Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > M-Audio: Transit OR Sonica Theater For Optical Output?

M-Audio: Transit OR Sonica Theater For Optical Output?
guywithFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 10:11 PM

I'm connecting my powerbook to my home theater and need some sort of comparison of the Transit Versus the Sonica Theater. It will be used for FrontRow and various other applications. So it needs to native in some way to be fully compatible. If I can save 30 bucks by buying the transit because they have the same features I will. Also if anybody has one, how's the interface and ease of use?

Thanks
12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz/1.25GB RAM/80GB/SuperDrive
1GB iPod Shuffle, 15GB 3rd Gen iPod, 80GB Black iPod Video

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2005, 04:25 AM

Well if you need "digital optical" out than the sonica theater isn't what you're looking for. It has digital out, but via coax not optical. This is, of course, unless they changed it since I got mine.

I have to say the sonica theater hooked up to my set of logitech z5500s sounds very nice; however, the drivers from m-audio aren't that great for osx. Occasionally they freeze my powerbook upon plugging in the ST --> hard restart needed. I've read of similar problems with the transit while searching for an answer to my own problem. Aparently it has to do with the drivers not unloading correctly or something like that when the device is disconnected. I'm not really sure about the explaination... but it is quite anoying. Anyway, might be something you want to look in to before you buy.

As far as the interface... well I don't screw with it too much. I don't even think I have the drivers loaded currently since i'm just passing through the signal and they just caused problems.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules