit Card only. Besides isnt a Visa Debit a credit card/debit card anyways?
Not to mention cell phone service.

macroy
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 07:04 PM

I don't agree when someone throws out a blanket statement that credit cards/loans are bad Period. Yea, you need to have discipline and good management to make sure you don't end up over your head. But that doesn't mean everyone will go into debt using it. There are plenty of folks that use it to take advantage of their equity, or defer payments (even though they have the money) so that money may be used for other investments that may offer higher returns.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2005, 03:31 AM

No, it's simply a way to pay cash out of your checking account using a widely accepted debit card. I've never had any problem using it - and I use it everywhere. If a merchant ever declines my debit card, then I'll do business elsewhere.

There's no justifiable excuse to use credit, and there's no compelling reason to be concerned with your 'credit score'. You can make it through life just fine without borrowing money. Most people have been brainwashed into believing it's OK to borrow money for homes, cars, and even education. It isn't.

They're selling debt, folks. And, oddly enough, there are people willing to buy it. I'm not one of them.

Apparently, there are people who feel ashamed of being in debt...the ones who keep trying to tell me I'm wrong in order to feel better about their situation. I'm not wrong. How can being debt-free be worse than being in debt? Hell, I don't care if my credit score is zero. If it was, it would be the best thing that could happen to me.
Let me repeat, Useless here in (Canada)
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Railroader
Banned
Oct 31, 2005, 04:00 AM

Let me repeat, Useless here in (Canada)
Must be a Vancouver thing. I have no problem booking hotels and making purchases in Motreal, Toronto, Windsor, or London with my Visa Debit card. It is accepted as a Visa Charge everytime.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2005, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Must be a Vancouver thing. I have no problem booking hotels and making purchases in Motreal, Toronto, Windsor, or London with my Visa Debit card. It is accepted as a Visa Charge everytime.
Like I said its used as a Visa card up here. I just read up on how a Visa Debit Card works, I understand now it just a Debit Card that acts like a Credit Card, its same principle as a Secured Credit Card. Except does a Debit Visa Card actually build up credit since its really a Debit Card that pretends to be a Credit Card?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 31, 2005, 06:54 AM

Like I said its used as a Visa card up here. I just read up on how a Visa Debit Card works, I understand now it just a Debit Card that acts like a Credit Card, its same principle as a Secured Credit Card. Except does a Debit Visa Card actually build up credit since its really a Debit Card that pretends to be a Credit Card?
You said that a person needed credit.

He said a person doesn't need credit.

You said a person needs a credit card to get a hotel room.

He said a person could use a Visa Bank Card.

You said they are useless "here".

Now do you follow?

You don't need credit.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2005, 07:10 AM

again does Visa Debit build up a credit rating, since its just using money from your bank account I cant see that it does. And that dosent help for Cell Phones, Houses, Cars, Loans, and so on...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2005, 08:03 AM

My cell phone is paid via automatic withdrawal.
My house is paid for, but I didn't need a credit score when I was paying for it due to my income.
I pay cash for cars so I don't get screwed with endless payments with crappy interest.
I don't borrow money -- no need to when you can pay cash.

It's all about saving and waiting and saving.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
My house is paid for, but I didn't need a credit score when I was paying for it due to my income.
I pay cash for cars so I don't get screwed with endless payments with crappy interest.

I have a 300.00 deposit on my cell phone account because of bad credit
I have a 200.00 Deposit on my Internet/Cable because of bad credit
I have a 500.00 Deposit on my Insurance
I cant get a No fee account at Coast Capital Bank because you have to have good credit

So $1000.00 out of my pocket which I would have in my pocket if I had good credit, cant get International Calling, wasting money at a normal bank when ppl with good credit can get a no fee account. And it would be nice to have that 3 cent per L discount at Husky with a Husky CC

Railroader
Banned
Oct 31, 2005, 08:43 AM

again does Visa Debit build up a credit rating, since its just using money from your bank account I cant see that it does. And that dosent help for Cell Phones, Houses, Cars, Loans, and so on...
It doesn't.

Why do you need a credit rating to buy a car, house, cell phone? All of those things can be bought with cash.

You are a shining example of why credit is bad.

Originally Posted by athens
I have a 300.00 deposit on my cell phone account because of bad credit
I have a 200.00 Deposit on my Internet/Cable because of bad credit
I have a 500.00 Deposit on my Insurance
I cant get a No fee account at Coast Capital Bank because you have to have good credit

So $1000.00 out of my pocket which I would have in my pocket if I had good credit, cant get International Calling, wasting money at a normal bank when ppl with good credit can get a no fee account. And it would be nice to have that 3 cent per L discount at Husky with a Husky CC
You have a bad credit rating. That is why you pay so much. Credit is a downward spiral.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 31, 2005, 08:48 AM

This is how it should be.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2005, 08:51 AM

It doesn't.

Why do you need a credit rating to buy a car, house, cell phone? All of those things can be bought with cash.

Well lets see, my has no credit at all, even with a deposit she couldnt get a cell phone plan which is strange I have bad credit and I have to pay a deposit. A person with good credit can buy a phone and service plan with out forking over hundreds of dollars as a deposit, that my friend is a reason to have good credit, and same for that Coast Capital No Fee banking. A hotel down the road already does credit checks to allow guests to stay there, the future is heading towards only dealing with ppl that has good credit.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 31, 2005, 09:28 AM

Avoid dealerships. Get something from a private party with all the service records, and make sure the owner didn't beat it up. Also, Fords generally aren't all that reliable. They're not unreliable, but they usually don't make it for hte long haul like hondas, subarus and toyotas with their ability to hit 200k quite easily without any problems. Any car can hit high mileage, it's just how nicely it can do so.

One other thing to consider: Are you going to keep this car for 10 years? If not, consider getting a better resale value. Hondas have insane resale values. You won't lose as much money if you sell one later on.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2005, 09:41 AM

There ya go. Pay cash for a used Honda from a private seller.

Problem solved!

(re: credit score - insurance rates are affected by your credit score, I'll admit. But you do have the option to self-insure your vehicle. In most states you'll need a substantial 'deposit' bond. Somewhere from $20,000 to 50,000 dollars. There's always a way around credit, ya see.)

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2005, 09:42 AM

Buy a Volvo. Median age of Volvos on the road today is 17 years.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 31, 2005, 10:00 AM

I'd say education is the sole exception to the rule, as the return for the money you spend on it is usually much greater than the initial cost of higher education.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2005, 10:50 AM

Well there you have it: you proved my point. If you never worried about "needing" credit, you never would have gotten bad credit.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
I'd say education is the sole exception to the rule, as the return for the money you spend on it is usually much greater than the initial cost of higher education.
I'm 39 years old. I know people my age who are still paying off college loans. No, I don't think you should borrow money to go to college. Learning is free, after all. If you can't afford the tuition, you can't afford to go to school there. The credit problems start when you make exceptions to the 'no credit' rule.

When I hire employees, I look for experience. If you have four years of experience, I'll probably hire you. If you have four years of college education, instead, I don't know if you can do the job. So, the guy who spent four years doing the job will get the job - and they guy who spent $78,000 for college won't get the job. So who's ahead of the game? The guy who owes $78,000 for education or the guy who made $120,000 in the same four years by actually doing the job?

Don't plan your life expecting to work for somebody. Work for yourself. Nobody will pay you what you're worth. if they did, they wouldn't be making money.

Every answer to every question is right in front of you. It costs $50 a month. There's no need to pay somebody to teach you.

Stay debt-free. There's no better feeling.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Oct 31, 2005 at 10:19 PM. )

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 31, 2005, 10:41 PM

I'm 39 years old. I know people my age who are still paying off college loans. No, I don't think you should borrow money to go to college. Learning is free, after all. If you can't afford the tuition, you can't afford to go to school there. The credit problems start when you make exceptions to the 'no credit' rule.

When I hire employees, I look for experience. If you have four years of experience, I'll probably hire you. If you have four years of college education, instead, I don't know if you can do the job. So, the guy who spent four years doing the job will get the job - and they guy who spent $78,000 for college won't get the job. So who's ahead of the game? The guy who owes $78,000 for education or the guy who made $120,000 in the same four years by actually doing the job?

Don't plan your life expecting to work for somebody. Work for yourself. Nobody will pay you what you're worth. if they did, they wouldn't be making money.

Every answer to every question is right in front of you. It costs $50 a month. There's no need to pay somebody to teach you.

Stay debt-free. There's no better feeling.
I have stayed debt free til this year. Problem is, the field I want to go into requires school. You can't get an industrial design job without a badass portfolio and a diploma. In order to get a badass portfolio you need lots of experience. Considering the only way to get experience is to get it at school (nobody hires industrial designers with zero experience, it'd be stupid), I have to go to school. Sucks.

On the other hand, I pay for all the cars and stuff with cash. Debt is stupid. I hate owing anybody money.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
Problem is, the field I want to go into requires school.
It's true that employers look at work experience over the fact that you have a degree. But just like he said, to get work experience (especially in Engineering, like I am), you need school. At the (school-sponsered) career fairs I've gone to, most comapnies won't even look at your resume unless you're at least a second semester sophomore. It's true that I will have racked up some good debt by the time I'm out of here, but I am doing thing to minimize that, such as staying in-state so tuition's cheaper and taking lots of classes so I can be out in four years. But it wouldn't be reasonable to expect someone to go out and make around $50K (very rough estimate of my expected debt) before even entering college. The average job one can get right out of high school with just a high school diploma does not pay all that great, and would probably suck for the most part (note: I said average). I don't want to wait until I'm 30 to go to college. The average starting salary for a Mechanical Engineer from ISU is around $52K a year. To me, going into a bit of debt is worth it to get a job I will absolutely love and has a healthy starting salary. If I'm wise once I graduate about things like car purchases and living arrangements, it really won't take too terribly long to pay that off. On the other hand, if you're giong into debt to major in something like Art or Music, where you can't get a job, might not be the greatest idea
*ducks away from flying paint buckets and trombones*

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2005, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by spliffdaddy
Learning is free.
But an education isn't.

macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 10:03 AM

It doesn't.

You are a shining example of why credit is bad.

You have a bad credit rating. That is why you pay so much. Credit is a downward spiral.
Its not the concept of debt or credit that's bad... it's the mis-management of it. In certain situations, you simply cannot achieve a goal without going into debt. For example, how long would it take you (without going into debt) to make $5 million dollars? $10 million? If you can do it in a lifetime (or already have) without ever going into debt, than you are certainly one of very few folks on this planet (keep in mind to make that much, you'd have to gross about twice that due to taxes).

However, many folks use credit or debt to make money in the long run. A simple example would be a rental property - you borrow money to buy a place, and maybe make a few bucks after expenses/taxes. A few years, later, you sell it for a profit - now, you're ahead of where you started without ever spending a dime.

Of course, things could go sour - but again, that's where the "management" part of it comes in. It is a risk, but isn't almost every thing?

Credit isn't bad. Not using common sense or being disciplined is.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 10:22 AM

Well there you have it: you proved my point. If you never worried about "needing" credit, you never would have gotten bad credit.
It strikes me that this "needing credit" debate is rather similar to debates I sometimes hear about "needing cars." You can certainly get by without a car. The argument goes something like this: Cars pollute, are dangerous to pedestrians/other drivers, encourage urban sprawl, cost tons of money, and you are much more likely to die in one than you are in virtually any form of mass transportation (train, plane, etc.) If you live too far away from your job/grocery store/whatever to commute some other way, move. If you can't, find a job that will let you move. Take a form of mass transit (train or plane) to visit relatives.

Of course, this argument is ridiculous for most people. Not all of us have the flexibility to just change our job to move out of an area that requires car commuting. And in those areas, bicycles and Segways are not really good substitutes. Cutting back on car use can be done without a lot of trouble, but the absolutist position of dumping the car altogether would make life difficult indeed.

The same thing goes for credit. I had to pay a lot of money in deposits when I first got out of college because I had no credit (not bad credit.) After that, I got a credit card and started using it regularly, paying off the balances most of the time. I am still largely debt-free today, a remarkable feat considering I'm a graduate student, but my credit score is much higher. Since I won't have $200k to lay down for a house somewhere down the line, and I don't want to hand over cash for deposits, this will help me down the line.

What I'm saying is, credit is a very valuable tool. Like other tools, you can also hurt yourself with it. Think of knives, for example -- we don't abandon them, even though they have the potential to slice off your finger or even kill you. Those who aren't responsible enough to handle credit (or knives!) should probably stay away. For those who can, it makes investing in a valuable education or a house, handling emergencies, and countless other things much easier and more convienient -- in some cases, it makes them possible when it otherwise wouldn't be.

FWIW, I certainly recommend staying away from buying things on credit (especially consumer goods) when it can be avoided.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2005, 10:33 AM

Heh, so many of you have bought into the credit myth.

You go and "buy" your rental property and sell it a few years later for "profit." I'll take that same amount of money and invest it in a fund that garners 10 to 15% interest. At the end of the road, I'll know what profit really is.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 1, 2005, 10:43 AM

You go and "buy" your rental property and sell it a few years later for "profit." I'll take that same amount of money and invest it in a fund that garners 10 to 15% interest. At the end of the road, I'll know what profit really is.
Well I'll go and buy crack, then make 2000% profit when i sell it to school children.

macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 12:13 PM

Ok - lets just use the examples here.....

We each start with 10K - since you don't believe in debt/credit - you'll invest all of it in your 15% fund.

I'll keep that 10K, and borrow 100K to buy a condo. - so I'm down 100K (technically) and you're down 0.
I rent my condo out for $900 a month. and lets say my expenses are $850 (mort., tax, maint.). So, I'm collecting $50 a month to pocket.

End of year 1, you make $1500, I make 600 (not counting any appreciation of my condo).
End of Year 2, you make another 1725, I make another 600
End of Year 3, you cash out with 15200 + change, take 10% for taxes gives you $14680

Now, let's just say I got a 15% flat appreciation on my condo - after 3 years, I sell it for ~115000 (and assume the buyer paid all closing).
Paying off my loan gives me 15000. Take 20% for taxes = 12000
My 600 a year profit is 1800
My original 10K which I kept (lets just say under my bed)
That gives me ~ 23800 (not counting any re-investments of my profit).

Yea - that debt really killed me.

Unless of course - I really F'up on my math.. then it may have killed me...

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 06:12 PM

I'm going to regret asking this, but what again is "the credit myth?"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2005, 07:12 PM

WHy on earth why I cash out in 3 years? Compound interest is your friend, and since the market has averaged 10.5 to 11% since its inception, you can use that percent (or even 10%) for 20 years or whatever.

You see, with your logic you may make money in a short time -- but you'll make nothing in the long run with that methodology. So you take your paltry $23k after 3 years and I'll take my $170.7k in 10. If you were to be able to make your $23k every 3 years, you'd only have a mere $70k to show for it -- without factoring in your real estate market fluctuations.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid
I'm going to regret asking this, but what again is "the credit myth?"
That credit is "necessary." It's not. Period.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 07:55 PM

That credit is "necessary." It's not. Period.
Fine then. Cars are not necessary, period. Walk to work, and if you can't, move. And while we're at it, neither are computers -- I trust you'll turn yours in at the nearest checkpoint. What, your job requires it? Get another job.

birdman
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2005, 08:38 PM

I see no one has addressed this yet, so I'll throw this out there. Debit cards do not always work, especially at hotels. When I bought my printer from HP's website, that same day I went to Office Max to buy a few items. The Office Max trip put my charges for the day over $250, so it was declined. Fortunately, I had enough cash on me to pay for it, but I don't always have $80 in cash in my wallet.

Hotels can be a problem because they "reserve" space on your credit card when you check in, so you don't just dash off without paying the bill. You aren't actually charged until you check out, but they reserve the funds so you don't go max out your card and then have none left for checkout. This again creates a problem with the debit cards that have daily spending limits (as a security feature). When I was hit with this problem, luckily I had a friend with me who was able to put the other room on his credit card.

And before you snarkily reply with a judgy face, :-| yes I realize you could also pay cash or write a check, and if the hotel won't let you do that you could just find another hotel. Isn't it great how everything in life has such simple solutions!

-birdman

macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 10:39 PM

WHy on earth why I cash out in 3 years? Compound interest is your friend, and since the market has averaged 10.5 to 11% since its inception, you can use that percent (or even 10%) for 20 years or whatever.
uh.. fine. So then take my initial 10K, and mirror your investments. So now I have the same investment returns as you... plus I have a condo.

You see, with your logic you may make money in a short time -- but you'll make nothing in the long run with that methodology. So you take your paltry $23k after 3 years and I'll take my $170.7k in 10. If you were to be able to make your $23k every 3 years, you'd only have a mere $70k to show for it -- without factoring in your real estate market fluctuations.
And how do you figure that? I mentioned nothing about reinvesting my profits, which I can definitley do.

And yea, real estate maket fluctuates... but it ain't like you're collecting 15% in a bond.

But the point here is not who's invested better... but the fact that credit/debt isn't always evil. Yea, if I took that 100K and bought myself a Ferrari - then you'd have a point. But again, that's not a credit/debt issue, its a financial management issue. Which is what I'm trying to illustrate.

Some folks DO need credit - not everybody can buy their homes (and you need credit to rent don't you?). But hopefully, if they're smart - they'll be able to buy their own place at some point.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid
Fine then. Cars are not necessary, period. Walk to work, and if you can't, move. And while we're at it, neither are computers -- I trust you'll turn yours in at the nearest checkpoint. What, your job requires it? Get another job.

Please don't be an idiot.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2005, 12:11 AM

His line of reasoning simply followed your to an extreme. All of those are potentially good things sometimes misused and turned into bad things.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 12:19 AM

Ditto.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2005, 06:38 AM

As some one living life with out good credit, I can tell u like is much harder, and more unfair for you. Good credit is a very important thing.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2005, 08:00 AM

As some one living life with out good credit, I can tell u like is much harder, and more unfair for you. Good credit is a very important thing.
But Athens, I haven't had to use my credit for *anything* in over 5 years, so I haven't received any benefits from "good credit." And yes, when you have bad credit, things do suck if you don't have the cash to pay for certain things like cars, rent, etc.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2005, 08:02 PM

For someone who asked if debit cards work as a credit card.. yes they do work as a credit card, but its definetly means a different thing.

You see with a debit card you have to deposit money and can use it to the extent of the deposit itself. Plain and simple.. is a check made of reusable plastic. Its worth what it has been deposited it to.

On the other hand, credit card is good for the amount of money that the card company believes you are worth (financially speaking of course) . You can deposit money, but the card company credits you an x amount of money. You owe that money when you use it.. and the cost of it is called interest rate.

In my humble opinion, credit is a good thing to have. Either you use it responsibly or not, that is a different issue. Being debt free is great.. awesome feeling. But I can also feel great by acquiring debt.. why you might ask? because I can sure pay back whatever I borrowed with the current level of income that I have AND I can enjoy the benefits of it. If I can do pay back, why would I worry about it.. my word is worth lots of money, but my credit history is worth more.

I do not want to brag or anything (besides a comparable level of income in Mx is much lower than the States), but I have had a personal credit card since I was 18 (I'm 30 right now) and I receive monthly pre-authorized loans to buy cars or properties or whatever I want to. All I need to do is bring that bank letter to the auto dealer and I have a good credit for aprox 18,000 USD right there in the spot. Never used one yet, but the darn day when I feel like driving with the top down on a bimmer I can surely do it. Credit is good.. think about it.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2005, 11:08 PM

I thought about it.

Debt is bad. And what is credit, if not debt?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2005, 12:11 AM

Debt is an obligation to pay something you owe. Credit is to have money available to borrow.

Its a simple concept. You borrow money that you could need for any reason.. the cost of being borrowed money is the interest. You pay the service of being allowed money.. you aren't taking anything from no one. It´s legal, it has benefits and if you are a trusthy person the cost of borrowing can be low.

Eternal debt is bad. I have to agree with that. It can drag you down and won´t let you go. Those are irresponsible/ignorant actions that depend solely on the acquirer of the credit. If someone is irresponsible, I would definetly advice to stay away from having a credit of any sort.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 09:56 PM

But Athens, I haven't had to use my credit for *anything* in over 5 years, so I haven't received any benefits from "good credit." And yes, when you have bad credit, things do suck if you don't have the cash to pay for certain things like cars, rent, etc.
Do u have a cell phone?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by polendo
Debt is an obligation to pay something you owe. Credit is to have money available to borrow.

Its a simple concept. You borrow money that you could need for any reason.. the cost of being borrowed money is the interest. You pay the service of being allowed money.. you aren't taking anything from no one. It´s legal, it has benefits and if you are a trusthy person the cost of borrowing can be low.

Eternal debt is bad. I have to agree with that. It can drag you down and won´t let you go. Those are irresponsible/ignorant actions that depend solely on the acquirer of the credit. If someone is irresponsible, I would definetly advice to stay away from having a credit of any sort.
credit is also your risk worthiness in the case of avoiding this thing called DEPOSITS. Good credit means your not a risk you can have the service with out paying a extra XXX deposit, bad credit, your a risk you have to pay XXX DEPOSIT. And every one has debt of some kind, including you RailHead unless you prepay everything. Your power bill, your phone bill and any other kind of bill is debt until paid. I highly doubt any one advances there power company or phone companies what they estimate will be there next bill to be truly debt free.
( Last edited by Athens; Nov 4, 2005 at 05:18 AM. )

Railroader
Banned
Nov 4, 2005, 01:42 AM

credit is also your risk worthiness in the case of avoiding this thing called DEPOSITS. Good credit means your not a risk you can have the service with out paying a extra XXX deposit, bad credit, your a risk you have to pay XXX DEPOSIT. And every one has debt of some kind, including you Railroad unless you prepay everything. Your power bill, your phone bill and any other kind of bill is debt until paid. I highly doubt any one advances there power company or phone companies what they estimate will be there next bill to be truly debt free.
Uhhh... that's "Railroader".

So, my barber is extending me "credit" whe he cuts my hair before I pay him. I am getting "credit" when I pump gas and then pay for it afterwards? A restaurant is extending me "credit" by letting me eat my food before I pay?

No, I am paying for goods delivered/services rendered.

Semantics arguments will make you look like an idiot in the long run.

You want to look respectable? Intelligent? Pay with cash. You should see the look on a car salesman's face when you tell/ask him: "How much of a discount can you give me if I pay cash today?". His jaw will drop and you will save a lot of money.

Do you have any idea the amount of money you throw away buying a house on a mortgage? Even at 5.5%? There's a reason why the federal government lets you deduct your mortgage interest. But even the end of that has been proposed.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 05:18 AM

Uhhh... that's "Railroader".

So, my barber is extending me "credit" whe he cuts my hair before I pay him. I am getting "credit" when I pump gas and then pay for it afterwards? A restaurant is extending me "credit" by letting me eat my food before I pay?

No, I am paying for goods delivered/services rendered.

You want to look respectable? Intelligent? Pay with cash. You should see the look on a car salesman's face when you tell/ask him: "How much of a discount can you give me if I pay cash today?". His jaw will drop and you will save a lot of money.

Do you have any idea the amount of money you throw away buying a house on a mortgage? Even at 5.5%? There's a reason why the federal government lets you deduct your mortgage interest. But even the end of that has been proposed.
I ment railhead, your names are similar

And yes your barber is extending you Credit until you actually pay him. Unless you pay first then get the goods, that is a form of credit. They are rendering the service with the expectation you will pay. Credit is not just about Money.

I really was responding to RailHead though

Railroader
Banned
Nov 4, 2005, 05:22 AM

And yes your barber is extending you Credit until you actually pay him. Unless you pay first then get the goods, that is a form of credit. They are rendering the service with the expectation you will pay. Credit is not just about Money.
Ahhh.. you are trying to incite a semantics argument.

My previous statement stands.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 05:33 AM

My previous statement stands, now we are at a impass. Lets call it a tie and walk away.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 4, 2005, 05:35 AM

My previous statement stands, now we are at a impass. Lets call it a tie and walk away.
I meant this one:
If you want to think of it as a tie, go ahead. You've never let reality affect your thinking before. No need to start now.

Just keep living the lower-class mentality lifestyle. You seem to wallow in it quite nicely. I assure you, credit is not the way to get out of that situation.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 05:46 AM

I meant this one:
If you want to think of it as a tie, go ahead. You've never let reality affect your thinking before. No need to start now.

Just keep living the lower-class mentality lifestyle. You seem to wallow in it quite nicely. I assure you, credit is not the way to get out of that situation.
Christ, your not happy unless you get the last word in with a few insults... Grow up already.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 4, 2005, 05:58 AM

Christ, your not happy unless you get the last word in with a few insults... Grow up already.
Hey, I'm just trying to offer you some advice. Good sound advice. I was handed nothing in life and I excelled beyond my surroundings.

You constantly state on here how much you hate your life. How you don't trust anyone. How you want to move. How your credit stinks. How bad your job is. How you live in a crappy neighborhood. How you have to drive past needle-row (orwhatever you call it) daily.

I am trying to help you see a way out of that kind of lifestyle.

Hopefully someone will be there when you finally accept a little help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules