Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How to firmware reset without the AC adapter?

How to firmware reset without the AC adapter?
doctorb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 01:30 AM

Hi guys,

I just updated by 4g Ipod photo and it is telling me that I need to do a firmware reset by plugging it into my wall adapter. Unfortunately... I lost my wall adapter and have been relying on USB2.0 to charge my ipod for a long time. Any ideas how i can perform the reset without an AC adapter? My screen is stuck and it won't let me do anything until i perform this reset.

For that matter... how do people with iPod nano's update their ipods? They have no ac adapter included in their sets...

Thanks!

bourgeoisie
Jan 26, 2006, 02:21 AM

as common as ipods are, have you considered borrowing a wall adapter from a friend? everyone and their mother has an ipod and it only takes about 30 seconds to do the reset...

that said, i don't know of any way to bypass the wall adapter step, but good luck!
green links don't belong to me!

crooner
Senior User
Jan 26, 2006, 03:21 AM

Not the most considerate advice I've seen...

Are you near an Apple store? How about a major electronics store that carries iPods? Surely one of these places might let you use one of their AC adapter for the firmware update. Just a thought.

And isn't there a rule here against animated signatures?

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

doctorb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 03:35 AM

Thanks for the advice! I guess there is no trick way to do this except to find an AC adapter somewhere. I might just ask a few friends or stroll into a BestBuy.

What is perplexing to me is that Apple requires us to use an AC adapter to firmware reset. So really... in the new iPod Video and nano, where no AC adapter is supplied, how are we supposed to firmware reset? Are we to make the choice of never updating or going to the local electronics store and using a demo adapter?

crooner
Senior User
Jan 26, 2006, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by doctorb
Thanks for the advice! I guess there is no trick way to do this except to find an AC adapter somewhere. I might just ask a few friends or stroll into a BestBuy.

What is perplexing to me is that Apple requires us to use an AC adapter to firmware reset. So really... in the new iPod Video and nano, where no AC adapter is supplied, how are we supposed to firmware reset? Are we to make the choice of never updating or going to the local electronics store and using a demo adapter?

Some of the other guys around here like analogika or icruise (I know I’m leaving a lot of very smart folks out - sorry) will know better, but methinks the issue is that as long as the iPod (perhaps only nanos and 5Gs) are fully charged and connected to a 'puter via USB they can accept the update. The key here is having a good charge. Same kinda thing when you try to sync on too low a charge... you'll end up waiting for the battery to get more juice before it will sync. At least that's been my experience.

And you hit on a very good point... while I can understand Apple cutting back on in the box extras, an AC adapter isn't an extra. What must they costs Apple? 12¢ each? C'mon, Steve-o! You can spare the extra few bucks! You're the single largest share holder in Disney now!

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

crooner
Senior User
Jan 26, 2006, 03:46 AM

dp.

bourgeoisie
Jan 26, 2006, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by crooner
Not the most considerate advice I've seen...

Are you near an Apple store? How about a major electronics store that carries iPods? Surely one of these places might let you use one of their AC adapter for the firmware update. Just a thought.

And isn't there a rule here against animated signatures?
i'm new here, yah, but i don't really get where the attitude is coming from, i was simply suggesting that he ask a friend thinking that maybe he didn't even think of the option. if you have a better idea, say it, but there was no need to criticize my post, it was only a suggestion.

ps. part of what makes us mac people is attitude, don't forget that
green links don't belong to me!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 26, 2006, 07:32 PM

I believe that the iPod will detect the fact that it's plugged into an actual USB port and refuse to commit the firmware update. Mine sat there for quite some time after my last update and did nothing except show me the "Plug Me Into AC" icon. It was FULLY charged at the time, too.

Now, why would Apple NOT include an AC adapter for a device that CANNOT have its firmware updated without one? I'm still at a loss on that one.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2006, 10:03 AM

I may be incorrect, but I think I just read something that said the 5Gs can accept firmware updates while connected to USB.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rparke1
Banned
Jan 28, 2006, 05:06 PM

when i updated i was on vacation from home and didnt have my wall charger with me, but i had my monster fm tuner/charger . i pluged the ipod in after the update and this worked.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2006, 05:14 PM

I have owned every generation of iPod except the new video iPod and I have NEVER needed the AC adapter for a firmware update. I now own a Nano and I updated its firmware without the adapter. Just make sure the iPod battery has enough juice so it won't die during the update.

Chris

doctorb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2006, 03:42 AM

Just got back from the gf's place and used her AC adapter to fix my problem. I tried resetting the ipod and playing with the hold switch, but in the end, I ended up having to use the AC adapter. I also had full juice in my ipod at the time, so it wasn't related to that.

Anyway, if the 5g ipod and nano can do firmware update without an AC adapter, i suppose i can see why Apple doesn't include the AC adapter anymore. Most people keep their comps running all the time anyway, right?

Thanks for all the help!

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 12:10 AM

Unfortunately, USB 2.0 does not provide enough power compared to Firewire to adequetly do the job of charging a totally dead 5th gen iPod or nano.

So with the new iPods, one must not let the charge get so low on their iPod to require an AC adapter, or they must purchase one.

Problem is, if the iPod is crashed, it won't charge. So you have a situation where your iPod is crashed and won't charge off your USB, and then it is a paper-weight unless you have an AC adapter or have the Genius Bar plug in your iPod.

I think this is kinda weak on Apple's part.

Now, those with firewire can still power their iPods with Firewire and perhaps resurrect a totally dead iPod.

I don't really know why Apple ditched firewire. I suppose it is cheaper than to include two cables in the box.

Some advice to those who have better things to do with $29 that Apple charges for the AC adapter: Just ask for one at the Apple Store! Claim you lost yours from your 4th gen or earlier and they probably have extras from demo units that they have in the back of the store.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules