Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cooling off new G4 in Pismo

Cooling off new G4 in Pismo
VetPsychWars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 09:13 AM

I got a G4 upgrade from Fastmac, the advanced upgrade. Came with no instruction, so I just pulled the tape off of the core, screwed the heatsink on, and called it done.

Then I noted the fan revs up to high speed any time anything remotely taxing happens.

Figuring the thermal transfer was no good, I got a Shin Etsu thermal pad. Pulled the heat sink off, totally cleaned the old pad off of the heat sink, cleaned all of the current crap off of the processor, and applied the Shin Etsu thermal pad.

Wow, what a difference. Lots cooler all around, even a small bit underneath. I'm convinced it's making a big difference, and so far no high speed fan.

Tom

rjt1000
Senior User
Feb 15, 2006, 10:37 AM

Hi,

Are you happy with the G4/550 upgrade from Fastmac?
Good performance boost?
Decent customer service?
Did you return your original cpu and did they give you prompt credit?

Enjoy,

Rich

Lil Al 1.33 12 inch (but still got my Pismo doin light duty)

VetPsychWars  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 02:17 PM

I'm happy with the performance boost. I don't expect the Pismo to be anywhere like a modern machine, but the vast bulk of my computing at home is email, web, and writing. Occasionally I will watch video files, listen to music, rip a CD, etc. Also work with photographs.

So, in that respect, yes, I'm happy with it.

The customer service was adequate. I'd been corresponding with someone over there who seems nice enough.

I have not yet received my deposit back.

Tom

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 08:15 AM

I missed a chance to get one of these around Macworld for only $200. Now they are $289.

Will that be your final price?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

VetPsychWars  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 08:58 AM

That was my invoice cost, yes. Their web site is terribly out of date with respect to cost.

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules