Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best travel mouse for my powerbook?

Best travel mouse for my powerbook?
DeusExMachina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 02:27 AM

I am looking for a new mouse for my powerbook. I am currently using a logitech MX510 mouse which works out very well for home use. The problem is that is is kind of a large mouse, and I need something a bit thinner for my sleeve case. I was thinking of a apple mighty mouse since I currently have a apple pro mouse as my travel mouse, and its size is near perfect. Anyways I just want a good mouse for travel, and here are the requirements of what I am looking for. I want a mouse that has at least two buttons and a scroll wheel. Bluetooth wireless would be nice, but really isn't needed. what is very important is a semi small design that isn't too small (have slightly large hands), apple pro mouse size seems to be near ideal.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2006, 07:55 PM

Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro or PilotMouse Laser Wireless Mini

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 08:19 PM

Logitech® V270 Cordless Optical Notebook Mouse for Bluetooth®

mojo5436
Feb 17, 2006, 01:40 PM

f1000, have you had any connection problems with this mouse? I have the V270, and am using it with my laptop for work. I have a kensington USB Bluetooth adapter, and every few minutes or so the connection is lost and the mouse needs to be turned off and back on to reconnect. I'll be receiving my Macbook Pro sometime this quater, and was wondering how this will work with these laptops. Great mouse, could be the Dell laptop or USB adapter that's having the problem (sounds about right).
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz C2D 2 GB SDRAM 7200 100GB Glossy
Power Mac G4/400Mhz/AGP Graphics

mrmister
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 04:38 PM

Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro. No contest.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by mojo5436
f1000, have you had any connection problems with this mouse?
I use an MX900 with my PowerBook's built-in Bluetooth receiver, and I've rarely had connection problems with this mouse. I've had relatively frequent connection problems, however, with my Apple Wireless Keyboard.

ender78
Feb 17, 2006, 05:34 PM

I find traditional notebook mice way to small. I purchased a wired Logitech mouse that I find comfortable.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 06:33 PM

I have a Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro (wired version) and the retractable cord is great for portability. Size is good, comfortable fit, the mouse works well etc, but my one and only complaint about it - the scroll wheel is horrendously noisy. My folks are always complaining when I'm iChatting with them that there is a loud frog in the room croaking away! I can't use it at night for fear of disturbing my neighbours...

Btw, I've never installed any drivers for it - everything functions out of the box in 10.4. I assume this is largely true of most mice these days, but that's a fyi just in case it isn't.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 06:44 PM

Another notebook mouse I've had some experience of is this Logitech one. Instead of retracting, the cord wraps around the mouse and is locked into place via a popper on the base of the mouse and USB plug. It is also a travel nice design but not quite as easy to use as the Kensington's retractable cord. What is undoubtedly better though is the scroll wheel is near silent. The mouse also feels better built too, but it is slightly smaller than the Kensington.

HTH

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 02:07 AM

This silver Logitech Bluetooth mouse is working real well for me; It fits my hand quite nicely, and the tracking is superb— a real problem with the other Bluetooth mice. It's not as large as the Kensington Bluetooth Optical Mouse, but more "moveable". I can't believe I've spent so much money buying optical mice; I may have a review site just dedicated to that task .

( Last edited by iomatic; Feb 25, 2006 at 01:47 PM. )

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 04:10 AM

I use the Mighty Mouse with my Powerbook at school.
13" (Black) MacBook: 2.0GHz/1.5GB/120GB/SuperDrive. --Lacie 500GB External Hard Drive.--Red Monster Sleeve--Radtech ScreensavR--Mighty Mouse.
80GB iPod [WHITE] with iSee
*PROVEHITO IN ALTUM*

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2006, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic
This silver Logitech Bluetooth mouse is working real well for me; It fits my hand quite nicely, and the tracking is superb— a real problem with the other Bluetooth mice.

Wow, that would really look good with a MB/PB!

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 06:11 AM

I bought the Radtech BT500, it's small, lightweight, comes with it's own 'soft' hardcase, works on two AAA batteries and it's way better than the Macally mouse I bought with the PB; the BT500 responds much faster.
That would be my recommendation
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by f1000

Wow, that would really look good with a MB/PB!
It looks good. It's a bit darker in silver, but the industrial design is a bit different anyway, in that it doesn't clash completely. It's nice.

Chase265
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 03:49 PM

for ultimate portability I say this one

http://www.newtonperipherals.com/

I don't think its even out yet..but it does look cool, it lists at $69.99

rparke1
Banned
Feb 26, 2006, 06:45 PM

i really hope that mouse catches on. it looks really cool, and such an ingenious mouse solution (the newton) i currently use the logitech v200 (blue version) and am very happy with it. very smash resistant mouse too. it fell out of my bag at an airport xray line and dropped onto tile and someone stepped on it full force on accident and it didnt crack and it still works! :-) no signal droppage that ive encountered with this mouse. AND, it even works on glass/wood tables which seem to be a problem with some optical mice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules