Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Software for controlling iTunes in the background

Software for controlling iTunes in the background
macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 01:04 PM

OK right now I use X-Tunes which is a wonderful freeware utility that lets me control iTunes by bringing up this transparent controll via a hotkey combo, like Launchbar.

Since X-tunes is a preference pane and hasn't been updated in two years, it appears that I won't be able to use it on my intel iMac.

Is there an alternative software for this?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2006, 01:11 PM

Click the (+)-window-widget in iTunes. It will minimize to a mini-controller (you can even shrink it down to only the control-buttons by resizing it). With this you can control iTunes in the background (clicking the mini-controller's buttons doesn't bring iTunes to the front). Alternatively you can also make the mini-controller hover over all other windows (see iTunes->Preferences->Advanced). And you can use the iTunes Dock-menu to play/pause.

brza
Feb 2, 2006, 02:17 PM

You can download widgets. Tons of them. Whether for Dashboard or Konfabulator (the Yahoo! version which is available for Panther and presumably Tiger). I don't like using them, but there are a lot of iTunes ones available.
You can choose several settings, including having transparency and having the app stick on top of everything else so that it's always right there.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 02:36 PM

But none of those seem as elegant as X-Tunes

Is there any other software like this for PPC that's being updated more regularly so I can hope for an intel version?

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2006, 07:38 PM

If you want hotkey controls, check out Menuet, Synergy, Quicksilver, or ByteController.

Forum Links
Forum Rules