Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > FCP Upgrade Quandary

FCP Upgrade Quandary
DeathMan
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 01:30 AM

My wife has been running FCP since version 3. She bought it when she was in school, and hasn't upgraded it since. She now wants to upgrade to FCP Studio. So we ordered the FCP Studio Upgrade from Final Cut Pro ($618, pretty good price) from Amazon. So it came and we tried to install it, etc. etc. Anyway it turns out Apple won't upgrade you from an educational version, which I didn't know.

Where can I go from here? Do I basically have to pay the full $1299 to apple for the full version? Is there really no upgrade path from EDU? Adobe has one, and it seems like Apple used to. Is this new? Or did I not look at things very closely?

I also have the option to buy the EDU version again, for about the same price as this upgrade was, but if I do that, I might as well just seek out a serial number for this upgrade sitting in my living room instead of returning it to amazon. So I don't really want to do that either.

I'm just taken aback that there is no upgrade path from education.

Has anyone run into this type of thing?

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 02:40 AM

I hope that you are able to upgrade from an EDU version because Im looking to getting the studio sometime soon. Even though I need another external hard drive and display more.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 07:17 AM

Talk to Apple - I think they will help you, they have in the past.
I have Mac

DeathMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
I hope that you are able to upgrade from an EDU version because Im looking to getting the studio sometime soon. Even though I need another external hard drive and display more.
According to this page, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...6&vi=tech-data

You cannot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules