Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Duo Fans

iMac Duo Fans
CodeRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 04:52 PM

Hello.

I'm curious on how my iMac's fans should sound like. I find it hard to describe, but my iMac sort of sounds like a TV on the highest volume level but with no signal, as in a black screen. That fuzzy sound. Is this normal? Its not loud, but I hear it.

-CodeRed

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 04:59 PM

Its normal to hear some buzzing ye, its not gunna be completly silent..
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

palple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Hello.

I'm curious on how my iMac's fans should sound like. I find it hard to describe, but my iMac sort of sounds like a TV on the highest volume level but with no signal, as in a black screen. That fuzzy sound. Is this normal? Its not loud, but I hear it.

-CodeRed
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, anyway I don't think I would be happy if it sounds like a TV on the highest volume level but with no signal!
iMac fp 15'' G4 700Mhz, 256MB RAM, 10.3.8
iBook 12'' G4 1.2Ghz, 768MB RAM, 60G, 10.4.0

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2006, 05:10 PM

I can't hear anything with mine. I don't think the fans have come on since I got it. Either that or they're very quiet.

svenreed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 12:18 AM

ive had my intel imac since monday night/tuesday morning. and it was on continuously until this evening. i could barely hear anything from the comptuer, and definitly nothing from the speakers.

Spartan24
Jan 27, 2006, 02:30 PM

nothing like what you have described with my 20" - 2.0. As a matter of fact this is the quietest computer I have ever owned and just upgraded from a 20" - 1.25 G4 iMac.

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Hello.

-CodeRed

I know what you mean, there is another thread with the same question. At first I thought it was some type of wireless signals in the guys house but I guess it is not afterall. I have the 20 inch Intel Mac and I never heard that buzzing noise, I guess some of the machines come with that defect, I would take it to an Apple store. Maybe is not your fan, it might be the sound card noise you might be hearing.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2006, 12:42 AM

I think I know what you guy sare describing. Its almost like very faint beeping and clicking that sounds like we're sending signals into space for aliens to pick up. LOL You know what I mean. It sounds like very faint digital pulses and signals - high in pitch and can be quick rapid. This is is something that I have happening on my Centrino based PC laptop and from what I understand, it is common on Centrinos and similar...its some noise from the chipset. It drives me crazy on my laptop only because my dual xeon box with the massive fans is actually more silent overall. Less intrusive. Its a lot easier to live with a very deep dull roar (not loud though) than a quiet high pitch noise.

Anyway if you dig around the net regarding centrino laptop noise, it might give you some information about whats going on.

Ouroboros
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by svtcontour
I think I know what you guy sare describing. Its almost like very faint beeping and clicking that sounds like we're sending signals into space for aliens to pick up. LOL You know what I mean. It sounds like very faint digital pulses and signals - high in pitch and can be quick rapid. This is is something that I have happening on my Centrino based PC laptop and from what I understand, it is common on Centrinos and similar...its some noise from the chipset. It drives me crazy on my laptop only because my dual xeon box with the massive fans is actually more silent overall. Less intrusive. Its a lot easier to live with a very deep dull roar (not loud though) than a quiet high pitch noise.

Anyway if you dig around the net regarding centrino laptop noise, it might give you some information about whats going on.

This is the most incredible computer I've ever owned. I put in a loop about 30 software instrument tracks in garageband, was surfing the internet and installing software. NO FAN whatsoever. I don't even know if this thing has a fan. I've NEVER heard it - it is fast too. Amazing computer!

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2006, 05:32 PM

Hi, 17" iMac Core Duo - no noise from the fans. Very low vol hum from HD occasionally. Bloody brilliant computer. Best computer I have ever owned or seen! Replaces my G4 1Ghz TiBook. I never though I would sell it and now look, it has gone and now I have an iMac. The keyboard, the mouse, the remote, the screen, the speed, the quality, the beauty. Sorry if I sound a bit mad but this computes inspires passion!

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 30, 2006, 03:26 AM

yeah, they're quiet as hell. I have a Rev. A iMac G5 and it's easily twice as loud. man this is some good good stuff.. cool and quiet... and more powerful!

handras
Jan 30, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ouroboros
This is the most incredible computer I've ever owned. I put in a loop about 30 software instrument tracks in garageband, was surfing the internet and installing software. NO FAN whatsoever. I don't even know if this thing has a fan. I've NEVER heard it - it is fast too. Amazing computer!
I agree with you. It's not completely silent, but this is the most quiet Mac has was made. Maybe the 1.25 Mac mini is equal to the intel iMac.

codex57
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2006, 01:53 PM

I agree, it is incredible. Completely silent would be a bad thing. I was actually wishing for some more noise cuz I couldn't tell if the computer was doing (like installing or processing or something) anything or not.

Ouroboros
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by codex57
I agree, it is incredible. Completely silent would be a bad thing. I was actually wishing for some more noise cuz I couldn't tell if the computer was doing (like installing or processing or something) anything or not.

Well OK you're right. There is computer noise, but its like when you turn on an amp, TV, or other similar electronic device. There is a hum that lets you know its on. I moved it into my small music studio and I could hear this. In the other room for a while where I was setting it up, the size of the room and ambient noise made it so I couldn't hear any noise from it at all!

What is amazing to me though is that you can really tax this thing and it seems to just quietly smile back at you regardless of what you do to it. It has amazing heat management. There is no processor control in the Energy Setting pref pane anymore - maybe you'll never need it anyway. I have 2 GB of RAM in it now and it is so fast!

JustinHoMi
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 07:32 PM

I've had the 20" core duo imac for a few days now... it's incredibly quiet. I can barely hear some fan or hard drive noise, but not unless I'm paying attention. I'm VERY picky about computer noise. In fact, I nearly quit my job years ago because I couldn't take the noise of the old iMacs buzzing.

I've spent a lot of time making my PC quiet (quiet fans, hard drives, etc), and it sounds like a tornado compared to the iMac.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 10:58 PM

Got to agree - I have a 20" core duo - and its near silent.

I am still getting used to the fact that I can open any number of apps, play movies, etc, and everything is near instantaneous, and completely silent...beautiful machine.

Upgrading from my sawtooth G4 tower, Office under rosetta runs faster than on the sawtooth native. Amazing.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

JustinHoMi
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2006, 05:07 AM

A friend of mine works for Intel. I told him that I just got an Intel iMac, and this was his response:

Does your imac say 'weeeeeeeee' ? I read an artical that said the Intel made for apple processors actually make a noise, not the fan but the processor itself say's 'weeeeee' like its having fun inside the case!

Forum Links
Forum Rules