Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best DVD burning app for OS X? Looking for specific feature.

Best DVD burning app for OS X? Looking for specific feature.
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 12:52 PM

My buddy at work today showed me a cool program for Windows called DVDecrypter. When you burn a DVD, it allows you to change some bits or whatever on the DVD-R/+R that tells the computer it's a real DVD and not a DVD-R/+R. Apparently it also allows DVD-R/+Rs to run on older DVD players (like mine) that don't support burned DVDs.

Are there any programs like that for the Mac?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 01:35 PM

I haven't "backed-up" a dvd in a while on my PC, but I know my father uses DVD shrink. From what I remember DVDecrypter is a program designed to crack the encryption of a commerically pressed DVD and extract the data onto your HDD. You then need a program to compress the data to fit on a DVD-R. For a mac you might want to look for "DVDbackup" and "DVD2oneX." These programs, along with toast, will allow you to rip, compress, and burn a normal pressed DVD onto a playable DVD+/-R for viewing in your choice of DVD players. Most new DVD players have no problems with burns (though some of the cheaper DVD players still have media that they like and media that they don't like). I find a PS2 or newer Xbox (read: newer model of the origional xbox) to be good DVD "backup" players.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Meritocracy
Dec 21, 2005, 04:25 AM

He's talking about bitsetting +R media to be read as a DVD-ROM for better compatibility on standalones. This is a totally different issue which essentially has nothing to do with decrypting commercially pressed discs, DVDecrypter etc., and is solely for +R media as -R discs typically provide better compatibility than standard +R.

BTW, it's dependant on your burner...many recent models offer bitsetting, most older units don't. If your burner supports it, DVDPlusTool will do just fine.
( Last edited by Meritocracy; Dec 21, 2005 at 04:32 AM. )
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

Forum Links
Forum Rules