Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > an imac, an emac or a macmini. on a budget, help!!

an imac, an emac or a macmini. on a budget, help!!
tomikk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2006, 03:11 PM

i have a limited budget and need to upgrade from my old system, a G3 iMac sage OS9. This new upgrade has to last me as long as possible. I was considering an iMac intel with no add-ons (scrapes the top of my budget); would it be better to go for a macmini, with a cheaper non-mac monitor or an emac?

Would a macmini with 1GB ram be worth getting over an intel mac with 512MB for example?

Also is an emac better in any technical way than a macmini or not?

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by tomikk
Also is an emac better in any technical way than a macmini or not?
Only in a few minor ways is an eMac better:-
-It has 2 easily accessible memory slots.
-It has a 3.5 inch rather than a 2.5 inch harddrive and so its disk is faster.
-It has 2 IDE busses and so it may be a tiny bit faster copying from the optical drive to the HD - though I think other factors may come into account here.
-It has analogue sound in.
-It can (unofficially) support two monitors with 'Screen Spanning Doctor' - the mac mini can only do 1.
-3 USB ports

However, the mac mini offers:-
-Neat, pretty etc.
-Near silent - the eMac has an audible fan.
-DVI (and VGA of course)
-BYO monitor with potentially higher resolutions.

If the mini had been availabke when I bought my eMac I would have got one and possibly lots of accessories to go with it.

To answer your other questions I think sometone else will say this, but if you really need a computer now for something serious (like work or study), buy the best you can afford.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 03:59 PM

I'd say the iMac. Its going to be leaps ahead of either the eMac or the Mac Mini in speed / memory specs / form factor - everything. If you can afford it, it will also last you much longer than a machine with an ageing G4 processor in it. Also, IIRC, the eMac is no longer available to the public, but only to the educational sector.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2006, 09:00 PM

I LOVE my Mac Mini (but not in the biblical sense). I have the 1.42 with combo and built in BT and Airport. I'm running it on an inexpensive 17" VGA LCD monitor. If you already have a monitor, KB and mouse, then all you need is the mini. I still am running with the 512 meg of ram. I'm sure that 1 gig would be better, but I am satisfied with performance.

What would be helpful is knowing just what your budget is and what you already have. Buy the most computer that you can afford. I covet a 20" iMac, but even the new $200 discount for the G5 still puts the price out of reach. I am trying to save, and until I have enough for what is offered when I am ready, the Mini will suffice.
macforray

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2006, 08:29 AM

Do you need to buy right this minute or could you wait a month or two? The Mac mini is due an update (as of today, it is 130 days since its last one), so it could gain better specs than it currently has and put it closer to the intel iMac than it currently is. If you can't then the iMac is going to be the better buy.

It also looks like the eMac has in effect been end-of-lifed for consumers. I wouldn't expect to see it get any updates and it is very, very long in the tooth (IIRC it is approaching something like a year since they were last updated). The mac mini has effectively replaced it for consumers.

The way I would look at your purchase - are you likely to still be on a budget the next time you buy a Mac? If so then a mini is the better fit (assuming you can wait for the next update) as it will allow you to keep your peripherals and monitor for your next purchase. It's a tough one to call though as you do limit yourself to only 1GB RAM (at least at the moment you do) and a relatively poor graphics card (though an update to the mini could improve that considerably - it will probably be able to support Core Image/Video whereas the GPU in the current Mac mini can't).

All I can tell you is that the mini's are very nice little machines which (even the current model) will be a big improvement over your sage iMac. An iMac would be even better of course...

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2006, 02:49 PM

check http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....3.1.1.0?63,75
the imac prices are pretty good there.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

tomikk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 02:40 PM

thank you for your replies all.

I have one further question:

Do you think a macmini with 1GB of Ram would be worth getting over an iMac intel with only 512MB of Ram? Or do the advantages in processor and video card etc of the imac intel completely outweigh the extra Ram?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 05:58 PM

Do you think a macmini with 1GB of Ram would be worth getting over an iMac intel with only 512MB of Ram? Or do the advantages in processor and video card etc of the imac intel completely outweigh the extra Ram?
My vote is still for the iMac.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 06:44 PM

You can always upgrade the RAM down the road. With an iMac, you get a nice widescreen 17" display, more than double the processing power, much larger and faster hard drive, dual layer super drive, DVI-out, optical in/out, 2 firewire ports, etc. The list goes on and on. Heck, a 512 SO-DIMM of DDR2 should be pretty cheap, and get cheaper in the future.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
My vote is still for the iMac.
My vote is his vote.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2006, 11:49 PM

The iMac will be much, much faster than the Mini, and a better investment, in my opinion.

The high end Mini (1.42, BT, AE, Superdrive, etc.) is decent for what it is, though, after you add a 1gb stick and add an external 3.5" hard drive enclosure/hub like this one:

http://www.newertech.com/ministack

If you have a spare 7200rpm hard drive laying around, you'd come out cheaper with the Mini and the $69 bare bones enclosure/hub.

Quick price comparison

Mac Mini - $699
1gb PC 3200 DIMM- $80 (or $100 if you buy Apple's memory.)
Ministack enclosure/hub - $69 (assuming you have a 7200rpm hard drive.)
$848 ($868 with Apple memory.)

iMac Core Duo 17" - $1299
$1299

iMac G5 20" - $1499
$1499

If you're used to a G3 iMac, the Mini will be fast enough for you. The iMac is a better investment for the future, however. It's up to you.

P.S. Get Applecare!
( Last edited by Zubir; Feb 9, 2006 at 12:05 AM. )

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 9, 2006, 01:41 PM

The Mac mini is the least expensive option here. The eMac is the middle road and offers you a monitor but not significant real world performance. And the iMac shouldn't even be in the same category.

The general consensus here is right on the money. Buy at the high end of your budget. That means a longer lasting computer. Seeing as how both the mini and the eMac are end of life considering their processors (but they are still amazing computers... my girlfriend's family has an eMac that is rough and tough and still going strong and my father has a mini that is great for him) i would go for the iMac.

But then again, I am biased. I have a 20" Intel iMac and I'm in love.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

tas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 07:48 PM

Where would he get an eMac these days?

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2006, 09:15 PM

Why don't you wait a bit until the new Intel Minis are introduced? That way you'll get rougly G5 speed (I'm guessing it'll be a single core) for a lot less.

volcano
Senior User
Feb 13, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by tas
Where would he get an eMac these days?
eBay or Craigslist.

tomikk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 12:04 PM

Thank you all very much for your replies...

I would be able to get an emac as I am in higher education.

However I am erring against the emac, and basically am settled upon waiting until the new intel mac minis arrive and getting one of them. However I would also desperately like an intel imac and might pay the extra anyway.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 12:29 PM

If the intel Mac minis are coming soon, in all likelihood it will be next tuesday as Apple is holding an event to announce "fun new products" (28th Feb). The rumour mills are also suggesting that stock of the current Mac mini is very low suggesting it has been end-of-lifed.

If it doesn't arrive next Tuesday I would say you may as well go for the iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules