Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 or 15" Powerbook?

iMac G5 or 15" Powerbook?
Stillmorningrise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 07:29 PM

I'm caught in a rut here. I'm buying a Mac so i can be certified in Logic for school and I don't know what to do. There's so many pros and cons to both the new iMac G5 and the powerbooks. Is the powerbook good enough to run a big multitrack session on it with logic or should I go with the G5? I already own a brand new PC so I was just thinking to get the notebook. But I was also thinking to sell my PC and buy the G5. The guy at the mac store I talked to today told me if I want a long term investment to go with the powerbook. But the G5 is cheaper than the powerbook but it's not as expandable as the powerbook. I'm pulling my hair out here.

What advice can you guys give me? I'll be mainly using my new Mac for audio editing.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2005, 07:30 PM

I think there is only one question to ask: Do you need portability? If no, iMac.

Stillmorningrise  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 07:47 PM

Portability would be nice but it's not like I need it that bad.

SShoot3r
Nov 13, 2005, 07:56 PM

iMac G5 all the way.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 08:20 PM

I'm not sure how the iMac is less expandable than the PowerBook. Neither are expandable, in the usual PC sense of the word. I guess the PowerBook has two RAM slots rather than the one + built-in 512 in the iMac, but 1.5 GB are probably enough for you, and you could always get a 2 GB RAM module if you really needed more RAM.

I also don't know what this salesperson meant by the PowerBook being more of a long-term investment. At least the iMac has the most recent generation processor (G5), unlike the PowerBook. If you don't need portability, I'd say the iMac is the way to go. Next year, or whenever they both have Intel chips, that probably won't be the case. In the past, before the iMac G5, the PowerBook has had better specs than the iMac. Right now is a bit of an anomaly.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2005, 09:10 PM

I think if it's a matter of portability, go for the ti book (duh). But whats nice is that they work better than you expect when you hook 'em up to a monitor, keboard, and mouse. Sometimes there is only a very fine line between the speed of a G4 and a G5, under certain cirsomstances.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2005, 09:25 PM

I don't see why you would get a Powerbook.

The 17-inch powerbook at 1.67GHz with 120-GB drive (5400 rpm) costs $2500.

The 17-inch iMac at 1.9 GHz with 160-GB drive (7200 rpm) costs $1300.

The 20-inch iMac at 2.1 GHz with 250-GB drive (7200 rpm) costs $1700.

So with the Powerbook, you pay a LOT more and get a slower computer, less hard drive space, and a slower hard drive, and the "mouse/keyboard" situation is less comfortable [unless you buy separate mouse+keyboard but then that's another $50-$100]. The other features are mostly comparable for the iMac vs. Powerbook set up. What you get with the Powerbook is portability, and also a Firewire 800 port (which the iMac does not have). If you don't need the portability, to me the iMac is a winner here!

Another aspect to consider: laptops have a higher repair rate than desktops in general, both for PCs and Macs (Consumer's Reports has statistics on this in their magazine).

As for "expandability," that situation is fairly similar for the iMac and laptops. You can put more memory in either model, and you can add endless storage via firewire. If you need to add special function cards, then you'd need a desktop computer, not an iMac and not a laptop.

As for desktop computers, you can spend $2000 and get a PowerMac that is superior to all the iMacs and Powerbooks that Apple offers. However you'd also need to purchase a monitor, so that's another couple of hundred $, but still cheaper than the best powerbook offered.

Unless you need the portability, I don't see why you'd want a laptop. The iMac takes up as little space as a laptop and has a nicer keyboard and mouse and better speakers.

Speed (GHz for cpu and rpm for drives) is actually something to ponder seriously. I still have a working PowerMac 7100 (with G3 card @ 266 MHz) and an iMac G3 @ 500MHz, and also a new iMac @ 2 GHz. Those older computers actually work just fine but hardware wise but have become slightly obsolete because many new programs require more MHz speed than they can provide. If you plan to use future versions of MS-Office or play any games, absolutely get the faster cpu you can for your money.

Stillmorningrise  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 09:39 PM

Yeah, what's the difference between firewire 400 and firewire 800? I think i'm gonna go with the iMac, the powerbook is just too much money for me right now.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2005, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stillmorningrise
Yeah, what's the difference between firewire 400 and firewire 800?
About 400. Closer to 393.216, but eh, who's counting.

FW400 will bottleneck most external drives that you connect, but the performance may still be sufficient for your needs.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 10:33 PM

iMac

volcano
Senior User
Nov 13, 2005, 11:31 PM

Like the majority here have stated, go with the iMac if you don't need the portability.

If you think you might need the portability, get rid of your PC and purchase a nice little 12" iBook to tie you over until some better Powerbooks are released - and relish in the fact that you're free and clear of a Windows system in your home.

Stillmorningrise  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 02:04 AM

Yeah I'm new to the whole Mac realm. I love them though, I've been working on them in school for 4 months now and I'm just blown away at how reliable they are. I'm selling my PC to my brother and I can't wait to have my new G5 sitting here. With my student discount I can get the 1.5 GB upgrade and Logic Express installed for a total of $1,928.

Another thing is though with another $200 I can get a Dual Power Mac 2Ghz with a 1GB ram for the same price.....I have a spare monitor sitting here too. But damn...I don't know, this is killing me. For the money the iMac is bitchin, but I can go the extra mile and get a tower.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 02:46 AM

You must be talking about the 20"? Whatever you do, save another $50 or so and don't get the 1 gig stick of RAM from Apple. You should be able to get one for $100 or less rather than the $180 that Apple charges. Doing it yourself is a breeze.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2005, 12:28 PM

Originally posed by:steve626

I don't see why you would get a Powerbook.

The 17-inch powerbook at 1.67GHz with 120-GB drive (5400 rpm) costs $2500.

The 17-inch iMac at 1.9 GHz with 160-GB drive (7200 rpm) costs $1300.

The 20-inch iMac at 2.1 GHz with 250-GB drive (7200 rpm) costs $1700.

So with the Powerbook, you pay a LOT more and get a slower computer, less hard drive space, and a slower hard drive, and the "mouse/keyboard" situation is less comfortable [unless you buy separate mouse+keyboard but then that's another $50-$100]. The other features are mostly comparable for the iMac vs. Powerbook set up. What you get with the Powerbook is portability, and also a Firewire 800 port (which the iMac does not have). If you don't need the portability, to me the iMac is a winner here!

Another aspect to consider: laptops have a higher repair rate than desktops in general, both for PCs and Macs (Consumer's Reports has statistics on this in their magazine).

As for "expandability," that situation is fairly similar for the iMac and laptops. You can put more memory in either model, and you can add endless storage via firewire. If you need to add special function cards, then you'd need a desktop computer, not an iMac and not a laptop.

As for desktop computers, you can spend $2000 and get a PowerMac that is superior to all the iMacs and Powerbooks that Apple offers. However you'd also need to purchase a monitor, so that's another couple of hundred $, but still cheaper than the best powerbook offered.

Unless you need the portability, I don't see why you'd want a laptop. The iMac takes up as little space as a laptop and has a nicer keyboard and mouse and better speakers.

Speed (GHz for cpu and rpm for drives) is actually something to ponder seriously. I still have a working PowerMac 7100 (with G3 card @ 266 MHz) and an iMac G3 @ 500MHz, and also a new iMac @ 2 GHz. Those older computers actually work just fine but hardware wise but have become slightly obsolete because many new programs require more MHz speed than they can provide. If you plan to use future versions of MS-Office or play any games, absolutely get the faster cpu you can for your money.
You are right, for the most part, but think of the expandability on the iMac, it isn't mutch better, what can't you upgrade on the iMac that you cannot upgrade on a PowerBook?

As for speeds, well, it depends on what you are doing, for web browsing, iLife etc. sure, a G5 is great, but you don't need a G5, but if your doing advanced video work, or sound work etc. then I do have to agree you, on the speed portion anyway. Not to mention, the monitor is included for both the PowerBook and the iMac.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2005, 12:29 PM

P.S. I own both an iMac and a PowerBook

Stillmorningrise  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 02:57 PM

I'm gonna be using the mac for advanced audio editing. So do you think an iMac will work good with that or should I just go with the G5 tower? Because I have a spare monitor with my old PC. Basically I'm looking at a $200 difference between the iMAC G5 and the PowerMac.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 09:54 PM

I have a 1.67 15" PowerBook and a 1.8Ghz iMac. Since you'll be learning logic on it, I vote for the iMac.

Here are the reasons:
-G5 is zippier.
-Bigger HDD availability. in a year or two you'll be able to put a 500GB drive in your machine for $200. It'll be 5 or 7 years before 500GB drives are available for laptops.
-The iMac screen is so much brighter and nicer.
-Desktop form factor is a little nicer to work in front of compared to the powerbook on the desk
-Cheaper.

ImpulseResponse

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2005, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
-Bigger HDD availability. in a year or two you'll be able to put a 500GB drive in your machine for $200. It'll be 5 or 7 years before 500GB drives are available for laptops.
If the price of a 500GB drive only drops $130 in the next 2 years, I'm going to be pissed.
I think 500GB laptop drives will be available in 3-4 years, but you're right, desktop drives will always be bigger.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2005, 10:04 PM

Ok, then yes, if you are going to be advanced audio editing, then go for the iMac.

No further questions your honor.

Stillmorningrise  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the advice about the iMac, I was suggesting if I should just get a G5 tower because I have a spare monitor? I'm not getting a powerbook. Now I'm stuck between the iMac and the G5 tower. $200 difference between the iMac and the G5 tower with my student discount.

Forum Links
Forum Rules