Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > headphone jack on intel imac too shallow?

headphone jack on intel imac too shallow?
uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 9, 2006, 05:55 PM

For those of you with intel imacs (or maybe G5 imacs), does it seem like the headphone jack is too shallow?

I plugged in my speaker plug, and it isn't flush, like it is with the powerbook. I don't have a G5 imac for comparison.

The sound works, but it is a tad softer than i expected. I tried pushing the speaker plug in further, but no luck and i don't want to break my 8 hour old imac. it also is just as shallow for the audio-in plug.

for the record, i have the front row video card bug (20" with 256mb vram) but if it is a software problem, then i can live with it.

this is SO much better than a powerbook. ergonomically, brighter screen (i had the latest revision with the brighter screen).
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

avantpop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
For those of you with intel imacs (or maybe G5 imacs), does it seem like the headphone jack is too shallow?
Yeah, line in seems the same way. They both seem to work fine. I was actually pleasently surpised by the volume of the built in speakers on the imac. Much louder than I expected, though I prefer a little more stereo separation so I use some externals.

Originally Posted by uicandrew
this is SO much better than a powerbook. ergonomically, brighter screen (i had the latest revision with the brighter screen).
I completely agree. I'm coming from a 12in ibook, which I can't use after getting used to the 20in screen and brightness levels. As a bonus, since I came from the ibook the speed in Photoshop and Flash seems amazing

As a quick note, I had fantastic service at the Brea Mall Apple store. They felt bad that they couldn't find the wireless package in the back so they just gave me a wireless keyboard at no cost to go with the wired package.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 07:40 AM

Yep, same on my Intel iMac, and on the G5 iMac I had before this. Im pretty sure its got something to do with the fact that the audio out port is also an optical audio out port, though dont quote me on tht
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 12:32 PM

that was cool of the apple store avantpop, but what do you mean as the "wireless package"? does that include, a keyboard, mouse, airport station?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 01:37 PM

I have an iMic, should I use that as soundout for my iMac CD?

avantpop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
that was cool of the apple store avantpop, but what do you mean as the "wireless package"? does that include, a keyboard, mouse, airport station?
I just meant the imac with the wireless keyboard and mouse combo. I actually am glad that I ended up with the wireless keyboard and mighty mouse. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the mighty mouse, but I've found the scroll ball on it to be useable.

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Feb 10, 2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
I have an iMic, should I use that as soundout for my iMac CD?
there's no need to. the imac CD has a sound out (headphone) and a sound in (microphone) you can do both at once.

thanks for your input guys. i was getting worried about a defective imac.

i actually ordered mine from b&h photo, and i got a wireless keyboard and mouse upgrade "on accident." the webpage advertised a mighty mouse and wired keyboard, but the price was a BIT higher than everywhere else, so i guess it was more a typo than a shipping error
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules