Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help with ssh tunneling

Help with ssh tunneling
timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2005, 09:55 PM

Hi,

I am trying to do this:

I have phpmailer, and want to use localhost as the SMTP server while coding it from my personal computer. However, I can't use a real localhost SMTP server due to my ISP and some other issues (long story.) Is there a way to make it so any communcation to localhost SMTP server actually talks to localhost SMTP on a remote host? I can't use hosts to do it, it has to be a tunnel.

Thanks!

Nugget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 11:09 AM

There's a much better way to "solve" this issue.

Edit /private/etc/postfix/main.cf and uncomment one of the "relayhost" lines in the config, thusly:

Code:
relayhost = mail.example.com
Set the relayhost value to the hostname of your ISPs mail server. This will cause your local mail server to hand off all outbound mail to your ISPs mail server for delivery, obviating the need for any fancy (and brittle) ssh tunnels or complicated routing workarounds.

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2005, 06:48 PM

I did this at first, but when sending emails to comcast email addresses, comcast replies that relaying is not allowed. :-( I set up SSH tunneling and it works though. Sometimes. :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules