Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > nano and 5g cases

nano and 5g cases
softshells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 08:42 PM

what are the nicest cases out there now do you think?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2005, 10:09 PM

My wife and I looked at the selection of nano cases in the Apple Store today for her new toy, and they all sucked. We had a chuckle over the pink one with the flip-up cover that had a built-in mirror!

We decided to just get one of the plastic adhesive thingies to protect the screen. She usually takes good care of her little electronic devices, anyway, so not having a hard case in not that big a deal for her, but all the stories of the screen scratching in normal use made us think we needed something protecting it. I've had good sucess with those plastic thingies on all my Palm devices.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2005, 03:27 AM

foofpod

Got my GF the "origami" nano case. Nice and low profile.

We have a few more for our full sized iPods. They're nice as well, with a little more bulk befitting the full size's heft.

Never seen someone else with one if that kind of thing matters to you.

I have a bajillion other cases, some really nice ones too (including a Vaja). For all-around practicality and spiffyness I'd go with the foof.

If you accept the level of protection they give, the iPod socks are really quite good as well.
( Last edited by subego; Nov 28, 2005 at 03:36 AM. )

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2005, 08:40 PM

It's totally subjective, and depends on what's a priority for you (clear, lightweight, thin, hard case, etc.). I had decided on a hard case, but got tired of waiting for a Speck clear case to ship, so I ordered a PDAir aluminum case for my nano. I've been pretty happy with it so far.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

crooner
Senior User
Nov 29, 2005, 12:10 AM

There are plenty of cool cases out there. Personally, I decided to go for the same combo as I did for my 4G 40GB photo:

An Agent 18 ClickShield and a custom Vaja case. The Vaja will be my main case but I find the ClickShield cool for certain occasions when I need slimness over style.
The Vaja cases, as you'll find all over these forums, are expensive but they are the Rolls Royce of iPod cases. Here’s the color combo I chose for my 60GB black model.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2005, 05:02 AM

Ooooh.

I dig the black front with the black click-wheel.

crooner
Senior User
Nov 29, 2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by subego
Ooooh.

I dig the black front with the black click-wheel.

Thanks. Me, too.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

betasp
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 03:59 PM

I have a toughskin and the clear cases from Speck. They are ok. Nowhere near the quality of the coutour designs case I had on my 3G, but adequate.

reemas
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 03:28 AM

was gonna start a new thread, but found this one. 5g cases are hard to find! (and vaja is too expensive for me).

bump, if anyone knows of any other cases.

crooner
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 09:05 AM

Check out the Agent 18 ClickShield. I just got the notice that mine shipped. Looks to be very, very nice without adding any bulk.

romevi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 03:35 PM

Do the Vaja cases come with a screen protector? Or a click-wheel protector?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 05:44 PM

I just got the DLO Podfolio for my 5G iPod. It's pretty nice.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by romevi
Do the Vaja cases come with a screen protector?
Yes.

Or a click-wheel protector?
No.

At least on my 4th generation case.

crooner
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 06:55 PM

Do the Vaja cases come with a screen protector? Or a click-wheel protector?

They come standard with a screen protector and have an optional click wheel protector for a about $7-10.

aussieboss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 12:11 AM

I actually like the little slip case that came with it. They should start selling more of those separately, so we can buy another when it wears out. I'm totally fine with that case and protective film over the screen (I never took the one of that it come with) but I'll prolly have to get a new one.

reemas
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 01:19 AM

yeah i need a film cover too. the invisible shield ruined an ipod nano i had. luckily i got a refund. so im kinda unsure now.

phoneear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 01:40 AM

Has anyone come up with a protection for the back? I want to keep it shiny too, but it has to be the softest metal ever.

reemas
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 01:48 AM

i would use the invisible shield on the back. just not the front. plus it leaves a sticky residue when you do decide to take it off. (as mentioned by rainy day magazine.)

reemas
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 03:15 AM

Vaja cases are nice, but I can't afford the price.

reemas
Senior User
Dec 6, 2005, 03:22 AM

anyone know of any other cases? seems like there aren't many. i use the apple cover and its nice, but i want something like the invisible shield too. unfortunately i don't want to get my ipod wet, my nano started having problems after applying the invisible shield.

crooner
Senior User
Dec 7, 2005, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by reemas
anyone know of any other cases? seems like there aren't many. i use the apple cover and its nice, but i want something like the invisible shield too. unfortunately i don't want to get my ipod wet, my nano started having problems after applying the invisible shield.

I don't blame you for not wanting to get your iPod wet. I bought the IS not knowing about the involved procedure and subsequently abandoned it.

My Agent 18 5G ClickShield arrived and I must say it's a fine case. My only beef with it is the fact that, like it's earlier predecessors, it has a frosted finish (aside form the screen area, which is, of course, clear) that mattes the shininess of my black iPod's beauty. It is for this reason (and the fact that I'm a case whore) that I've ordered the ExremeMac MicroShield. This case is completely clear andc with two back plates - one with a clip and one without.

In addition to the two cases I've mentioned here, as well as the Vaja I’ve ordered, I currently have the Martin Fields protection film on the front and back of the 'Pod to protect against any scratches while inserting and removing it from each case. In know... a lot of protection to go through, but it worked great for my 40GB photo. The only change I’ll make is to replace the MF protection film with the Power Support Crystal Film as soon as it ships. This is, by far, the best iPod film available and well worth the meager investment.

Summing up: from what you've said, my hunch is that you'd dig the ExtremeMac case. Check it out here:

http://www.xtrememac.com/cases/video...ld_video.shtml

Hope this helps.

reemas
Senior User
Dec 7, 2005, 01:08 PM

crooner, that is a neat case (extrememac). if you have one, can you share some detailed pics? i'm having a hard time making out things with their website photos. and being that it looks like a hard case, does the ipod slip around a little inside and perhaps scratch?

whats the difference between the agent 18 click shield and the extrememac? i can't see much with the small photos. (do either have any slack once the ipod is inside?)

lastly, why do you recommend the Power Support Crystal over the rest?

sorry for the numerous questions, answer when you can. thanks.
( Last edited by reemas; Dec 7, 2005 at 05:08 PM. )

brunotapia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2005, 11:49 PM

Hi,

I am trying to decide between the Agent18 Video Shield for the 30 GB iPod Video and the Extreme Mac Microshield. Are they the same thickness? I too am planing on installing the Power Support Crystal Film Cover. With this installed, will the ipod still fit within either case?

Thanks,

Bruno

im_noahselby
Senior User
Dec 23, 2005, 11:07 PM

My personal preference for cases are ones that allow the design to shine and doesn't hide it, like a metal case does. Here are a couple of my favourite iPod nano cases:

iPod capsule - http://www.switcheasy.com/
nice, you can't charge it while the case is on it though. This added bit of protection doesn't bother me, but some may be annoyed.

Mareware iPod nano Christmas stocking - http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...talogCatID=197
Christmas is almost here and I'm sure by the time many of you read this, it will actually be behind us, but I could not resist posting this little gem. Cute...

InvisibleSHIELD - http://thinkdifferentstore.com/produ...oducts_id/1371
While it doesn't provide enough protection for me personally, I know there are plenty out there that this protection film was made for.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

crooner
Senior User
Dec 24, 2005, 02:05 AM

I've received a few messages from members interested in my experiences with the cases I’ve thus tried, so in the interest of everyone here, thoughts I’d post my thoughts:

Note: these are all cases for the 5G video iPod.

The Agent 18 ClickShield:
Just as with the ClickShield for my photo model, the 5G CS is a great case. I personally like the fact that the top and bottom are flush with the case, allowing for full compatibility with all top and bottom mounting accessories. This is even more essential as, without the now defunct remote connector on top, we more than ever need to be able to add dock connector toys without the hassle of removing the iPod from its case.

The positives: It fits great. The fact that the case snaps (very well) onto itself on the sides with very little extra bulge creates a very clean straight on look. It's solid, well made and very protective.
The Negatives: While this may be specific to black iPods, the fact that the plastic is matte/frosted except for the screen area hides the sexah-factor for the black iPod's shiny goodness. Also, for some reason, there were a couple of spots where the case came into contact with the Power Support Crystal Film and resulted in what appeared to be a "wet spots" or moisture caught in between the film and case. While there was, of course, no such moisture, the pressure of the case against the film did create this illusion in two small areas. Not a deal breaker, but something to be aware if. If the case were not frosted it would be flawless, IMHO.

The Extreme Mac Microshield:
Positives: Completely clear case allows full beauty of a black iPod to shine through. It is almost identical in thickness and bulk to the Agent 18, so therefore doesn't add unnecessary girth or weight. The screen and click wheel cutouts are perfectly positioned and I like the fact that Extreme Mac includes TWO back parts - one with a belt clip and one without. This is a major boon AFAIC, as there are occasions when I will use the belt clip.
Cons: The method by which the case attaches and clips together is not nearly as solid and eye pleasing as the Agent 18. The bottom half "grabs" the middle section of the iPod's sides while the top half grips onto the top and bottom parts. This results in two minor eye-sores for me: First, from a side view, I don't like the jigsaw effect this produces and, second, from the front view this "cutout" method breaks up the otherwise perfectly clear , uninterrupted edges of the case, thus adding a bit of distraction. This isn't a huge issue, it's just a shame to see the otherwise shiny, minimalist front intruded upon by the plastic grabbers from the bottom half.
Also, because of this method of connection, the case doesn't feel as solid as the Agent 18 when on the iPod.

Nevertheless, as I really like the clearness (and the fact that there are no perceived "wet spots" like on the Agent 18) the Microshield is what now covers my iPod.

It's a tough choice. If I had a white model, I’d say go for the Agent 18. The frosted plastic is almost a non issue with white iPods. It really only comes into play with the shiny black front.
If clearness is as important to you as it is to me, then the Microshield is the way to go. While its lines aren’t quite as pristine as the Agent 18, it's still more than cool and the added benefit of the second backing with belt clip is a real plus.

Now then... I have received word that the Speck SeeThru cases have (FINALLY) shipped. I will post my views on these when they arrive. I'm very interested to see how they compare.

As for other clear, hard cases, the other two to consider are the Contour iSee, which has just starting shipping. The Nano version looks very cool and minimalist and the shots I’ve seen of the full size version look quite cool. The X-factor in the whole equation is a product that has not even been announced but undoubtedly will be very soon. This is the Crystal Jacket from Power Support. They are shipping the Nano version now and I'm betting on about 30 days before they announce the 5G version. If past Power Support quality is consistent, my guess is that this will be THE clear case to get. We'll see.

Two other things worth mentioning. Regardless of what case you get, be it hard case, leather, pleather, ribbed for her pleasure, fake-fur, you name it, I cannot stress the importance of investing in a protective film for your iPod. As is with the case (pun unavoidable) with my obsessive and out of control case buying compulsion for the iPod, such is the ca... uh... situation with protective films. As I was too anxious to wait for Power Support to get their product to market, I tried a few different ones. Utter crap from Decal Girl and the iDiddy (winner of the "What a way to waste a few bucks on an iPod" award) to the excellent but ever so slightly too small Martin Shield films. The MS is very good, it just didn’t line up perfectly with the outer edges of the iPod's front. Finally, Power Support did ship the Crystal Film for the 5G and it was worth the wait. (In an extra cool measure, Power Support gave those who signed up for early notification of this product a short, "first chance" window to get their orders placed before the product was officially placed on the company’s website for order. I appreciated this move.)
The front cover fits the iPod's face perfectly. They don't use the word Crystal for nothing. You don't know it’s there. It does not interfere with the screen's clarity AT ALL. This cannot be said of the Decal Girl, iDiddy or even the über-protective InvisibleShield, which is not as invisible as some would hope. The other thing that distinguishes the Power Support Film is its 3-D wheel film. All other films either approach click wheel protection with either a one piece circle or a clunky two piece approach. Power Support’s offering is a one piece that lives up to its "3-D" moniker... the center button is raised a bit, making sightless navigation much easier. You wouldn’t think so, but once you get used to the 3-D wheel film's tactile ability to always let you know where that center button is, it’s hard to go back to a flat click wheel. This, if nothing else, is what sets the Power Support Film apart from all others.

On another note; I received my Vaja case. While I was thrilled at the Vaja case I got for my 40GB photo, I am very distressed to say that I am supremely disappointed with the 5G case. It reeks of a case that was pushed out the door too fast. I'm not talking about irregularities in leather grain, here. First, and most glaring, is the fact that the cut-out for the click wheel and the screen are NOT PROPERLY ALIGNED! Yep. You read correctly. In order to get the click wheel centered in its cutout, you have to compromise a little bit on the top edge of the screen protector view. Also, this means NOT having the iPod pressed all the way into the case, making it even more of a pain to use certain dock connecting add-ons. This is inexcusable, as far as I’m concerned, in any case, especially for a $70 one. This alone is enough to ruin the experience, but there’s more. Whereas the first case I got from Vaja as well as their own promo shots of the 5G cases show a very smooth, flush seem where the back half meets the top, on my case the back half's seem is a bit more than a credit card's thickness fatter than the front side's, creating a noticeable "lip." If the first issue wasn't present, I’d let this slide, but as this is not the situation, this flaw will be added to my demand to Vaja for either a new case or my money back. I'm not at all looking forward to this fight as Vaja's return policy is about nonexistent. It's going to be up to me to provide proof that this design is flawed and that this is not me being picky. I'll let you know how things go. In the meantime, I strongly advise anyone thinking of ordering a Vaja case to hold off. It saddens me to say this as I have always been a major proponent of their cases, often espousing their top level quality as offsetting the cost. Wish me luck.

I hope this helps everyone. Lemme know if there is anything I left out or you’d like to know.

Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2005, 10:59 PM

I'm very close to dropping the $80 or so it costs to get one of those Vaja cases - they look VERY nice.

Anyone know of any reviews out there? Or possibly an alternative case that flips from the top (not the bottom like the belkins do)?

psk-ele
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2005, 11:30 PM

I know I'll get laughed at, but I really like the Apple Nano Tubes. They fit perfectly, have an opening for their lanyard earphone accessory and aren't dust magnets like most silicone cases. THey have a really low cost per case (about $6 each) and even though you won't like all the colors, I like three out of the five (blue, green, clear). Nice texture and excellent fit, not too thick.

But, if I hadn't gone with the Apple Nano Tubes, I would have gone for the Agent 18 case for the nano. My girlfriend has the Agent 18 for the Mini and its amazing! Its by far the most amazing case I have ever seen for the Mini. Hmmmm, I may end up getting the Agent 18 case later on if I get bored with the Nano Tubes...
"When people say that Macs suck, that
means they have never used
them.....trust me...."

volcano
Senior User
Dec 27, 2005, 03:28 AM

I'm very pleased with my Invisible Shield on my 30GB iPod video. It's clear, and unlike [most] users, I don't have that annoying "bump" effect on the front of my iPod. Perhaps the special water I soaked it in and the organic soap helped? Who knows. Regardless, the screen is crystal clear and my family couldn't even tell it was on there. Yes, it's a bit tedious to put on - it took me over 2 hours - but that's simply because I'm Monkish and everything had to be perfect. I decided to not cover up the click wheel, thus making the click wheel feel like a 3G iPod - where the wheel was sunk in a bit, which is great for changing volume and songs without having to look at the device.

I've had it on for over a month and love it. I put it on the day I got my iPod - and as a matter of fact, I ordered the shield about 2 weeks before I even purchased my iPod. I absolutely hate bulky cases - but when I throw my iPod in my backpack, I use one of my two Sumo cases to cushion it. I know the shield might be a pain to remove in the future - but to be honest, I'd rather buy a bottle of Goo Gone rather than have a scratched up iPod when I try to sell it in the future.

drift1492
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by volcano
I'm very pleased with my Invisible Shield on my 30GB iPod video. It's clear, and unlike [most] users, I don't have that annoying "bump" effect on the front of my iPod. Perhaps the special water I soaked it in and the organic soap helped? Who knows. Regardless, the screen is crystal clear and my family couldn't even tell it was on there. Yes, it's a bit tedious to put on - it took me over 2 hours - but that's simply because I'm Monkish and everything had to be perfect. I decided to not cover up the click wheel, thus making the click wheel feel like a 3G iPod - where the wheel was sunk in a bit, which is great for changing volume and songs without having to look at the device.

I've had it on for over a month and love it. I put it on the day I got my iPod - and as a matter of fact, I ordered the shield about 2 weeks before I even purchased my iPod. I absolutely hate bulky cases - but when I throw my iPod in my backpack, I use one of my two Sumo cases to cushion it. I know the shield might be a pain to remove in the future - but to be honest, I'd rather buy a bottle of Goo Gone rather than have a scratched up iPod when I try to sell it in the future.

Only problem is what you are going to use to "scrub" the goo off while using the goo gone in the future. I cant think of anything you could use that wouldnt scratch the surface. Good luck with that.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by crooner

Note: these are all cases for the 5G video iPod.

The Agent 18 ClickShield:

(…)
Sorry for my dumb question… but since you are talking about iPod Video cases, the Agent 18 case is the 'Video Shield' case, right? I can see the Click Shield is aimed to a previous iPod model. It was a 'mental typo' or is this Video Shield a newer model that yours? (since if you look at it, it doesn't seems to have that frosted look like the Click Shield model).

Thank you very much for your input, I am looking for a nice iPod Video case and I think I am going to get the Video Shield case.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 11:42 AM

BTW, how is the back of the Agent18 VideoShield case?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2006, 12:04 AM

I wrote a review on the Incase G5 iPod case.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=279705

Forum Links
Forum Rules