Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will you pay $60 for videogames?

Will you pay $60 for videogames?
starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2005, 07:44 PM

I went to put a deposit on Ridge Racer 6 for the 360 only to find that it's a $60 game. Ridge Racer sure as hell doesn't deserve a $60 price tag. I didn't buy it. Do you think this is going to hurt the industry? Is there a psychoogical "hump" that you hit when something goes over $50 where you fell that it's getting into the "too expensive" range?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2005, 07:48 PM

I don't play video games any more. Most of them aren't worth the cash you blow on them.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I don't play video games any more. Most of them aren't worth the cash you blow on them.
Ya why pay for video games when posting on MacNN is free.

Actually $60 isn't even that high, remember many N64 titles? Some were $90+.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2005, 08:01 PM

Thats what I pay for all my games...I in fact just paid that for GTA for my PSP.
Who reads this???

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 08:05 PM

It's a lot, but it doesn't seem like they've risen very quickly. I remember 10 or 12 years ago, the best new games were retailing for $49.99.

ImpulseResponse

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 08:18 PM

If only you could return games you don't like back to the store.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 08:25 PM

i dont play video games - i did play my sega gensis earlier today super tecmo bowl - anyways i think they should do more two pack games - say $50 for one game but $75 for two??? or do they already do this???

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Ham Sandwich
Nov 14, 2005, 08:38 PM

Kinda like the hump that was hit with some PSP games went for $50US. The PS2 games that cost $40.00 is just about the right amount where it even becomes an "impulse" buy. Hell, the $7 or $8 dollars to rent a game for a week through Blockbuster I find to be outrageous.

Are retailers inflating the price of 360 games to take advantage of the hype machine?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2005, 08:39 PM

No, I wouldn't.

High game prices are the main reason why I don't have any game console. That is besides the fact that I don't own a television. I'd buy a decent console if new games had a 20 - 30 bucks price tag. I know game development consumes lots of money, and I know there are many people out there willing to pay the current prices, so I don't have any hopes to own a game console in the future.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2005, 08:56 PM

$60 for a game isn't that bad. It's when you pay the f*cking $60 for the game AND have to pay the god damn $15/month to play it online.

I HATE Pay-To-Play.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 09:01 PM

ptttfttttt $60. I go the ebgames here in Perth and the new games all cost around AU$100 for any system...that roughly translates to US$75. absolutely rediculious if u ask me.

Sure ill buy games at $60, but just fewer games and only ones that i feel are worth $60.

Maybe its time games got a price bracket depending on their demand. Like the not so popular ones get introduced at a baseline price of say $40, and the really popular ones that were expensive to make and market retail for no more than $60 ?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 09:44 PM

games for teh genesis used to be upwards of $80. The longer ones (RPGs) with "Battery Backup" seemed especially pricey.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 10:06 PM

Kids will naturally want the higher priced games... and parents generally give their kids what they want.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 14, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
$60 for a game isn't that bad. It's when you pay the f*cking $60 for the game AND have to pay the god damn $15/month to play it online.

I HATE Pay-To-Play.

That's why I never bought World of Warcraft, though I hear it was a good game.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Kids will naturally want the higher priced games... and parents generally give their kids what they want.
true...never occured to me, and it would also discourage developers from trying something new. bad idea to have a price bracket. but i think $50 is the sweet spot.

Also, i have the GCN i purchaced in the US...its actually cheaper for me to buy a brand new game off Amazon and have it delivered to me from the U.S. than to drive to my local EBGames(5 minutes away) and buy it. How rediculious is that ?

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 14, 2005, 10:41 PM

I paid $59.99 for mariopaint when it came out, but it included the nintendo mouse

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2005, 10:52 PM

I don't plan on paying $60/game any time soon.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 11:25 PM

If you think about it in terms of hours of entertainment it is much cheaper than going to see a movie.

MM-o4
Senior User
Nov 14, 2005, 11:35 PM

'Dark Helmet' I completely agree with you
But lets see how much PS3 with be with Blue-ray discs. That sounds expensive.

MM

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2005, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
If you think about it in terms of hours of entertainment it is much cheaper than going to see a movie.
There are great previous-generation games I haven't played that are even cheaper.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 14, 2005, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by MM-o4

MM
I doubt all games will be blu-ray discs. When the PS2 came out the majority of the games were regular CDs, with a few games being DVDs.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
games for teh genesis used to be upwards of $80. The longer ones (RPGs) with "Battery Backup" seemed especially pricey.

chrono trigger on SNES was like 75 retail. i think there was a genesis game that was 100, wasnt there? the last phantasy star maybe?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by MM-o4

MM
Still waaaaay cheaper than a ROM cart like the N64 had. I think at worst a blu-ray disk might cost $2 more to make over a DVD.

MM-o4
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 12:17 AM

Conkers Bad Fur Day was $140 AUS for the N64.
It hurts to think how much maoney I have spent on games after having owned :
Nintendo Controll Deck
Sega Master System
Super Nintendo
Mega Drive + Mega CD
Gameboy
Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Colour
Gameboy Advance
Atrai Lynx
Sega Game gear + tv tuner
PS one.
And I currently have a Game Cube, a PC and a Mac with games.

I am also wanting to get one of the next gen systems, either a PS3 but most likely a Nintendo Rev.
Crazy. I am the game industry's bitch

But I love it for some reason

MM

MM-o4
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 01:05 AM

geezzz finally made it to 200 posts. Been lurking round here for the last 4 years.

MM

triskele
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 01:29 AM

I can definitely remember when N64 was out that games were regularly over the $60 mark upon release. Good thing I had friends whose parents would fork over the money for that sort of thing. With the present state of some of the big name games out there they're not worth it. Sure some of them are fun to start but most lose their novelty real fast or they're just really short games. I remember a certain RPG to end all RPGs that came out last year that I finished(side quests included) in under a week. In my opinion there are only a handful of games actually worth playing these days and it's a shame the majority of them are available only for x-box and windows.
20" iMac G5 2.1 GHz 250 GB 512MB

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by triskele
I can definitely remember when N64 was out that games were regularly over the $60 mark upon release. Good thing I had friends whose parents would fork over the money for that sort of thing. With the present state of some of the big name games out there they're not worth it. Sure some of them are fun to start but most lose their novelty real fast or they're just really short games. I remember a certain RPG to end all RPGs that came out last year that I finished(side quests included) in under a week. In my opinion there are only a handful of games actually worth playing these days and it's a shame the majority of them are available only for x-box and windows.
You finished WoW in a week?

But, I've heard it's all about the replayability and the immersive environment... or something like that.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 03:09 AM

No.

triskele
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 03:23 AM

I was refering to Fable, and if they would've finished everything they said they were gonna put in it like 30 hous of gameplay and a handfull of other stuff it woulda been a stand up game. But now it's a year later and you can get it brand new for $19.99. That's not what I call staying power. Now Morrowind, there's an RPG. Damn them for not putting it on Mac, it would look amazing on a 20" widescreen. I may have to suck it up and get Virtual PC when Oblivion comes out. That'll be almost $200 for a game.

And about WoW I'm sceptical. I've never been big on the whole MMORPG thing.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Some were $90+.
In what? Canadian?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 03:25 AM

I may have to suck it up and get Virtual PC when Oblivion comes out. That'll be almost $200 for a game.
3D games don't run under Virtual PC.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 03:40 AM

Will you pay $60 for videogames?
No.

bembol
Nov 15, 2005, 04:24 AM

$60 U.S. for Ridge Racer? NO...!!!

I can't remember the title but it was selling for $79.99 CAN, the ONLY game on XBOX 360 I would pay for that price is...

Ninja Gaiden 2

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
3D games don't run under Virtual PC.
They don't? I thought if you had 2 video cards they did.

triskele
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up gMac. I'll have to look into that a little more. And I have an iMac so if you do, in fact, need two video cards to get 3D out of Virtual PC then I'm screwed and M$ needs to rewrite their program so it works the way it should.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 11:52 AM

$60 games will all be available for $30 or less 6 months after they come out. If you don't want to pay full price, just wait.

That's what I do for a lot of games. I only buy the AAA titles right when they come out.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 12:13 PM

Hmm -- many xbox 360 games in the UK appear to have an RRP of £50 (86.7456 USD)

Sigh... I remember when games cost £5-£10 on casette tape.
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
In what? Canadian?
American. In Canadian I saw some fighting game for $119 for the N64. Conkers for N64 was also expensive.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
They don't? I thought if you had 2 video cards they did.
Long long ago if you had a Vodoo card with VPC3 you could. ATI and NVidia cards have never worked with VPC, and they dropped support anything iirc.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the heads up gMac. I'll have to look into that a little more. And I have an iMac so if you do, in fact, need two video cards to get 3D out of Virtual PC then I'm screwed and M$ needs to rewrite their program so it works the way it should.
Picture this.
Take your video game.
Put it on a 300-400 MHz P3 system with no video card.
Expect similar performance out of Virtual PC.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 03:30 PM

Yeah, N64 games used to start at $59 bucks. A lot of them were $69 and some where as high as $79.

That was one of the main reasons they got spanked so hard by Sony. When CD games started to become available for $20 or less it got the attention of a whole new demographic. Cart games could never get that low.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Yeah, N64 games used to start at $59 bucks. A lot of them were $69 and some where as high as $79.

That was one of the main reasons they got spanked so hard by Sony. When CD games started to become available for $20 or less it got the attention of a whole new demographic. Cart games could never get that low.

The problem with the N64 was just not the final ROM costs. FIRST, having to have things on carts was a pain for developers as they couldn't just burn a CD of the game for testing, they had to buy special dev carts from Nintendo that could be re-written (they were also huge). It was slow and a pain.

Second, the cost of the final ROMS was expensive to make.

Third, Nintendo charged and arm and a leg for licensing at the time. They were just coming from the monopoly called Super nintendo and thought they could charge what they wanted. After the first year when Nintendo games were close to $100 and more people were going to playstation they lowered their licensing costs.

fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 05:26 PM

Already did, GT4 and Ratchet & Clank I-II-III platium thanks to SWG.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 05:41 PM

Yes, but only since i've become a much more casual gamer, buying no more than 5 games a year (more like 2-3).

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ort888

yeah theres something to be said for cart systems though, you can save the game on the cart and the systems last forever because they are solid state. Oh and I wouldn't pay $60 for ridgeracer, maybe final fantasy or something but not ridgeracer.

MM-o4
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 06:27 PM

I was pissed when I got my mega CD with Sonic CD and finished the game that day!
Yeah Sonic looked cool with great quality music but where was the value in that.

MM

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 06:30 PM

I normally buy used CDs and games. Seems a good deal to wait a little while for a used copy of a game where the price has dropped rather than spend way too much money during its initial release.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001
yeah theres something to be said for cart systems though, you can save the game on the cart and the systems last forever because they are solid state.
The best thing about cartridges is the lack of ridiculous loading times.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 10:13 PM

Wait... you mean.. people ACTUALLY pay for video games. Wow. Thats unexpected.

I mean, I pay for video games every now and then, but those are for my Dreamcast, and are usually about 500 Yen.

Good old Dreamcast. So new to me, but so old to this part of the world.

miacomet
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2005, 10:16 PM

No chance. $60 price tag is too high. Video game companies are making money hand over fist. I'll just wait for a price cut... All $60 games will be $20 eventually.

Forum Links
Forum Rules