Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Visio like program for mac

Visio like program for mac
mikeini
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 06:35 PM

i know that with most major programs, there is the same or an equivilant program from pc to mac.

in this case im looking for something like visio. the reason it has to be M$ Visio is becuase i need to use its chart ability to create a spacial represenation of various rooms (like door here, computer here, desk here, etc etc etc).

I tried omnigraffle but it is too limited in its spacial capabilities (in terms of getting the door icon and similar things.. the best i could find was "office" and that just has a desk chair and computer .. i need a lil more than that).

any suggestions?

Mike

SWFan
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 09:20 PM

You mean something like OmniGraffle?

mikeini  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by SWFan
You mean something like OmniGraffle?
thanks for the reply.. but i tried omnigraffle and the problem is that the stencils that it has both online as well as built are are just slightly incomplete.. i need to do a spacial orientation/map/chart , whatever you want to call it of more than just an office and thats all that i can find.

any places i could find them online or another program?

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2006, 10:53 PM

you could try visio through virtual pc if youhave a friend who has got it.

or possibly you cna try copy the images that you want from visio and import them somehow to omni graffle.

goodluck

robM

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2006, 11:10 PM

oh! ive just seen an application called "canvas X". looks like a complicated application but looks powerful.

SWFan
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 11:11 PM

You can make your own objects in Omnigraffle. I guess I don't understand this whole "spacial" thing you're talking about. What exactly does Omnigraffle not do that you need? If its purely that it doesn't have pre-built icons for a wood desk and only for a metal desk, then I don't see what the big deal is, make your own objects, then move them around. Omnigraffle while great at flowcharting is also a half-decent illustrator-type program.

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2006, 12:02 AM

I have to say Visio has a very nice collection of furniture objects that I have in the past used to do floorplanning in my house. I have failed to find the equivalent for OmniGraffle. Making my own would not be worth the effort. Anyone know of any good furniture templates for OmniGraffle?

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 09:40 AM

How about saving a visio document with those objects included in it, then importing it into OmniGraffle Pro 4.x and create your own OG stencil from them... is there anything difficult about that?

If you don't have Pro, get a free day trial licence and use it as a way of doing this. If you don't want to do that, PM me and I'll have a go at it myself.

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2006, 05:24 PM

Hmm, I'll download the demo of Pro and give it a try...

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 07:24 PM

If it works, can you let us know and also post the stencil so that others can have it too (or supply it to OmniGroup for adding to their extras page).

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2006, 09:54 AM

Great idea! Make sure to save the Visio diagram in Visio XML format. OmniGraffle can import that format, but not (as far as I recall) the native Visio format.

OmniGraffle is an outstanding application. I use it extensively for block diagrams, flowcharts, UML models, and the like in the course of my work as a software engineer. Pictures from OG have a certain polish to them that Visio, Powerpoint, and other such programs lack.

Originally Posted by JKT
How about saving a visio document with those objects included in it, then importing it into OmniGraffle Pro 4.x and create your own OG stencil from them... is there anything difficult about that?

If you don't have Pro, get a free day trial licence and use it as a way of doing this. If you don't want to do that, PM me and I'll have a go at it myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules