Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iSight set-up

iSight set-up
tomevans
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 10:22 AM

Purchased an iSight on Christmas Eve with the intention of 'seeing' my elderly sister & nephew in Canada on Christmas Day. Followed the instructions to the letter my end in setting up the web-cam.

Nephew uses a Windows PC and we agreed to use MSN Messenger. Alas, we could send text messeges to each other via Messenger but we failed miserably on the camera side!

Has anyone any experience of seeting up an iSight that they could share with me please? I'd be deliughted to hear from you as I'd like to try and contact me nephew via the iSight route again soon!

Thanks!

Tom

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2005, 10:49 AM

MSN messenger for mac does not support webcam
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

tomevans  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
MSN messenger for mac does not support webcam
Thanks. IF MSN Messenger is out of the equation, what system to you suggest I use for a cross-platform (Mac-2-PC) link-up please?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2005, 12:27 PM

From what I understand, from research I have done myself as I too would like to do what you are trying to do, it is not possible to video conference between mac & PC. I know audio works, but im pretty sure video doesn't. If anyone can correct me on this, then please do...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

esXXI
Senior User
Dec 28, 2005, 12:35 PM

The latest AIM works with iChat for video chats (so I believe).

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2005, 12:39 PM

aMSN is also supposed to do Webcam with MSN Messenger. Find it on MacUpdate. It has just been released in a final version. Version 0.95 I believe.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 28, 2005, 01:56 PM

This is not an iMac question, it's an applications question.

And I can confirm that iChat video works with the latest AIM for Windows. Beware: AIM for Windows only supports video on Windows XP, not on earlier versions such as Windows 2000.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules